NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Spray or trickle of water

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Spray or trickle of water
    Posted: July-28-2007 at 1:15pm
I have a 1966 Skylark with the Super Saber Buick V-6 225.Upon buying exhaust manifolds from a "CC" Fan,,WHICH HE SOLD ME $250 WORTH OF JUNK!!!!(Chris Phillip)and won't return $ on, My question is, Should a spray only come out of the exhaust or spray and a little trickle of water? The left side has both, the right side just spray.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 2:21pm
Are you talking about, out of the end of the exhaust pipe itself or somewhere in the boat. Sounds like a silly question I know. Anyway at idle I would believe it should be similar to setting your spray nozzle on a garden hose to fan. As you increase RPM you should get more water.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 3:15pm
Are your running the boat on the trailer and observing the water coming out the back of the exhaust? If so, are you getting enough water into the engine? A hose may not be enough to keep up with the demand. A technique is to fill a 25 gallon (+/- 10 gallons) trash can or similar container with water and keep the hose running inside of it. Then connect about a 6 - 10 ft length of ribbed hose to your boats water intake with the other end in the bucket. Then when you run the engine you don't have to worry about not pulling enough water. Also, be sure the boat is sitting somewhat level. You should have water running out of both sides of the exhaust in idle. If you give it a quick burst of gas water should shoot out of both sides then go back to a steady flow.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 6:04pm
Marty, I'm going to have to disagree with Bill as I feel that a garden hose has plenty of water. The exhausts should spit out close to the same amount of water. The only difference is that one side may have the oil cooler in the circuit. What happened to the manifolds you replaced? Did you have a problem with them? What's wrong with the new "junk" manifolds?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Marty, I'm going to have to disagree with Bill as I feel that a garden hose has plenty of water. The exhausts should spit out close to the same amount of water. The only difference is that one side may have the oil cooler in the circuit. What happened to the manifolds you replaced? Did you have a problem with them? What's wrong with the new "junk" manifolds?
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 8:34pm
OK Sorry about the misunderstanding. I usally just hook the end of the hose in the pick-up hose, clamp it off, turn water on wide open then do my maintenence, or whatever I'm doing.The raw water pump is on the left (Driver's) side, the boat is in the driveway with the rear somewhat lower than the bow.I have always noticed a little trickle coming out for years but my dad seems to think different. As for the "JUNK" He sent me a left and right exhaust manifild, and a 2-barrel carb. The carb was supposed to be a 1-barrel,the ehaust were excellant condition, as he says. I think it was arond October,2006 when my posting was, go back in forums to check.My right exhaust (OEM) was rusted up on the inside pretty bad. Water was getting in the oil bigtime.My left one was OK. The two he sent me, luckily the right one was decent, the left one was cracked on the inside 'jackets' front to rear,the end caps were junk the freeze plugs were rusted through. But like I said I took the 'NEW' one and my OEM (factory) one and made one good one. I would still like to get some if any one knows where to find some GOOD ones. The 2-barell carb does me no good cause I have the 1-barell. The 2-barell carbs are a dime a dozen I think. I do have (2) complete 2 barell carbs and intakes now though and one junk 2-barell.I have both ready to go on the boat but just want to keep it original.I'm looking for a 2-spoke OE sterring wheel also. The center is just about cracked all the way around on mine.   I think the trickle is just fine though but my dad seems to think otherwise.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 9:42pm
Marty, Here's new exhaust manifolds for you.

buick v6 manifolds

Edit: The trickle of water without the engine running is fine. It's just what the pressure from the hose is pushing past the raw water pump.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic