NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oil filter leaking... NOT the filter...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil filter leaking... NOT the filter...
    Posted: July-29-2007 at 5:56pm
I have a stock 351 on my 86 2001. I am having an issue with filter leaking. I just got the boat this past may and did the first oil change one month ago. Since then the filter has been leaking... This is not the first time i have done an oil change and never had a issue before with something like this.

1. this filter should be the same filter for a '86 351 truck right?
2. could i be getting to tight?
3. running 20-50 oil... and pressue is 60-80 when running... to high?
4. any one us RTV on the filters?

thanks.
brett

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2007 at 6:14pm
Brett, remove that new filter,look closely at the flange where the O-Ring should seal,you will find there is one still stuck to the flange, wipe well install new filter , have fun.............boat dr

you did say you were using a FL1-A Motorcraft,good filters are cheap, engines are not............
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2007 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Brett, remove that new filter,look closely at the flange where the O-Ring should seal,you will find there is one still stuck to the flange, wipe well install new filter , have fun.............boat dr

you did say you were using a FL1-A Motorcraft,good filters are cheap, engines are not............
he nailed it!
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 11:42am
Boat Doc is right on. You have the old O-Ring stuck on the oil filter flange and just screwed the new filter on top of it. Remove it, replace the filter and you'll be good to go.

NEVER use RTV on the oil filter!!!!!

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 11:12pm
Boat Doc you beat me two it, I always check to make sure the old o-ring didn't stick. Everytime I think about skipping that step, I tell myself that will be the time it happens to you. My luck it would be on the way to GL or someplace fun...
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 11:31pm
Some of the Mercruiser's are so hidden that you do it all by feel.Really no wat to feel the flange and see if the old one stuck,now in that case look at the old filter if it's there your OK.........
On a Ford it has to be abolute stupidity,HELLO is any body out there.Do I really need to wipe the flange and remove that old black nasty oil? Nah got to get to the lake and impress the babes, and drink some suds with my buds..........boat dr
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 12:21am

Pulled the Filter, looked at the Flange, Sliver No black.

I looked at it with a light and used a clean rag.... and got a big BLANK...
Can you get them to tight?

Thanks for the help.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 12:48am
Check the filter also, it could be stuck to the other o-ring and I do believe they can be too tight, hand tight or 1/4 turn after the gasket touches I believe.
BlondieGurl1443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondieGurl1443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 1:33am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

it could be stuck to the other and I do believe they can be too tight, hand jobs work, I believe.

Quinner, you've been hanging out with hollywood too much!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 2:26am
Hand jobs work, you are a sick puppy quinner,I mean really sick.Perverted sense of wording,and always a eye towards sex,you are a disgusting shell of a human.
You are exactly the type of man that you read about in the papers,you are my type of guy.................boat dr
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 7:48am

Hand jobs work, you are a sick puppy quinner,I mean really sick.Perverted sense of wording,and always a eye towards sex,you are a disgusting shell of a human.
You are exactly the type of man that you read about in the papers,you are my type of guy.................boat dr

At least it didn't involve Reids dog this time!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 12:55pm

quinner, you are my type of guy.................boat dr

Sorry Doc, I'm no nurse, prefer girls and sometimes dogs. Good luck with your search though, perhaps Hollywood or Tim would be a good place to start!!
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 4:11pm
I will try one more time....
fixitjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixitjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 7:10pm
I always put a little oil on the new filter gasket to make it slide when tightening. If it is dry and you over tighten it could distort the gasket and create a leak. Good luck.
fixitjim
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by brettmcox brettmcox wrote:

while your trying to find an extra o-ring make sure the filter has the o-ring it's suppose to have and not just one from the old one as per your all silver no black comment, there should be a black o-ring on the filter if there is just a groove/round slot then your missing the gasket all together.
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by brettmcox brettmcox wrote:

while your trying to find an extra o-ring make sure the filter has the o-ring it's suppose to have and not just one from the old one as per your all silver no black comment, there should be a black o-ring on the filter if there is just a groove/round slot then your missing the gasket all together.

The Filter i pulled off had one O-ring. on the Flange there was no old o-ring. I will get a different brand on there this time. and go from there. i heard that i could be the tube going from the block to the oil PSI pick up.

Any other ideas?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 7:59pm
And now comes the rest of the story.This is an ongoing problem for those that have not replaced they will....
Most had a piece of 1/4" brass pipe, that died a slow leaky death.If this is not your problem,replace it NOW.
I used a piece of SCH.80 heavy wall,same OD little hole.The leak there would have put your leak on top of the filter tho,is this possible...........boat dr
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 11:55am
"Most had a piece of 1/4" brass pipe, that died a slow leaky death.If this is not your problem,replace it NOW."

Talking about the sending Unit? If so... i think I will change the filter and then run the boat. IF i see oil then i will feel there first with a clean rag. I will work my way down.
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2007 at 5:53pm
psi sending unit. where do i get it?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2007 at 6:06pm
brett, When I changed out all my gauges in my 77, I found the best price at go2marine.com even with our discount from this site at skidim. Both will have the sending unit but you need to make sure that the resistance and it's range match the gauge you have.

oil pressure sender

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic