Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine shuts off

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
83SNGUY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83SNGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine shuts off
    Posted: July-29-2007 at 11:48pm
OK, I am a new guy to the site but I have owned my 83 SN for 20 years. It currently has 365 hours on the clock. After all these years of basically trouble free fun, it finally put me down. The boat cut off while going across the lake. I stopped, raised the box, looked the engine over and it cranked right up and ran fine the rest of the day. It did this twice. On the third time it would not crank for approx: 45 min. When it did crank I drove it another 20 minutes to the loading ramp without incident.
The 351 still has the old type points and etc. The coil and etc. are original. I did not have any tools on the boat to do any checks when it was stalled so I don't know whether it had fire or not.
Any ideas?????????
mdc615
SeattleFordFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 1:24am
Check for a hot coil, sounds like your coil is going out. When you say it wouldnt crank for 45 minutes, does that mean it would not rotate the engine, or it just would not fire up for 45 minutes?
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 1:27am
Welcome Guy,

Sorry for the problems. Hopefully its something simple; I just had a similar problem and replaced the coil, and I think I've got it fixed.

Have you posted any pictures of your boat to the diaries section?

Again welcome, and I'm sure you can get lots of help here to get your boat out where it and you are happy!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 8:41am
83, Since it wouldn't crank on your 3rd try, Sounds like you are loosing 12 volts to or through the ignition switch. They do go bad. Check that you are getting the volts to it first (B term). Ohm it out and you should have near 0 resistence from B to S (with key turned to start) and B to I (with key to run position) Jiggle the key too. Do not hang extra goodies that weigh very much on the key chain. The bouncing will tear up the switch. (this is true on a car too and it's not cheap for a mechanic to open up a steering column.)
A bad coil will kill the engine but it won't prevent it from cranking.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic