Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help-Newby!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Antney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help-Newby!
    Posted: July-31-2007 at 2:48am
Hello, I'm trying to find out some information regarding a boat I recently purchased. I'm not sure if there is any info you can provide but any would be appreciated. It appears to be a 1956 Atom Skier, I've researched all the models available in catalogs and throughout the internet but the one I have does not follow any of the catalog options etc. Were these boats available in special order configurations back then? Literature says they were powered by a 70HP Gray Marine engine, Mine is powered by a marine GM 265 V8, the engine cradle and drivetrain all appear to be factory installed. It also has a large air tank under the floor for air horns, it has full instrumentation not just the single RPM guage, it even has a cigarette lighter 1956 GM vintage in the dash, it has dual throttle controls on the steering wheel and a foot pedal, has a teakwood engine cowl with the original Correct Craft decals still in place. Has Mahogany deck and a really neat chrome ski tow bar across the back and a very unique chrome "V" on the transom. None of the models I've seen offered in the books or on the internet for sale come close to being equipped this way. It was last registed in Kansas, under the paint I can make out a Texas Registration number, I can't find a hull number unless someone can tell me where to look, there is an engine number on the motor but thats all I can find. Any help would be great, I'm starting to restore the boat and would like as much info as I can get, Thanks for any help!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 7:33am
Antney, You really should post some pictures but here's what I can tell you without seeing it;
The boat didn't come from the factory with the V8.
Engines weren't installed with cradles in the 50's just mounts lagged to the stringers.
It didn't have air horns. WWII surplus electric auto horns were mounted under the deck.
Full instrumentation with the exception of a gas gauge is the norm no matter what engine is in it.
The cigarette lighter was added.
The foot throttle was added.
The engine dog house made from teak isn't original. Teak was not used. this was made to cover the larger V8.
CC didn't use decals in the 50's. Any hull tagging would have been painted.
The factory ski pull would have been a pylon with a ring and finger in the middle of the boat.
The "V" on the transom sounds like some chrome decoration left over from a Century brand boat.
The hull ID plate if it is still on the boat will be on the port side vertical rib near the forward seat.
Someone has done a real hack job on this boat!
The reason you can't find info on the way your's is equiped, is because it didn't come that way.
Hopefully there isn't any fiberglass on the wood hull. If there is, plan on a total down to nothing everything disassemble restore. How are your woodworking skills?
Don't forget pictures!
The most compleat information on the boat will be on this site in the ref. section with the old catalogs. Bob Speltz's books have the same pictures. CC had a plant fire and all records are gone from the early years.
Is the boat a single or double plank bottom?

trash this hull, save this engine

I'm curious about the V8. Was the marine conversion done by a marine engine company? It would have some name on it. If done by a previous owner, it would have been built up from components. Is the prop LH or RH? (a RH will turn clockwise going forward looking from the stern) I don't know of a company building up that engine for marine. CC started using V8's around 1960 and those engines were Interceptors using Ford blocks.

Is it something like this on the transom?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Antney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 10:57am
Hello, thanks for all the info, I'll post photos if someone will tell me how to add them here.
The engine runs clockwise from the stern. I used the wrong terminology on the engine cradle, it's not a cradle but mounting plates on the front and back that are lag bolted to the runners. This boat was stored for over 40 years according to the previous owner, he purchased it from the original owner, the previous owner said he bought the boat just the way it is? Someone would have had to do major work to this boat way back when to add all this stuff (I wonder why?) The boat also had the original Correct Craft Atom decals on the side of the boat that appeared after removing a thin layer of paint. Interesting boat?
Antney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 11:14am
Correction the engine runs counterclockwise from the stern...T
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 11:23am
Antney, Since the engine is a standard rotation LH (automobile) then I will say that way back the owner converted the truck block to a marine using purchased components.
The Atom Skier on the sides are painted on and aren't decals. Get a tracing of it now. Have you looked to see if it is the single or double bottom yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 12:06pm
Can't wait to see pics of this.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 12:19pm
put your pictures up on photobucket or flickr and then post the link here...if you have trouble figuring it out, you can email them to me and I'll put them up: kruzie @ gmail . com
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 12:23pm
Ant...Wow, even if it isn't original!

Brainard...does it hurt to carry all that info around?!!?   LOL

we are fortunate to have you!
Greg
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 12:49pm
gotta see the pics...search photobucket
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Antney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 10:37pm
Hello, I sent some pics as the boat came out of storage to Dank, I'll get some more this evening of the boat with the upper and lower deck removed and the engine. Also, I need a good source to purchase the Mahogany plywood for the deck if anyone has a source, Thanks, Tony
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 12:55am
Ant, welcome to the site. We're excited about your new boat. Wow!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 2:09am
very interesting, keep us posted!
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 2:29am
So Antney sent me 40 pictures of his Atom Skier

You can see the rest Here
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 7:54am
Antney, You have got yourself a big project boat!! This boat came up not too long ago and I commented on it but even doing a search I can't find the thread. My major concern is the bottom has been fiberglassed. People doing this to a boat are covering up a problem with a temporary fix. At best it may last a couple seasons but the worst is you have given the boat a death sentence because the hull will now rot (quickly) under the glass. The glass is too thin to add any structural strength to the hull and if there is any hull movement (always is on a bad bottom) it will crack and come off. Polyester resin doesn't bond to wood very well. I have a close wood boat friend who's son got a Atom and dropped a 289 in it. The bottom was bad so he glassed it. This by the way was not recommended by my friend.(the father). Well the boat lasted less than 2 weeks on the water because the fiberglass cracked and water got under it while the boat was underway and a big portion of the glass came off a long with some of the bottom. After the boat almost flipped, it went to the bottom. There wasn't enough bouyancy from wood to support the 289.

The bottom must come off your boat. Now I know why you haven't answered my question on weather the boat had a single or double plank bottom!

You are a long ways from getting plywood for the deck. If you want to restore this boat the correct way I will be more that happy to help. If you want to just do a quick cosmetic on it I am not.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 8:00am
Antney, I found my comments on your boat from when it was up for sale on ebay. This was posted the 17th of May 2007:

63, I was able to find the "Atom" on ebay without using your link but if anyone is looking, it's under the boat "parts" and not the "for sale".

I took a look and the first thing I would like to caution anyone who may be thinking about the boat that it is a "big project" boat. It will require being taken down to the frame or beyond. The biggest problem is the bottom has been fiberglassed so expect lots of rot. I don't think it is a "Atom" but rather a "Hot Rod Special" by the color or it may have been painted and the windshield added. It has been "customized" with the addition of a cutwater and side trim. The engine is obviously not original and certainly not appropriate. I did notice that the owner must have been a plumber with all the pipe fittings converting the dual exhaust to a single. I also feel that it is older (1 year?) than listed because it doesn't have the tail fins. The boat is restorable for someone who is willing to put in lots of man hours.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Antney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 10:17am
Thanks for the info, I'll have to do some thinking about what I'm going to do with this boat. Is it worth restoring? Structurally it appears to be a solid foundation. I don't want to get into a $10K project. Perhaps a little more info is needed on the costs associated with doing this. I don't mind doing the work, I have the time, it's justifying the expense. I get a kick out of saving things like this for future generations, thats why I restore cars (Retrobuilt.com) shameless plug? Thanks again for your help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 10:42am
Antney, The costs of a wood boat restore are relatively low. It's the man hours that add up. It sometimes does come down to "a labor of love" as you will never recoup the man hours if you sold the boat. I would say you will have less than $1000 (a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 Meranti-mahogany plywood is $38) in material engine not included. I would look at that Gray 490 that is in the homemade boat on ebay. I gave you a link for it. That little twin carb was the hot engine in it's day plus a easy rebuild. It would be perfect for the Atom and was a factory option with the double plank bottom. My atom with the 60HP will do 37 to 38 MPH because the hull is so light. That's also 60HP at 3200RPM (red line) so you can do that all day long too! Your GMC may be a problem! By the way, I don't see in the pictures what trans is on the GMC. Does it have one? Think it through and keep in touch. I do have sources for plywood. I was never able to even guess what the letter on the bow of your boat was from. A rental fleet?? Do you know?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Antney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 4:26pm
Hello, it has a clutch setup and a bellhousing, they are in the pics that got posted. it appears to be a forward and neutral position lever no reverse? I'm trying to get prior registration information to see if the P has any significance, plus I can't find a hull plate or number yet. Then hull appears to be thicker than 1/4? The cost does seem to bad at all. Is this boat unique enough to mess with or should it be scrapped for parts, I haven't seen many of these around? Thanks, T
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 9:04pm
Antney, The "clutch" I did pick up in the pictures but not a trans like I said. It looks like the stock truck clutch was used with a adapter shaft and bearing?

The "P" has got me bugged!! Some kind of racing designation I have never heard of??

The 1/4" ply I mentioned is for the deck. It has a double thickness just above the dash and the rest is just the 1/4. The hull of the boat will be 3/8" fir ply and if it is the double plank will have 3/8" planks running the length of the boat on top of the ply on the boat bottom. The transom due to the curve will be a double layer of 1/4"

If you have the time, I would go for a restore. I was just commenting in another thread that early plywood CC's were considered throw away boats so there are not many out there!

It is in this thread:early 60's correct crafts

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 12:14am
Go for it Ant!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Antney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 1:38am
Yes, your correct about the clutch setup. The deck was partially painted around the top edge, is this the correct paint scheme for this boat, it was painted black on top but when I took off the bow light and horns it was red underneath so I'll assume it was red to begin with, the interior had a red floor and white seats? Is it OK to leave all the accessories and instrument cluster on this boat, I kinda like the cluster, I could do without the lighter though. What concerns do you have about reusing the 265 V8? Thanks, T
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 8:36am
Antney, The correct paint scheme is still up in the air since we really haven't determined if it is a cutomized Hot Rod Special or a Atom but is most likely a Atom because of it's hull tagging. If you do any paint stripping, be careful to note the bottom layer of paint or varnish as this may turn out to be the only thing to go on. I would however safely say that the bottom was red and most likely the floor too.

I do have big issues with the engine! Besides it not being original, a ACBS point deduction, reducing the value of the boat, too much power and weight for the hull, having to use a non original dog house, it is not a marine engine. I would be very worried about it's overall reliability as well as it safety. Antney, it doesn't even have a marine trans with reverse! Back in the 50's there were little garage shops making these so called marine conversions for auto and truck engines and that is what you have including the original dry truck clutch with the shaft adapter. All the thrust of the prop pushing that boat is going through that aluminum adapter plate with what looks like 1 bearing on it. I wonder if there is even a trust bearing in it?
Now we go on to the safety factor of that engine! If you have any gas fumes I would be very concerned because I don't think the distributor, generator or starter are marine. Unless you come up with some documentation that this boat was some kind of a very specialized say racing boat in it's day then the engine in my opinion needs to go. If you did find out that the boat had a special purpose then it would be a museum piece for display!

The instrument cluster is original but the gauge on the left and key switch are add ons. Oh, also what looks like a home electrical wall switch!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 8:54am
I posted this picture in another thread concerning ring and fingers but remembered it showed the hull ID plate as well. Look for yours and see if you can read it. The ID will start with a letter that may give us some important info.
Edit: Look in the side pocket holes and see if the plate is screwed to one of the vertical frames.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic