Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Put the boat and trailer on a trailer?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Put the boat and trailer on a trailer?
    Posted: August-02-2007 at 2:31am
Hey Guys,

Time for our latest session of "Dumb A** Questions" brought to you by 69 Mustang!

I just don't have the comfort level I would like to with my SkiTique's 78 trailer. Coupled with the almost 600 mile run to the NE Reunion I am thinking about putting the boat and trailer on an auto-transport trailer. I know TRBenj did it to get his Tique home, and he alluded to challenges with tongue weight, etc. in his diary

What am I up against here? At the moment, my only option is a Uhaul trailer. Back it on? Most cars have the engine in the front, so that makes sense, or not. Support for the boat trailer tongue? Cribbing with 6x6's? And the big one, what am I not thinking about that makes this a bad idea?

Anyone have a 16 ft deck trailer in the DC area they want to rent me?

As always, thanks in advance.

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 3:57am
Why don't you put it on a flat bed tilt tray truck.?

You don't have the problem of having to tow it then, & you don't have to worry about exceeding your tow vehicle tow capacity.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 7:47am
Mike, You are still talking about pulling a trailer but now with the trailer on a trailer you have more weight. What is the problem with the Tique trailer? How about new tires and wheel bearings. Pulling a trailer can be a challenge but it is something you need to get adjusted to.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 1:14pm
Mike, the only reason I put the Tique on the transport trailer was because I was buying it sight-unseen from 500 miles away and wasnt going to take a chance on making it home. If you have the time to do some basic trailer maintenance, that would be much easier and more cost effective. I would repack the bearings, and inspect everything else (replace parts as necessary): tires, wiring, springs, axle, coupler. These trailers are not hard to work on, and once you get it straight it should be good for quite some time.

If you still decide to do the auto transport trailer, I can give you some tips. Like you, I didnt know anyone with a large trailer, so I went the Uhaul route. That trailer is a little short, so the weight was towards the rear- which caused a fair amount of sway and limited the speed we could tow. We added some sand bags at the front of the trailer, which helped considerably. We thought about putting it on backwards, but loading it onto the trailer (with a comealong) was much easier forwards. It also gave a place for the tongue to rest. We used multiple tie-down ratchet straps to secure the trailers together, as well as some strategically placed chains. Dont forget to secure the boat to its own trailer.

keegan99usa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegan99usa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 2:36pm
WOw!!

I am a Uhaul dealer amoung other things, and I don't know how you got past all the filters letting you rent the Auto Transport. For the money, i would guess you could put a lot into the existing trailer and then you would haev that forever.
Dan
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 2:39pm
Mike if you do decide to do this and put the boat on backwards as you stated in your initial posting, I would be concerned about the wind hitting the windshield from a backwards position like that. It would a be a considerable amount of force on the backside of the windshield and I would be concerned about it breaking or getting ripped off completely. Not sure that I would try that unless you remove the windshield completely. Just my .02.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by keegan99usa keegan99usa wrote:

I am a Uhaul dealer amoung other things, and I don't know how you got past all the filters letting you rent the Auto Transport.

filters???

No offense, but Uhaul continues to disappoint me everytime I have to deal with them.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I am a Uhaul dealer amoung other things, and I don't know how you got past all the filters letting you rent the Auto Transport.

filters???

No offense, but Uhaul continues to disappoint me everytime I have to deal with them.

Agreed. Worst service and most shoddy dealer network ever. It's amazing they are in business at all.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 3:24pm
Sorry- I should have added a "no offense" before that one.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

keegan99usa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegan99usa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 3:50pm
That's ok. I agree with you all on that. My hands are truly tied when it comes to how that all operates. The thing they have going for them is they have a crapload of equipment and a lot of dealers. Granted the dealers change hands a lot because of just what you feel.
Dan
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 4:38pm

WOw!!

UHaul didnt have a 1978 Ski Tique in their database of recommended towing setups, so I used what I believe to be the closest subsitute: 1990 Mazda Miata.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 6:24pm
LOL Tim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 1:05am
Pete, good point. I have towed heavier loads with the rig (98 Silverado ext cab) but not the distance.

TRBenj, thanks for the pic and tips - I was looking at your diary pics and it looked like it was on a different trailer.

keegan, no offense (lol), but I have towed all kinds of crazy stuff on an auto transport, like TRBenj, I just put in a vehicle that weighs in close to what I want to move.

backfoot, I would have never thought of the windshield issue, pure genius.

Thanks for all the input. It is more that I don't trust me as opposed to the trailer. I have put on new hubs, grease seals, bearings, buddies and lug nuts.

I worry if I have too much grease, not enough grease; if I drive the buddy in all the way the hub binds, back it out - is it going to fall out?; did I clean the spindle enough and on and on...

10 years ago I would have just hooked any trailer up and made the run, without a second thought about any of it. I guess if I pack a trailer jack, 2 hub kits, 2 mounted spares and 2 spindles what could go wrong, right?

Thanks again,
Mike

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 2:12am
Mike,
If you had just bought the boat/trailer, Id consider putting them on another trailer.
As for you saying you worry about grease , spindles, etc, you can second guess yourself forever..If you dont trust your work, have it checked out / or done by someone else. Lots of guys pull older trailers lots of miles.

For me, pulling the extra weight AND the fact you raised the center of gravity, I dont think its worth it.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 2:42am
Thanks 62,

I think you are right on the money. I just finished putting everything together and it all looks and sounds good. I will road test tomorrow. I really don't know why I wigged out on this, I've done stuff like this before. I must be getting more cautious w/age.

Mike

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by 69 Mustang 69 Mustang wrote:

TRBenj, thanks for the pic and tips - I was looking at your diary pics and it looked like it was on a different trailer.

I got a lot of help from JMurph in taking delivery of the Tique- he brought it from VA to Baltmore for me and saved me a day of driving. His trailer is shown in my diary. That is a heavy duty beast, and with its extra length (and better weight distribution) Im sure it towed much better than the UHaul!

If youre up to date on the maintenance of the trailer (and it sounds like you are), I say go for it. Dont forget to inspect the springs and coupler- I had a spring break on my trailer on the way to Green Lake. Looking forward to seeing that boat in NE!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 1:17pm
Tim, did you replace the mate , or is it still in the need to do file.
I was impressed with your can do attitude ,all turned out well.Just goes to show how important proper tounge height is to longivity of trailer parts and components...........boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic