NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mallory distributor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JayR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mallory distributor
    Posted: August-05-2007 at 1:57am
I have a Mallory distributor model# YL,Type 445B, Dearborn Part # 6062. Its in kind of rough shape does anyone have somethin I can use for sale, also it only has a single point setup in it but on the tag it says set points to 20 degrees. If Im not mistaken points is plural which means more than 1. Can anyone tell me if this is supposed to be a duel point distributor.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2007 at 10:21am
Jason, It is wishful thinking by yourself that back in the 50's and 60's they had a high tech dual point marine distributor and someone modified yours. Trust me, they didn't! You are also reading to much into the plural of the word points. Remember that everyone goes into the auto parts store for a set of points and condenser. I don't know why it is plural but do know that if you asked the guy behind the counter at Napa for a point and condenser, he would probably look at you funny!

The 20 on the tag is .020 point gap and not degrees. Most older marine engines were tuned by setting the dwell with the point gap and then it would take 2 guys to set the timing. One driving the boat WOT and the other twisting the distributor till they got the max RPM. He would then retard it slightly and lock it down. I'm not saying this is the way you should be setting your timing as I do believe in using a timing light!!

You may need to rebuild you distributor. New bushings, springs on the advance, some cleaning and of coarse the nomal replacement parts and it will be fine.

What Interceptor engine is it on?

Edit: Is it in the 260 you have previously mentioned?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2007 at 4:11pm
You handled that very well Pete.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 12:03am
Don't bother with points, go electronic, it's easy to install.
Tim D
JayR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 12:17am
I bought that conversion kit went to put it in and for whatever reason the the whole on the new rotor was too big for the shaft in the distributor. Im thinkin that this thing has been tampered with over the years thats why Im either lookin for a used one from you or maybe even go new
JayR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 12:18am
oh and yes it is a 260
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 8:13am
Tim, The conversion kit you pictured, is that for the Mallory distributor model# YL,Type 445B, Dearborn Part # 6062? I didn't think there was one available and the one that JayR got doesn't fit!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic