Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

School me --94 w/ 5.8 Pro Boss EFI

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School me --94 w/ 5.8 Pro Boss EFI
    Posted: August-13-2007 at 12:46am
Hey guys

I am looking at a used 94 sport nautique with the PCM 5.8 Pro Boss EFI engine. I currently have an 89 supra with a PCM 351, so I know a little about the base engine, but I don't have any experience with the EFI or the ignition system on these later engines.

I have spent some time reading CCFan threads--here is it what I think I found out.

First--This engine has a "pro-tec" ignition, which have a tendency to fail as they get older. The bad news is that parts are no longer available, the good news is that SKIDIM sells a replacement ignition system with an electronic distributor for about 500 bucks.

Sound about right? Anything else I should know about this pro tec ignition?

Second-- This engine has a TBI fuel injection. In reading about this, I didn't find much, other than several posters who noted that PCM had problems with this system and quickly replaced it with a MPI system.

Can you still get parts for this system? I didn't find anything on SKIDIM. Is it reliable? Is this system is a plus or a minus when compared to the a good old carb?

Third-- does this engine have GT40 heads? How much horsepower would it have?

Fourth-- what is the big black thing downstream from the risers. See picture below.

As I said, I am thinking about buying this boat, but right now I wish it had a plain old carb and ignition system. I want it to be reliable. Am I right in thinking that, or is this engine still a good engine?

Thanks

Jared

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by sjpitts sjpitts wrote:

First--This engine has a "pro-tec" ignition, which have a tendency to fail as they get older. The bad news is that parts are no longer available, the good news is that SKIDIM sells a replacement ignition system with an electronic distributor for about 500 bucks.

Sound about right? Anything else I should know about this pro tec ignition?

Second-- This engine has a TBI fuel injection. In reading about this, I didn't find much, other than several posters who noted that PCM had problems with this system and quickly replaced it with a MPI system.

Can you still get parts for this system? I didn't find anything on SKIDIM. Is it reliable? Is this system is a plus or a minus when compared to the a good old carb?

Youre correct that the TBI system can be troublesome to tune. When running right, though it runs very strong. One downfall of the system is that it is reliant on the Pro-Tec ignition to function, so it cant be swapped out for the conversion kit. Last I heard, PCM has a few spare parts for the Pro-Tec, and they are hoarding them exclusively for the TBI motors.

Third-- does this engine have GT40 heads? How much horsepower would it have?

Since it is the Proboss, then yes. Horsepower should be in the neighborhood of 300. (TBI motors were also available without the HO GT40 heads and were called "ProSki".)

Fourth-- what is the big black thing downstream from the risers. See picture below.

Thats the muffler. Notice 2 inlets and 1 outlet. There are baffles inside.

As I said, I am thinking about buying this boat, but right now I wish it had a plain old carb and ignition system. I want it to be reliable. Am I right in thinking that, or is this engine still a good engine?

If running right, the motor is very good. If the Pro-Tec or TBI system becomes unreliable, it would be easy to retrofit a conventional carb and distributor onto the motor.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 2:12pm
I have the same motor...in my 95snob. I have put about 100 hours on it. I replaced the idle control valve (IAC?). Mine runs good and strong, starts easy, no smoke, etc. I hate the way the idle starts fast then settles down. Otherwise, I like it.

As for the muffler...it is very close to the tranny shift linkage, I had to readjust mine a bit to keep the shifter from scraping/binding.

ernest
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 5:47am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Youre correct that the TBI system can be troublesome to tune. When running right, though it runs very strong. One downfall of the system is that it is reliant on the Pro-Tec ignition to function, so it cant be swapped out for the conversion kit. Last I heard, PCM has a few spare parts for the Pro-Tec, and they are hoarding them exclusively for the TBI motors.

OK, this I did not know. Just to clarify--you are saying that if the Pro-Tec fails I can't replace it with the SKIDIM conversion kit without also replacing the TBI. Right?   

That sounds like it could be one expensive failure. I imagine that PCM wants a bundle for those parts-- assuming you can still get them at all.

I was sort of thinking that if I bought the boat I would just replace the Pro-Tec up front- consider it part of the purchase price. But this adds significant expense.

If the Pro-Tec fails, and you replace with the SKIDIM conversion, is there anything you can do to make the TBI run, or do you really need to start all over -- with a new carb and intake?

Jared

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 11:55am
Jared:

I have the ProSki version of that engine and it runs perfectly. ALL the TBI parts are still available from either Holley, GM or Mopar. Parts from all three manufacturers are used on the TBI. However, it is basically a Holley unit.

Last I checked with PCM about two years ago, the ProTec parts are still available exclusively for TBI engines for reasons stated above.

My research tells me that the ProSki engines do NOT have the GT40 heads and the ProBoss engine DOES (contrary to what was stated above). You can check by looking for three (or is it four) vertical bars on one end of the cylinder head. The GT40 heads will have the bars.

The TBI engines start, idle and run very well. However, they burn gas at a good clip, idle a bit rich, but otherwise are excellent. Take a look at the injectors, you will find 4 large injectors that feed a 950 cfm throttle body!

Oh yes, one last comment: I believe there are a good number of the TBI engines still in use. This site lends itself to hearing the problems with these engines...that is what the site is for. However, the vast majority of boat Owners just use their boats and do not visit sites such as this one. So, my theory is that the ProTec and TBI system is not as problematic as rumored to be.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 12:08pm

OK, this I did not know. Just to clarify--you are saying that if the Pro-Tec fails I can't replace it with the SKIDIM conversion kit without also replacing the TBI. Right?

Correct. I'd listen to DavidF's advice- hes the local expert on the TBI/Protec system.

I was sort of thinking that if I bought the boat I would just replace the Pro-Tec up front- consider it part of the purchase price. But this adds significant expense.

Like DavidF said, you should be able to keep the TBI system running. However, if you decide to convert back to carb, I believe all you would need is a standard distributor (like the one supplied in the PCM retrofit), a carburetor, and possibly a fuel pump. The intake manifold should carry over.

Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

My research tells me that the ProSki engines do NOT have the GT40 heads and the ProBoss engine DOES (contrary to what was stated above). You can check by looking for three (or is it four) vertical bars on one end of the cylinder head. The GT40 heads will have the bars.

Isnt that what I said? The GT40 heads will have 3 bars (the GT40p's have 4).
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 5:08pm
Thanks guys, this is great info. It sounds like I shouldn't be too afraid of the pro-tec/TBI combo.

First, they are probably more reliable than people think.   

Second, if there are any future pro-tec problems I should be able to get the parts from PCM.

And in an absolute worst case scenario I could do the ski-dim distributor conversion along with a new carb and be ready to go again.

Thanks again.

I hope to do a lake test on this boat later this week. Maybe next. Is there anything in particular with regard to the pro-tec and TBI that I should look at?

Jared
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2007 at 11:57am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Isnt that what I said? The GT40 heads will have 3 bars (the GT40p's have 4).

Well, you most certainly did state it correctly and I read it wrong. Sorry about that.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2007 at 12:28pm

I hope to do a lake test on this boat later this week. Maybe next. Is there anything in particular with regard to the pro-tec and TBI that I should look at?

Not really. Just how it runs. If the thing runs well and ski's well, go for it! As long as everything runs fine, you really can't determine that the system will magically fail while you're doing a test drive. It could fail next week or it could still be running fine 10 years from now. If you constantly are going to worry about it failing, you'll never get the chance to enjoy the boat. You'll be more worried when it's going to fail instead of having fun. Every little noise or stumble that you experience will immediately be transformed into the Pro-Tec is failing. Lighten up. It's good to know that the potential exists for this failure and what your options are when and if it does fail, but other than that, your purchase should be determined by how the boat runs now and if it fills your needs. Don't be afraid to run it fairly hard during your test drive. If it doesn't perform to your liking, then you better walk away.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
CJ_94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ_94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 6:53pm
I bought a '94 with the same engine, and it has run like a champ for the last 3 seasons.

Before I bought it, I was told to check for a red throttle arm where the throttle cable is hooked up - this would indicate that the TBI unit was updated. The update was required due to some service bulletins for that year boat/engine.
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 2:52pm
I have a 94 sport with the same motor but I've been having some small issues with it and I'm wondering what my options are.

My idle seems to be high its usually around 750 so when I'm at idle in gear I'm moving pretty quick. Also I seem to have some hesitation when accelerating. Other than that the motor runs great, its very powerful and if we could clear up these issues I'd be even happier.

I'm thinking that the timing is off, is this something that I can adjust or no? We've done the timing on other boats without electronic ignition but were not sure what we can and can't do with this motor.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 4:02pm
First thing I would do is run some BG44K through the fuel system.

If that does not help, focus on the IAC valve and TPS.

The idle speed is computer controlled via the IAC. Normal idle speed is 700rpms. If the idle will not come down, then I think it would be a sticking/dirty IAC (Mopar OEM part #53030657) that the computer cannot force closed any further. The IAC is basically a pintle that progressively plugs/unplugs a vacuum bypass.

You can remove the valve and place your finger over the port. If the idle comes way down and/or the engine quits, then you know you do not have other vacuum leaks that would affect the idle. However, the computer monitors RPM and will continue to close the IAC to compensate for a vacuum leak. However, if the leak is large enough and the valve is fully closed, your idle might remain higher than normal as the computer can no longer compensate by closing the valve further.

A vacuum leak could also explain the hesitation on acceleration due to unmetered air affecting the air/fuel ratio. Or, the TPS could be out of range causing the computer to generate a less than optimal fuel delivery (injector pulse) map. The TPS should read 0.5 volts at idle (I think the orange wire is the signal wire. The other two wires would be voltage (5v) and ground).
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 2:15am
David: What is BG44K? Will it help an old boat like mine?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 11:39am
44K is a professional grade fuel system cleaner made by BG Products. You cannot find the product at most chain auto parts stores. Most service shops and specialty parts stores carry it.

Generally, it works best in cleaning fuel injectors, but also cleans carbon deposits on valves.

It might help you old carbureted engine, but probable not much.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 11:41pm
Thanks David.....just looking for anything easy to do to my motor. Gotta stay away from the hard stuff...unless I go over to MM's and see his brother, Keith.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic