Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Stall

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Stall
    Posted: August-13-2007 at 1:54pm
Hey guys,

I am in need of some help, my 85 ski nautique would stall at idle. Worked great in the morning till we went in t to drop someone off. Then we went out again and did a slow stroll near one of the marina's then the engine stalled. We could start the engine by pulling the neutral pin out and putting the lever in the reverse position and rev it acouple of time then try to bring it back to neutral position and it would stall out. Got it into gear by basically dropping it into the neutral and putting the pin in gear and bring the RPM up above to run. Got it back to the boat launch 5 mph zone and once we were close enough we brought it to idle and it stalled out had to swim it to the launch and take it out of the water. I need info on what you guys think is going on. It was alittle rough running first thing in the morning filled her up at the gas station before launch. I need to know what I am doing wrong.

1985 ski nautique 2001 ford 351 velvet 1:1. All oils were fine, pressure was fine and temp was fine.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 3:29pm
So even though it ran a bit rough, it would idle OK in the morning? What rpm's is the idle set at?

I wondered if your idle speed could have changed, just set too low to idle, but not likely unless you fiddled with it during the day. Since it seems like this all happened after a fill I'm wondering about bad gas too. Or moisture in the distributor.

I'd add a bottle of isopropyl gas drier, and check your idle speed. If you can, take the distributor cap off and leave it off in the sun for a few hours to dry out any moisture that could have gotten inside.

Does it run perfectly at all other speeds, and just stall and run rough at idle?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 3:54pm
rebuild the carb

And don't d*ck with the distributor you don't have miss you have an idle issue so the distributor isn't going to cause any of that.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 3:58pm
Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak... did the hose fall off the spacer on the intake manifold?
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 4:02pm
I havent tampered with it at all which is weird that the idle settings would have moved. I picked up the boat from the dealer last saturday and took it out on the 5th and it ran fine from what I could tell. But would the dealer have made sure everything would have been set? Should I change to electronic ignition, my father is new to this and doesnt want to put too much money into the boat, but i told him electronic ignition is one of the major upgrades. I made a fake a lake from a toilet plunger hopefully that works so i can run the boat out of the water to test idle speeds and such.
From what it looks like everything is original on the engine except the starter solenoid which was replaced when we were on vacation in the middle of July renting it from the dealer. It ran great during that week.

Also any particular gas octane I should work with that will make this not happen?

Thanks again for more info.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 4:06pm
stuck float??
tjlake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjlake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 2:01am
lfs,
Had a similar problem 2 years ago when I first got my boat. Start at the fuel filter. I had some sediment in mine and the first run just stirred it up, replaced it and has run fine since. I change the fuel filter annually as part of regular maint. BTW, elc. ignition is one of the best things I've ever done, would highly recommend!..Joe
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 4:37am
I think I found the problem. Trying to look at the fuel filter which i still can figure how to get it off. I unbolted it from the holder to look at the bottom. I noticed gas coming from the input line from the gas tank, where it has a hose clamp. I think its sucking in air into the pump then to the carb.

I do think i want to check to make sure i do not have water in the fuel filter, but can figure out how it comes off. I tried using a oil filter strap remover and tried turning it to the stern, as i think this is how it losens. I am going to start there.

But I have a 30 day warranty from the dealer and rather try to have the hole line from the tank replaced and from the filter to the pump replaced incase there might be a leak from it.

I appreciate you guys helping me out to pin point it the best i can.

Let me know if I am in the right direction.
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 11:22pm
Just to let you guys know, it was the slice in the fuel line that made the engine stall. I made a rig to the transmission cooler to hook up to the water from the house. Started her up and she idled perfect 500 RPM didnt want to play with the idle setting so i left it. Tested by turning it off and back on and she started perfect aswell.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic