NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Power Loss

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Loss
    Posted: August-17-2007 at 1:28pm
I am the second owner of the boat and having never had another 79 I was unaware that the engine speed to water speed ratio was improper. While I have owned this boat for 5 years now both speedos do read the same but perhaps I should investigate the prop. Back to the engine problem- there are a lot of hours on the boat most likely over 1000 as the hourmeter works occasionally and reads over 700. AS suddenly as the problem came on and its proximity to the soft plug leak I still have to think it has to do with ignition in some way. That being siad
I do like the idea of preforming a compression test. Thanks fo rthe advice guys
1979 Ski Nautique
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2007 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by IrishFooter IrishFooter wrote:

2800 at 34mph or so where it normally will tach to 3500 at 45mph.

In addition to the problem youre having, it sounds like you either have a bad tach or are running the wrong prop. MPH and RPM should be pretty close to 1:1 with a 13x13 (stock sized) prop (i.e. 30mph = 3000RPM).

I will second this one. Sounds like you are over-propped. Do both speedometers read about the same?

After you make sure your cap and all ignition parts are dry, if you still have the same issue, perform a compression test. How many hours are on your motor?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 6:46pm
I had the same problem but mine was caused by the circulating pump going and spraying water everywhere.

Replaced the pump and it wouldn't start, had to replace the cap, rotor and points. Runs great now.

Yeah I know, go electronic.....
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by IrishFooter IrishFooter wrote:

2800 at 34mph or so where it normally will tach to 3500 at 45mph.

In addition to the problem youre having, it sounds like you either have a bad tach or are running the wrong prop. MPH and RPM should be pretty close to 1:1 with a 13x13 (stock sized) prop (i.e. 30mph = 3000RPM).
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 12:46pm
Check the timing. Should be 8-10 degrees BTDC and be somewhere around 32-35 degrees at about 2500 RPM. Verify that the advance is nice and smooth throughout the entire RPM range without any hangups.

Also check to make sure that you have the right firing order of the plug wires since you say that they have been replaced. If the water started to spray over the engine, verify that you don't have a cracked Dist. cap too. Sounds like everything was replaced except the cap.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2007 at 12:15pm
Have been fighting with my 79 Nautique for a few weeks now. Problem began when soft plug on the front of the head developed a hole and was leaking water onto the alternator and was consequently sprayed over the engine causing poor running. The plug was replaced and the engine smoothed out but had a noticeable power loss. The power loss is noticeable when starting out as it is dificult to get out of the water skiing and also noticeable into a turn. The engine sounds and runs well but has this power loss. No miss or backfire and idle is smooth. Under a load the engine will only tach to 2800 at 34mph or so where it normally will tach to 3500 at 45mph. I chased down ignition issues thinking the spray had gotten somehting wet to no avail. I have a mallory unilite, new wires, plugs, coil and still the same problem. I am checking my fuek pressure this afternoon and would appreciate any insite.
Thanks,
John
1979 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic