NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plywood Repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plywood Repair
    Posted: August-20-2007 at 4:24pm
'cheapo'?!!? How come that doesn't sound like you?    even the countertop will need straight support

Although, I did build this from cheapo like I said(stud grade material)... it's put together in a way that it has to be true...

The plugs are from scrap Honduran mahogany...

This all takes more time thinking(mental hammering) than it does to build...I spent more time soaking it down with oil than I did to make it.

It's loaded down now with everything from a good 351 crank to my grandfather's flight logs...1500-2000lbs at least I'd guess...and only 1/8" ply on top
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 3:41pm
Tim, I think you may be over slightly on the # of sheets of ply but you are on the safe side. I don't think the hull sides are over 24" so they only need 2 sheets. The transom as well as the dog house can be made from the middle of the deck ply. The deck is 1/4" and the transom is double 1/4". I routed all my fake seams in the deck after it was screwed to the boat. Yes, lots of routing templates!! Don't worry about the scarf landing on a curved surface. It is a very strong joint! As far as looking for a flat surface, I might investigate some cheapo kitchen counter top at the big box home centers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 12:48pm
Where did you have your second cup...you're hooked! I bet it doesn't sit(or hang) another 17.   

I think the deck routing would go back to Pete's absolutly flat bench. A very true torsion box can be made from stud grade material with a few tools...then you just have that mental hammering to do on the jig?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

61Compact View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 61Compact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 12:19pm
If its any solice, I was awake at three this a.m. standing in the garage with a cup of coffee staring at her and considering my options.

BTW, I inquired on the scarfing at Boulter, and only asked about 16' because the boat is less than 16'. 15 something. Each side of the boat currently has three scarf joints. Likely to keep the scarf from landing on a complex curve and the added stress, but one scarf at 8' would be pretty much right before the would needs to bend and curve. I think I would need about 13 sheets of plywood to reskin bottom (4), sides(4), and decking(4), and transom (1). The topside has a planked look routed into the deck and motor box. Making a template for that would be interesting. My problem is I get caught up in trying to hammer out each detail prior to starting, and guess what...the boat has sat for 17 years.
61 Compact Skier - Smokey IV
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 12:17pm
I've seen guys who are good with a skil saw, but I don't see how it could pretend to be precise enough for .020    I spend 90% of my time building an idiot proof jig so that the finished product is right.

My problem with the router and radial arm is they are both rotary...and that is cross grain cutting. Remembering that this is only in my head at this point, the hand plane leaves a clean long grain glueing surface.

Tim, don't mean to jack your thread. Hopefully mine and Pete's bantering will prove helpful.   

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 11:56am
I think you are on the right track with the jigs and fixturing. The most important thing is to start with a large flat suface that you can clamp the ply to. I too have been thinking about a router fastened to a carriage built from linear ball bearings set at the proper angle to get the bevel. The same flat clamping surface will also act as a clamping table.

The Grougion brothers who market the West system of epoxy do sell a attachment fence that goes on a hand held circular (skil) saw but I don't feel it would be any where close to the accuracy needed in this application. I keep thinking about the .020" face veneer!!

Edit; If they can scarf 2 sheet together to make up the nominal 16', I can't see why they wouldn't be able to put 3 sheets together. Harbor Sales was only limited by shipping so they could go 48'.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 11:41am
Guilty as charged! I don't have the book yet, but I've done some reading already. I've also been thinking about scarf joints and how to hand make 'em half the night?!!?   LOL

Tim said that he thought he'd found a supplier of 16' ply with the scarf...how long is the boat? and won't he still have 1 end to deal with?

Lemme get the book so I can answer some of my own questions...

So far, I've been thinking of router jigs and an adjustable back stop for the radial arm with a large panel raising bit...but I think my best plan would be a hardwood jig and an old school long bed hand plane. I like the plane because it would be a better glueing surface than a sanded one IMHO. Am I on the right track?

Tim, this is your fault?!!?   LOL   Just kidding

...and I may have a woody someday(don't do it Hollywood ), but I gotta finish painting the house first!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 11:01am
Greg, With your background, you should have a wood boat! Why not? Need some help finding one? Somethings going on in that mind of yours if you bought the book!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 10:56am
Somebody shoot me...I don't even have a wooden boat, but I'll soon have a book about restoring them?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 7:55pm
Tim, Yes you are right that Okoume does not hold up. It rots easy so don't use it. It is only popular because it is being used for epoxy encapsulation boat building. It is a very open grain "tropical" wood so it soaks up the resin like a sponge. Maranti is a good choice and will stain and finish just like some of the true African or Honduran. (I think CC used Philippine) You will want to talk with Boulter about the process and make sure they know that one side will be decorative plus a bright finish. It worries me with the face veneer so thin. Unless they are able to get some ply with a very thick face and then touch sand after scarfing. If they can do it, let them!

Greg, The large equipment I was thinking about was made during the war when the PT boats and landing craft were being made out of plywood. Large molding machines to produce the tapered edges and large steam heated platen type presses to heat cure the phenolic glues at the scarfs. The last firm I used was Harbor sales out of Boston. They have pretty much gotten out of the plywood business and haven't done any scarfing in several years.

We all know that Higgins made mostly landing craft and a few PT boats but I heard that CC was making pontoon boats for pontoon bridges. Of coarse this is why CC made so many of their wood models from ply.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 6:22pm
Thanks again Pete...   What 'large equipment' are you talking(typing) about?

I make scarf joints on a stationary belt sander, but that's only for inlays...small and narrow...and solid wood

1988 BFN-sold

61Compact View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 61Compact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 6:17pm
Heard that Boulter plywood in Somerville, MA could scarf plywood (16') and ship. I would need to call and confirm. Can you still get the original Honduran mahogany? I've read that the Okoume looks right, but doesn't hold up?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 6:01pm
Tim, Greg is correct that it really doesn't look that bad. A good welder can weld or braze the crack in the block.

Mahogany marine ply really isn't that expensive. 3/8 will be about 40 per 4x8 sheet. The biggest problem replacing the hull ply is that the plywood is scarf joined together. I have looked and haven't had any luck finding anyone who has the large equipment to do it anymore. It can be done by hand with lots of gigs and fixtures but isn't easy. Plywoods these days have a very thin face veneer which gives you 0 room for error. The old plys had a face of around .100" so you could sand some but now now the faces are around .020". On a stained and varnish finish, the ply needs to be stained and several coats of varnish put on before the scarf joint is made. If not, epoxy from the joint will contaminate the area and a stain won't "take" to the wood.

My dock dings I am attempting to fill and stain to match which is a problem in itself. I have had success with using "graining" transfer paper to fake the grain in. Depending on lighting, this method can always be seen. You hull sides have larger sections that need repair so filling and fudging in the grain isn't one of your options.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 6:00pm
Most welcome!

I'm not in the circles that some of these guys are in, but I have been approached several times about 'fixing' a wooden boat. One was even a CC and I still know where it is...but it would have to be rebuilt in the purest sense of that word.

After thinking about it, I'd say you're 6 on 1 with the keeper on the wrong end!

LOL
1988 BFN-sold

61Compact View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 61Compact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 5:41pm
Thanks BuffaloBFN.

What you see in the last pic next to the engine is one of the two 2-ton come alongs that were used to hang this boat from the garage rafters during the winter. Only borrowed the trailer to put the boat in and pull it out of the water.

At what point do you replace so much the boat is no longer her former self? Strange huh. Boats given name was Smokey IV (First owner 4th generation), but always call it her.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 5:21pm
Wow... I'm jealous! Not to swipe any of Pete's thunder, but IMHO you are way ahead of the curve. 3 on 1 with the keeper napping!

The only problem I see is the leviathon thingy in the bottom of the last pic?!!?

...and you might need to chain it to something heavy now that we've all had a look?!!?
LOL
1988 BFN-sold

61Compact View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 61Compact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 4:53pm
Thanks for all the great posts. Couple of notes. Boat and owner are in North eastern PA. The wife is actually the one who pushed me to keep this boat from a humiliating death at the dump, so I owe her all the credit for even being able to have this discussion. Pulled Smokey out of the garage and uncovered her this weekend. Peter's e-mail gave me the bug again. Here are some pictures. You can see a couple of the patches. It was noted in a previous post that the fiberglass would likely come right off. Couldn't resist a test (2"x2" spot). Sure enough it came off with smooth plywood behind. You can also see the engine and where the block cracked. It was repaired ith MarineTex (?).

Issue now is space to do the work and money. I know this is a VERY subjective question, but any estimates on what it might cost to reply and restore this boat? Not that the $$ will change my mind on doing this, but it would put into perspective when and how I can get this started.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 10:39am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by 61Compact 61Compact wrote:

I am thinking I can bump up the power on the engine from the 144 85HP in her to say the 177 or the 200? Looking forward to your advice.

Tim
To address your engine question,is it flywheel-forward? My 64 has the 100hp /177 in it. It runs good right now, but If I ever have to "re-do" the engine ,I will put the 200 in. They are still around and usually cheap( I gave 25 bucks for mine this spring...a guy transplanting a v8 in a Maverick). If your going to the trouble of changing the engine, you might as well go to the biggest"direct" replacement you can, right?

Try and get some pics of the ride posted!

Tim, I'll back up Steve's idea. Unless the larger ci version of the same block uses say a obviously bigger carb, a ACBS judge may not even pick up on it. There are lots of 350 blocks running in Chris Crafts that were originally 289's!

This is of coarse is getting ahead of things as the first thing is to deal with the hull after you get the approval from your wife!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 4:30am
Originally posted by 61Compact 61Compact wrote:

I am thinking I can bump up the power on the engine from the 144 85HP in her to say the 177 or the 200? Looking forward to your advice.

Tim
To address your engine question,is it flywheel-forward? My 64 has the 100hp /177 in it. It runs good right now, but If I ever have to "re-do" the engine ,I will put the 200 in. They are still around and usually cheap( I gave 25 bucks for mine this spring...a guy transplanting a v8 in a Maverick). If your going to the trouble of changing the engine, you might as well go to the biggest"direct" replacement you can, right?

Try and get some pics of the ride posted!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 1:06am
Well I'm betting you live in CA and not too close to Pete, so for help, you need to read good and pay attention to Mr. Old school/orginal.

sorry Reid couldn't let HW rip Quinner again and mention anything about wood/plywood boats but who wanted on top.........HW??????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 8:31pm
Tim, I didn't have any problems with my wife. She's into the boats as well so I get lots of encouragement. I hope you will get the same if you decide to move forward. The Glen-L book isn't bad and if you can understand it I would start thinking about the project. I mentioned some minor changes made in CC wood hulls. They were usually eliminating some components as time proved to them that a hull was strong. As a example, they may have used only 2 battens instead of 4 in later years or eliminated some of the 1/2 frames in the bottom. There really isn't much you can change on a plywood hull if you are building a PT boat or a ski boat!
I choose to use epoxy on my Atom but used 5200 on the new bottom on my X55. Ether system is sound and will last a lifetime. The only caution will be extra steps must be used around any wood to be bright finished to avoid contamination. Read as much as you can and break the news to your wife!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
61Compact View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 61Compact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 8:02pm
Eric, Thanks for setting me straight.

Peter, From what I recall the frame in my CC does not look like what you have in the posted piscture, but I will defer to your expertise and dig into it this weekend a bit. Pics to follow. I have the Glen-L book on building plywood boats. Same process? You make the effort sound time consuming, but not difficult. A complete restore might be a fun project. Boy is my wife gonna love this idea...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 6:53pm
Tim, Your Compact is indeed the same construction as my Atom. CC with only some minor changes through the years always used the same methods. If you removed some floor sections you would see more. They were not made on a frame. The main ribs were screwed together on a jig for consistency. Some care is needed when removing the plywood in keeping rib spacing centerlines etc. Lots of measurements are needed and temporary 1x4 spacers can be screwed to the frame. Small things like only re gusseting one side of a rib at a time keeps the original shape. Your Compact would literally unscrew into pieces just like my Atom did. CC used a linseed oil based bedding compound between all there frames, ribs and ply skin. This has long since dried out so there is absolutely no adhesion between these components. The screws are holding it together. This problem may even be why your dad glassed the bottom! The fiberglass will just peel of the bottom. It doesn't stick very well and usually comes off when you don't want it too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 6:48pm
Here is a big mis-conception that needs an explanation, alot of guys know this but alot guys dont, the term freeze plug is not what those are they are actually cast plugs and have nothing to do with freezing. these holes are for draining sand when casted and were not put there in case the block freezes, in some instances in a lite freeze they will push out or even at times they will rust out, so next time some one tells you they are freeze plugs you can correct them.
"the things you own will start to own you"
61Compact View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 61Compact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 5:47pm
Where to start. Twin 4 year olds is my only time constraint. That said, I would love to restore the boat to original condition, but I'm not sure I have the skills to pull it off. I will try to post some pics this weekend. The rot that I can see is on stern around the corners, and the bow well above the waterline. All around screws. Looking at the picture you post, I would have to say that the construction of my boat does not look like that. I am suspecting that the boat was built on a frame with the plywood being as structurally supportive as what stringers, etc. are there. So I would have to flip the boat and remove all the fiberglass and then attempto to remove the plywood panels. Wouldn't I risk loosing the lines of the boat without knowing how the boat was originally built and having a similar frame in which to work from? Whew... After we've discussed that one, I have a couple other questions, but I don't want to write a novel.

Thanks. Really enjoy and appreciate the exchange.

Tim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 2:46pm
Tim, Welcome to this fantastic site and a fellow CC owner. Any boat is repairable if you have the time. I am a owner of 2 plywood boats and one has bright finished (stain and varnish) hull sides like your Compact. I too have some dock dings and wish there was a easy way to just veneer over it but there isn't. I have struggled with this for many years and can go into great detail on why you can't do it but that can wait. The first thing I need to ask is how much time do you want to put into it and do you want to restore this boat or just make it run? On a restore, be prepared to take it down to this:

If you just want to run it, you do need to know that your dad gave the boat a early death sentence by fiberglassing the bottom 25 years ago. He, I'm sure didn't know it and there were alot of people doing it to their boats. It is a tempory fix at best to stop a bad bottom from leaking. Because it traps water, rot is accelerated. You have mentioned you do have some rot. Where?
If you want to do a restoration,I would like to encourage you to a "as close as possible as factory" restoration as possible. I'm noted as a purist and am criticized for it on occasion but with a wood boat I feel it's important. The value as well as the salabilty are related to it's being original. Do you have any pictures? We also have another member here that just picked up a compact. I'll see if I can link his threads but you can do a search for Bill Long or Compact Skier.

Edit: Here it is

Bills 62 compact

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 1:40pm
61 compact,welcome to this unruly band of boat nuts,Pete will slowly bring you up to speed on both ways to do this project.There is the correct do it by the book ,no holds barred,keep it as it was,do not deviate.
Then some ideas and tricks he has learned over the years of his addiction to WOOD.Super guy with lottsa practice and connections .............boat dr
61Compact View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 61Compact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 1:30pm
Hello. New to this site.

I have a 61 CC Compact Skier that I grew up skiing behind, and saved from getting sent to the dump. Boat has not seen water since 1990, and when last stored was not winterized. Freeze plugs didn't pop, so the block did. Amazingly it ran afterwards, but needs replacement. The boat is original mahogany ply on deck and sides. My dad fiberglassed the bottom up to the waterline 25 years ago. Still in good shape. Some dry rot to contend with, but nothing major. Question is this: The sides are pretty dinged up. Several bad patches and many scratches. I can't see how I'd actually remove and replace the ply. Any thoughts on veneering with 1/8" mahogany? Possibly strips? If I am adding weight, I am thinking I can bump up the power on the engine from the 144 85HP in her to say the 177 or the 200? Looking forward to your advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic