Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

back fire through carb under load

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Stevt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: back fire through carb under load
    Posted: August-17-2007 at 7:01pm
I have a 68 mustang with a 302,in the yard in neutral it runs fine,revs up and sounds great. In the lake when I took off it backfired through the carb and stalled. I tried to adjust the distrubtor in the water and got it running back to the ramp. I think it's a timing problem, does anyone know what the timing should be and at what RPM'sor any other suggestions?   
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 9:23pm
Replace the power valve in the carb if it backfired through the flame arrestor. And change the accel pump too.
Tim D
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 11:55pm
Backfiring through the carb can be caused by a couple of different things. The most likely cause is a lean air/fuel mixture. With the age of your boat I wouldn't be surprised if your backfire was isolated to a worn camshaft (lobe wiped off). Especially with oils that are available today. Timing can cause backfires too but that usually occurs in the exhaust.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 12:56am
accel pump and timing
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 8:02am
To answer your original question. Not positive about a 302 timing but I know that a 351 or a 350 will be 8 degrees BTDC at 600-700 RPM. I would assume that a 302 would be about the same. Start there and see how it does.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Stevt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 9:54am
Thanks all for the advice, it's 6:30am and I'm ready to go try a few differnt thing's (my wife thinks I'm nuts). This site is great and I'm glad I found it. The only other older Correct Craft in my area is "Hot Pant's" and I told him yesterday about this site. He was driving down the road when he saw a Correct Craft go by and had to turn around and follow it to the ramp. We talked and he watched as me and my son took off,then he watched as I putted back to the ramp. I need to get this thing running right ! Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic