NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351PCM hesitation out of the hole

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351PCM hesitation out of the hole
    Posted: August-20-2007 at 12:23pm
bill, do a search for 'carb' and look for gottaski...IMHO, he's sharp on carbs!

tons of info here, though it takes some time to absorb   :)
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 11:41am
okay, here is the stupid question of the month. when one has this problem of bogging at takeoff and one is adjusting the accel pump, to make it sqirt more gas do you tighten the nut?
bill
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2007 at 12:01am
Originally posted by southwind83 southwind83 wrote:

Adjusted idle mixture to highest vacum (to the best I could tell)

Then you likely dialed in a hesitation.

Set it to strongest idle/ best vacuuum IN FORWARD GEAR. You will like the results.

Also setting the accel pump clearance is at WOT, to simply prevent mechanical binding.
many people mistakenly set clearance to be sloppy at idle with high precision - bad.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
southwind83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 2:12pm
Thanks to all I'll let you know how it goes after adjusting acc. pump.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 11:54am
your issue should be the accel pump or maybe a float a shade high, but then it could be just the operator as well. If your going basicly from neutral to Wide open very fast, try puting it into and letting the transmission shift into gear then steadily open the trottle all of the way giving the engine time to react, VS. just throwing it down as fast as you can.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 8:11am
I think you may be on the right track. Sounds like you have done everything else. Try adjusting the pump shot the other way a little bit. Especially if giving it more fuel made it worse. If everything else is set properly, the pump shot is the only thing left.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 1:10am
I have done all the above except # 6. I will do some research on that. I just took the boat out for a few minutes and tried adjusting the accelerator pump a little but seemed to get wrse when I adjusted for more fuel. I ran out of daylight so I had to quit before adjusting the other direction. I am going out in the morning to work on it on the water so any suggestions between now and then would be great. 79nautique do you have any suggestions?
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 12:34am
Here are a few more things to check:
1) Fuel pressure and delivery. Fuel pressure should be about 4 - 7 psi. Delivery should be about 1 pint/30 seconds.
2) Make sure your choke is opening all the way when when engine is warm.
3) Make sure your timing is advancing correctly. Use a variable strobe (adjustable) timing light. You should see about 32 degrees total timing at roughly 3000 RPM.
4) Also you didn't say anything about your spark plugs. Should be Autolite 24's gapped @ .035".
5) If all of the above are good start checking for leaking gaskets. Use spray solvent (like WD40) around intake and base-plate gaskets. Listen for change at idle.
6) If good up to this point I'd probably do a plug chop test run. You can find threads on this test here on this site.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southwind83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 10:56pm
I have spent a lot of time reading the threads and I am real close to fixing all of my problems but I still need some help to get it perfectt.

351PCM hesitation out of the hole for a second when I dump full throttle. Here is what I have done:

Ugraded to EI Conversion from SKIDIM (contact gapped @ .010)
New plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil (SKIDIM)
I rebuilt the carb (floats adjusted & parrallel to bowls)
Timing set at 10 BTC
I even tried adjusting timing while driving and it seemed to run best set at or near 10 BTC
Mechanical advance working fine
Adjusted idle mixture to highest vacum (to the best I could tell)

All of this and it still hesitates out of the hole just for a second when I dump full throttle.

I was cnsidering playing with the following:

adjusting gap on the EI contact & accelerator pump

I haven't messed with the accelerator pump on the carb other than setting it to what the manual reccomends for it to be set at with feeler gauge before install.    

Should I do either of these or look elsewhere? Could I be running too lean?   Any help woould be greatly appreciated. I don't want to start stabbing in the dark and get it further away than I am.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic