Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slider

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slider
    Posted: August-20-2007 at 2:34pm

We put our first slider in the river on saturday! It is built out of plastic skids and some old dock post and 4 2x6's it is 35 foot long and a foot wide. I have done it about 20 times now! It is pretty fun! I will post some pics of me riding it sometime. I only had a driver in the boat so no one to take pics...

Do any of you wakeboarders have any sliders built?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 2:55pm
Brad, I actually started designing one to replace the one that my son and friends had built. The design was for a adjustable height as well as adjustable legs for different water depths. Side curtains and even 6" dia. PVC pipe for flotation so it could be towed to location. It never went beyond the design stage due to liability concerns. It is sad to say but in todays court system it is a real concern. I highly recommend you go get a 10 million dollar or more insurance policy if you don't have one already. If something happens, you may pay for this the rest of your life. My son and friends no longer have their slider!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 3:54pm
I dont know who put it there officer
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

LMAO

...and the Corps cleaned up our jump and slalom runs in the early '80's?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

LMAO

...and the Corps cleaned up our jump and slalom runs in the early '80's?!!?

ODNR wanted to cite our team for having a jump last year. It is against the law to have a ramp like device in ohio.

68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 6:29pm
you guys are not going to tell on me are you?!!!! Ha Ha

No really..........J/k

I don't think anyone will ever see it so we should be ok!

B
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 6:50pm
Brad, I'm not talking about you having problems with the DNR, I'm talking personal injury. Got it? Someone gets hurt and sues your ass off! I don't care who it is . These days people will sue their own mother!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brad, I'm not talking about you having problems with the DNR, I'm talking personal injury. Got it? Someone gets hurt and sues your ass off! I don't care who it is . These days people will sue their own mother!

Not disputing that fact at all Pete but I'm curious. Does anyone have any experience with injuries behind their boat? I'd be willing to bet there are more injuries from wild tubing accidents than people going over jumps and sliders.

Not an expert on this cause I've never had a claim with my boat before but wouldn't your insurance cover injuries while towing skiers? I guess that would cover medical but they could still sue you if there was negligence. These days it's probably wise to carry a million dollar umbrella policy on yourself, covers you for just about anything you can get into.
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 7:36pm
No one else rides on the river except me so I don't think that I will have to worry about anyone suing me. But it is not a bad point.

That would pretty much be like someone skiing into a dock and suing them for putting a dock there.

I will take my chances....

Thanks for looking out.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 7:54pm
There's always 2 sides of the fence...

Some of you may know Corey Bradley. He pulled off stunts that some would say he'd never survive. I had a taller than normal pylon on my '79 and frequently saw an up angle on the rope. He has a supra up here but always liked the steep wake on the old CC...plus he was young and I was buying! LOL   He learned a few things on my BFN a few years before I bought it. Somehow it would have been a crime to tell him no. He's just that smooth.

Fence side 2...

Another best friend from childhood busted his legs on a ski jump. As I recall, he was 12th or 13th in the nation at the time in the under 15 class. Does Brian jones ring any bells?

My point is that a body should know its limits...and know that responsibility comes with decisions...

All that said, it sure makes me smile to see a cool move...and the big smile on their face afterwards!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 8:01pm
Alan, The decision with me not to go through with building the slider for my son and friends came from the advice of my cousin. He was a personal injury attorney and retired at the age of 48, has multiple homes a new car and boat every year so to say the least he did quite well in the field. It really wasn't good news for my son nor was it to me ether. I wanted to build a fully engineered from scratch slider!

Yes, a insurance policy on the tow boat is supposed to cover injuries but what if there isn't any insurance on the boat. We have plenty of people who drive cars without it and I'll bet there are lots more boat owners without it. The other problem is that once it is in the lake it is on public property that anyone can use so it will not be limited to use by Brad and his friends. This is on public water and not a trampolene or swimming pool in your back yard that is covered by a expensive rider on your homeowners policy. Even wavers of liability are no problem for a attorney in court as they can be beat in many ways. Our little ski club/team up north would not be able to exist if it wasn't for a group insurance policy I believe they get through the AWSA. I have heard that some people have had disputs with their homeowners with some of the large water toy trampolenes because they are not attached to their property.

This all reminds me about the 18' fiberglass Century that went over or clubs ski jump. It was I believe 1970 and I being the handy type and really never a big skier had just finished building a brand new jump. this was a major project and being excited about it got it anchored and then went down to the 3rd hole for a few taps. At first I didn't believe the guy running into the bar telling me that a boat had gone over it but it was true. When I got over to the club pier, the Century was moored and it was almost up to the gunnels with water. The gentleman driving the boat was taking his grand daughter for a evening boat ride. It was dark and he didn't see the jump. Made it up the ramp and then just teetered over the front edge and then went down bow first taking on all the water. All the running gear was stripped off the boat but the hull was fine. The ramp on the jump had many of the main joists and some of the stringers snapped. In this case, the club was very lucky that he didn't take any legal action and in fact to this day by the boat owners request, he remains anonymous.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by 68lemans 68lemans wrote:

No one else rides on the river except me so I don't think that I will have to worry about anyone suing me. But it is not a bad point.

Brad, it becomes public property in the water. How can you be sure that no one else will use it? How about it's construction? Do you know from a engineering standpoint that it is built correctly? I'm really sorry to bring all this up but these are facts of life and law suits these days are a major one!!

Edit: Brad, how much insurance do you have on your boat? Do you have any?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 9:27pm

It's only fun until someone gets hurt... thne they'll sue the crap out of ya!

Honestly I wish I could tell you to just have a ball but then if someone gets hurt they'll sue me too.

Can you pull that thing out of the water each night, hook it to your trailer hitch and pull it on shore. Does it float or sit on the bottom?
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 1:58am
I don't even accept gas money.

It may be an urban legend but I once heard of someone taking friends out for a day of boating and ended up being sued by a friend who was injured. The argument supposedly was since he accepted cash for gas in return for a service provided (a day of boating), he was operating a "boat for hire" without a captain's license.

Could be BS but I tell the people who come out on my boat to bring their swimsuits and whatever else they need to be comfortable - leave your wallets at home. Most people are surprised I ask for nothing. Just my way.

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 7:23am
Originally posted by 69 Mustang 69 Mustang wrote:

The argument supposedly was since he accepted cash for gas in return for a service provided (a day of boating), he was operating a "boat for hire" without a captain's license.
Mike

This sure sounds like the logic a attorney would use in court! That's how they work!

Brad, A attorney would be able to come up with some reason why the dock his client skied into shouldn't have beeen there!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 12:40pm
Well I know that no one will use it because there is no one in our boat club ( which is a couple of old guys) that wakeboards and no one else could put in because we have the only ramp.

I am not an engineer but I know what is safe and what works and I have been doing snowboard rails for years. So yes it is safe.

I do have insurance on my boat.

The slider is built on five 4x4 that are put down in the bottom about 3-4 feet so to answer your question it was not made to come in and out and we ride about every other day so that would be a pain in the ass to put it in every time.

B
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 12:41pm
That's a pretty good looking slider you've built 68. Most of the sliders I see look like someone threw them together in about 5 minutes. BKH
Livin' the Dream

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 12:54pm
68- That slider looks awesome, perfectly placed and appears to be a super solid, quality build.

Let's save the debate on liability for the winter when it's too cold to ride.

Carpe Deim.
Life is Good.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 2:26pm
If anything that is put in a public waterway becomes public property, what is there to stop me from tying up and hanging out on someone else's dock for the day?

Nice slider. Enjoy it. We have a watershed pond that I would like to put a few sliders on and get an old waverunner. I think it would be an awesome time.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by jon4pres jon4pres wrote:

If anything that is put in a public waterway becomes public property, what is there to stop me from tying up and hanging out on someone else's dock for the day?

If you check into the specifics of the law, you will find it has something to do with the pier being connected to the shoreline and the landowners riparian rights. If however you want to camp on someones raft, that's a different story!! Go to it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
68lemans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68lemans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 5:16pm
I guess my felling on the issue about people suing everyone for everything is if you worry about all the things people could sue you for you midas well live in a hole by yourself!

I like to have fun and live life like every day is my last, life is short and I am going to have fun while I am here! (I hope that is a long time)

Thanks, jon4pres, 82tique and bkhallpass

B
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 5:32pm
Brad,

I can't wait to see some video posted on that thing. It looks like a blast, eventhough I don't think I could make it across without some bones in the wrong place. Don't worry though, I won't file a lawsuit.

Have a blast. Nice job!

-John
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 8:01pm
What's that old joke

What do you call a MasterCraft full of attorneys at the bottom of the lake?
A good start.

Nice slider Brad, have a ball
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 1:00am
tull; LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 5:20pm
I see sliders like that all the time on the ski slopes- for snowboarding/ skiing.
There is always a medic waiting at the bottom of them too- waiting to scoop up the bodies
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 6:46pm
Last winter, both of my sons had matching broken left arms from what are called "fun boxes". Same thing as a slider but 16" wide and Teflon covered.
The water is a much softer landing.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic