Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Cover for 1990 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Cover for 1990 Ski Nautique
    Posted: August-22-2007 at 8:29pm
I want to buy a sharkskin custom cover for my 1990 Ski Nautique. Ordered one from Overton's (made by Westland), but it didn't fit. Thanks for any ideas on this.
1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 8:39pm
Why Sharkskin? Sunbrella is better.

Check out Rankin.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 8:50pm
Agreed. However, the cost of a Rankin Sunbrella cover is $800 and the cost of a Sharkskin cover is $300, which is all I want to spend.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2008 at 3:10pm
My 1990 SN was an early model year boat and apparently has a slightly different windshield configuration than the later model year boats.

I ended up buying a custom cover from Rankin in mid-February and just sent it back to them for a third "fitting". They got the windshield right the second time, but not the stern end of the cover. Am hoping the third time will be a charm.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 11:41am
There's a saying "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory" that I think applies here.

You definitely get what you pay for with boat covers and you won't be sorry if you pony up the extra for the Rankin cover.

I'm sure they'll make good on Uncle Buck's cover as their customer service is great.

The fabric does stretch a bit with early use. My cover wouldn't stay down around the rub rail (1989 SN 2001) at first, but stretched out to fit perfectly the second or third time I put it on.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 4:34pm
Looks like I'll have to return the cover to Rankin yet again for them to install a longer strap on the stern end of the cover. Rankin does make a good cover - I just don't think it should take 4 fittings and 5 months for them to get it right.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic