Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what distributor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
kelpomatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what distributor?
    Posted: August-29-2007 at 12:41am
hi,
i have a question for all you experts..
i am finished with my 351 w motor, reman short block, new gt40p heads. i now need a distributor. i was going to convert my prestolite points set up, but it was hammered. so my question is... do i get another points prestolite, and use the conversion kit i already bought, or buy a converted prestolite , or mallory, msd, or dui, or???
my engine is a non auto rotation, and it is going in my fish nautique
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 2:37pm
How big is your wallet? The DUI seems to be the distributor of choice for many performance enthusiusts here. Of course there are a few that prefer the mallory. If you buy a new Prestolite points distributor and then convert it you'll have almost as much in that distributor as a new DUI or Mallory. As of now an MSD is not an option as they do not currently produce a marine distributor for the 351W.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 4:23am
i have the prestolite conversion i was going to use on my old dist. i can return it though and buy whatever. at this point i am so deep into my wallet, whats another couple hun....
my concerns are reliability, (are parts available if i am down in baja somewhere) fuel economy as it is used for a offshore fishing boat, and of course performance differences.
thx for any feedback, i need to pull the trigger on this as it is my last need
chris
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by kelpomatic kelpomatic wrote:

my concerns are reliability, (are parts available if i am down in baja somewhere) fuel economy as it is used for a offshore fishing boat, and of course performance differences.

The DUI can use off-the-shelf GM HEI replacement parts (coil, cap, rotor, ign module). They wont perform as well as the DUI equivalents, but they will get you up and running. A hotter spark and consistent curve can only help efficiency and performance, and I think the DUI is better than the rest.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 3:25pm
i called dui, they said due to my engine being reverse rotation, if my old distributor gear is 530 thousands, they have a unit i can use with my old gear.
other sources tell me the internals are different due to the advance, and possibly oiling grooves of the shaft because the distributor also is oposite rotation.

my question now is, does a reverse rotation engines distributor turn the same direction as a standard rotation engine? if so i can get this project going alot sooner as a standard rotation dist. is easy to come by and cheap, and i will just swap out my old gear
thanks,
chris
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 5:29pm

i called dui, they said due to my engine being reverse rotation, if my old distributor gear is 530 thousands, they have a unit i can use with my old gear.
other sources tell me the internals are different due to the advance, and possibly oiling grooves of the shaft because the distributor also is oposite rotation.

my question now is, does a reverse rotation engines distributor turn the same direction as a standard rotation engine? if so i can get this project going alot sooner as a standard rotation dist. is easy to come by and cheap, and i will just swap out my old gear
thanks,
chris

Yes it turns the same direction no matter what rotation the engine is, the gear on the bottom is different on each unit though. I just got my new Mallory Magnetic dist yesterday and will be putting it in this weekend. I like the DUI and I've heard they perform well but it just doesn't look right on my Ford.

Mallory guarantees me the gear off my Prestolite will go right on their Ei unit. Their RR dist was backordered for another month so I purchased the LH unit and I'll swap gears, also saved about $50 doing it that way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 6:18pm
thanks alan,
so is the distributor you are using a ylm554cv or is it a ylu554cv? my understanding is the ylm series is more resistant to power spikes and the option i want to go with. i also tried to order the ylm554dv, but was told 1 month waiting time thru my supplier. please let me know if your old gear works, and i will go the same way if it does.
chris
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 2:06am
don't buy the the thing from JEGGS you'll never get it, order it from sumitt racing and you will get it quickly.

Lot of hype about the DUI unit, it's over rated, get a curve kit and adjust the dist likes it needs to be and the mallory YLU unit will out perform the DUI every time. So if any one else once to chime in go a head, just know what your talking about because I do know this subject quite well.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 2:37am
Hey Chris: You up North or down here? How about giving me a cell call?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 9:40am
I got the YLM, the tech at Mallory liked the YLU because they are easier to troubleshoot should it ever give you any problems. The YLU is a little more money .

79, I tried Jegs and Summit and also searched all over the web. Found a few places that the DV in stock but they must have been gold plated or something so I ordered from Summit, Supposedly one week backorder but the date kept changing until late sept now. Screw it, ordered the CV and I'll swap the gear.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 12:41pm
jbear,
i am in so california, give me your number and i will call
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 4:45pm
Allan I had the YLU unit and got the same run around at jegs, and called summit after a couple months, talked directly to a Mallory Distribution Center top dog about it and knew it was availible, he even confirm the order from JEG's but couldn't say weather it was mine or not.

FYI, Mallory has a new numbering system so it's like a 9xxxxxx something number now might give that a shot. Might try Mallory marine's web site for the right number.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 4:47pm

jbear,
i am in so california, give me your number and i will call

UUUUUUUMMMMMMMMM SSSSOOOORRRRRY newbie,

John's trying to get a hold of me about weather or not I'm going to make the Orlando reunion.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 4:54pm
http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product3452.html

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 6:07pm
oops,my name is chris too,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Allan I had the YLU unit and got the same run around at jegs, and called summit after a couple months, talked directly to a Mallory Distribution Center top dog about it and knew it was availible, he even confirm the order from JEG's but couldn't say weather it was mine or not.

FYI, Mallory has a new numbering system so it's like a 9xxxxxx something number now might give that a shot. Might try Mallory marine's web site for the right number.

79, Mine came in from Summit last week, just haven't had a chance to put it in yet. It was ordered under the old numbering system, I'll still have to change the gear though. Hope thats an easy thing cause I intend to do it at the campground in Shelbyville friday morning.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product3452.html

That's the right one Tom but too rich for my blood. $255 for LH from Summit, good deal if the gear interchanges like it's supposed to. We'll see how that work's out. Skidim has the same one for about the same money with the CCFAN discount.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 9:22pm
fyi, i pulled the gear off the old dist. today, it was pressed on pretty good, not something i would want to do at a campground,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 11:27am

fyi, i pulled the gear off the old dist. today, it was pressed on pretty good, not something i would want to do at a campground,

did you remove the roll pin first or just shear it off because you didn't know any better?

Allen take a small straight punch and drive out the roll/spring pin just enough to clear the shaft but not all of the way out, much easier to re-assemble if it's not completely driven out of the gear. But once the poll pin is driven back the gear will slide right off pretty easily as they are designed with a slip fit and not a press fit.

Also there should be a small pimple somewhere on the gear this should line up with the tip of the rotor. Shouldn't be any issues doing it at the lake.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 1:20pm
79, i might be a newbie, but i am not a dipsh&^
i have wrenched all my life in some way or another, usually motorcycles.
my old distributor was in rough shape, and the gear was definately tight on the shaft. in the past and in this case, i find that using a nail with the head cut off works very well for roll pins if you dont have the correct diameter punch. i had to use a puller to get my gear off. one other concern, my old shaft has a spiriled groove around the shaft. it is directional, is that to keep the oil from traveling up the shaft?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 1:27pm

did you remove the roll pin first or just shear it off because you didn't know any better?

Allen take a small straight punch and drive out the roll/spring pin just enough to clear the shaft but not all of the way out, much easier to re-assemble if it's not completely driven out of the gear. But once the poll pin is driven back the gear will slide right off pretty easily as they are designed with a slip fit and not a press fit.

Also there should be a small pimple somewhere on the gear this should line up with the tip of the rotor. Shouldn't be any issues doing it at the lake.

Actually did it last night Chris. Roll pin out with a punch and I did use a small gear puller to get the gear off. Only thing different is you need to drill out the roll pin hole in the gear as the hole in the Mallory dist shaft is larger. The Mallory tech told me I would have to do this. It did go back together pretty easy but I noticed the hex drive on the bottom of the shaft lines up differently than the stock so I had to mess with the oil pump shaft alignment to get it to drop back in.

racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 3:59pm
79, I'm curious why you say the mallory out performs the HEI. I know that you have designed ignition systems and know your way around the electronics, so I want to know your reasoning. I went with the HEI because I'm a GM nut and I know that dist. I did do some custom curving to get it where I want it, but it performs flawlessly. Please enrich and enlighten me.
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 4:13pm
the YLU unit has a optical trigger, the YLM and HEI have magnetic triggers. What's faster, light or a magnetic field? which is more stable, which has a more consistant trigger pattern (firing of the spark plugs)

the mallory promasters series coil has a higher output than the DUI unit as well.

and for all you that want to say well if there's water on the lens or moister in the cap then the optical system fails or doesn't fire, well that's just not the case, besides if you have that much moister in the cap then you have other issues all together.
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 4:23pm
So the YLU is like the Unilite series for autos? Understood now, makes much sense. My coil is 50 or 60,000 volts, I will check when I get home. What kind of coil do you run with that? I know I have seen alot of discussions on here about what coil, ballast resistor/no ballast resistor etc. It gets me confused. Also, is it a 3 wire hookup? Tach, 12V, and ???
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 4:29pm
three wire pos, neg to the coil and a ground to the block. The DUI site list the coil as 50Kv unit vs 55Kv for the Mallory promasters series coils.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 4:39pm

The DUI site list the coil as 50Kv unit vs 55Kv for the Mallory promasters series coils.

So the Mallory has a hotter spark- what about duration? Thats what PerformanceDistributors is citing for their .055" recommended plug gap. Whats the recommended gap on the Mallory?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The DUI site list the coil as 50Kv unit vs 55Kv for the Mallory promasters series coils.

So the Mallory has a hotter spark- what about duration? Thats what PerformanceDistributors is citing for their .055" recommended plug gap. Whats the recommended gap on the Mallory?

Timmy Timmy Timmy you really bought that line of BS, the only way to increase the duration is to use a wide rotor segment, you are able to open up the gap because of the high Kv rating of the coil not because of the module. Besides the only reason to open up the gap is fuel milage not performance.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 6:17pm

the only way to increase the duration is to use a wide rotor segment, you are able to open up the gap because of the high Kv rating of the coil not because of the module.

Agreed. That isnt to say that a longer duration spark isnt better though, is it?

Besides the only reason to open up the gap is fuel milage not performance.

Hmmm, you'll have to convice me on that one. My logic says that a hotter/stronger and longer (duration) spark will better ignite a lean mixture and provide a more complete burn- which would improve both economy/efficiency and performance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 6:42pm
since i am a pin shearing dips*&^, and you obviously know your stuff, can you help me?
i just locally found and ordered the ylu distributor, do i need some kind of recurve kit, and if so what is involved in recurving?
and what promaster coil i should go with? i was on the summit site and got overwhelmed with options.
i do agree though, thruout this project, summit has shipped the quickest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 6:47pm
oops, just found this

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MAA%2D29440M&N=700+309367+115&autoview=sku
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic