NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what distributor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

My logic says that a hotter/stronger and longer (duration) spark will better ignite a lean mixture and provide a more complete burn- which would improve both economy/efficiency and performance.

efficiency =
       lean mixture =
           hotter engine temp =
                     less fuel used =
                            lower rpms

performance =
      rich mixture =
          cooler engine temp =
                    more gas used =
                            high rpm =

give me F'n fuel because I's got no time to be efficent and burn it all anyway so make it a double shot of High Octane please and I'll see ya later

Like I said earlier the duration will not change due to the gap being increased. What you want is for the plug to fire a second time while on TDC and that is what the MSD and Mallory spark boxes do won't help abit on fuel milage maybe a 1-2% better maybe.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

efficiency =
       lean mixture =
           hotter engine temp =
                     less fuel used =
                            lower rpms

performance =
      rich mixture =
          cooler engine temp =
                    more gas used =
                            high rpm =

Like I said earlier the duration will not change due to the gap being increased.

Now I know we disagree

Your description of rich vs. lean may have some degree of truth to it, but it certainly does not tell the whole story. Did I mention that I dropped 4/8 jet sizes (front/rear) and picked up 200 RPM this year? That tells me there is such a thing as TOO rich. I couldnt find the quote, but I believe Gottaski said something about achieving the best performance by being just a tad richer than "too lean."

I agree that the a larger plug gap does not equate to a longer duration spark. However, it seems reasonable to me that the longer spark duration of the DUI (due to the cap and rotor design) does contribute to a more complete burn. The larger plug gap that can be run with the DUI probably has more to do with the higher output coil.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 12:13am

However, it seems reasonable to me that the longer spark duration of the DUI (due to the cap and rotor design) does contribute to a more complete burn.

hate to tell you that DUI unit isn't any different than any other stock HEI dist from the 70's-80's module included, might use a module from a corvette motor set-up but that's about it.

And again you can run .055 or even .065 with the DUI, Stock HEI or Mallory like I had on mine. Your not getting anything fancy Tim just because they can copy/use an expired GM patent and parts, doesn't mean sh*t ran .065" gapped plugs in my '77 regal with a stock 350 and HEI dist.

Hell tuned up a ton of cars at the shop the same .065" gapped plug and not a single one was a hot rod by a mile.

Please quit trying to justify that the DUI is superior it's not, I can go to the fucjing junkyard and pick-up a cadilac HEI unit(or which which ever casting matches up with the ford) and get it to perform just as good as the DUI unit piece of cake extremely simple to do.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 12:28am
Man I love it when you guys talk like this.

Chris; I am having trouble with my distributer again (I think) so please hurry back down here and get me fixed up. You know I have no chance of understanding all this.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 12:46am
79, you do have to admit that some of what you said is exactly a reason to use it. It really hasn't changed alot since the late sixties when it was introduced. It has always been a great performer on anything under 6000 rpms, simple to install, buy any parts at about any parts store.
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 12:53am
jbear, I'm definitely not Chris, but I wouldn't mind at all taking a look at your boat for you. I'm in Lakeland, and I am near Lake Wales pretty often. What kind of problems are you having? Chris, I don't mean to try and step in, but I would help if I could.

Lakeland, FL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 1:13am
no problem, he just needs to get a conversion kit or a new dist.

After a season on the points they need re-gapped (dwell set) and re-timed as well as they are now a little worn.

The HEI is a good unit but it doesn't belong on a ford motor and with the Mallory it looks stock, is easier to re-curve for any cam/engine combination and has better performance overall and cost less so to me it's a no brainer, Mallory

you can buy into all the marketing BS if you want but facts are facts, optical trigger, stock look, higher Kv output, easier to adjust. So what if it has one more wire big deal.

Oh what is that BS that just came out of your mouth Tim the DUI is only one wire, well not exactly, postive lead and a negative lead, what there isn't a neg lead on the DUI then what the f**k is that second wire for, oh the Tach you say, and what the f**k is that, a second lead that grounds the unit my friend.
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 1:29am
I wouldn't mind at all tuning the points or installing a conversion. I would love to see that boat in person anyway.

I guess you may be right on the Mallory/HEI argument (looks stock), but I really don't know why it's easier to recurve. It's just the HEI just comes naturally to me. You know, because I'm used to working on motors with REAL power.   Just a little banter to tick off all you Ford guys. I must say, I have been very impressed with the performance of my 351w.

Lakeland, FL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 1:45am
well on the mallory unit the base plate inside of the unit is adjustable and limits the maximun possible advance, then it just comes down to selecting the right combination of springs to curve it. Where on the HEI usually you have to change the weights and springs and cannot limit the max advance so as the springs wear and loose some of there tenson the advance creeps up as well.
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 2:01am
I see your point on the Mallory, but not so much on the HEI. You can limit the advance with bushings that you put on the posts. As for the weights, you can grind on them til you get the curve you want, and play with springs. I did some grinding on the 'dog-leg' of the weights to give me more advance (I wasn't getting enough).

Lakeland, FL
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 2:03am
Tim; Thanks for the offer. If you are near Lake Wales once-in-awhile you need to stop by for a cold one. Love to meet guys from here. And I would love having the help on the boat. I usually stay out from under the motor box execpt for oil changes. Lots of stuff goin' on under there that I don't understand.

BTW; Are you planning on going to the Orlando Reunion?

Drop me a e-mail to the address in my profile and I'll send ya my cell number.

You might not be Chris ('course..few are!) but from reading your posts it sounds as tho you know your way around a motor.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 8:50am
Ok, so what about Kelpos coil question. Sorta hard to find a place to mount anything but a round coil under the hood. Anyone using the Promaster series or anything other than the standard round style? Where are you mounting it?
kelpomatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 11:58am
alan,
i ordered the promaster series, and will see if i can make it fit somewhere, after the freshwater cooling is mounted. since my boat is a fish naut i have more room under the hatch than yall, so hopefully it will work. this weekend the motor goes back in!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 11:59am

hate to tell you that DUI unit isn't any different than any other stock HEI dist from the 70's-80's module included, might use a module from a corvette motor set-up but that's about it.

I didnt claim it was a new design- but if it works, it works. Im unaware of any other HEI marine distributor made to work on Fords. Its true that standard GM HEI parts will drop right in, but the DUI module is better than the run-of-the-mill stuff you get at Autozone (I lost 200 RPM when I tried the cheap module).

The HEI is a good unit but it doesn't belong on a ford motor and with the Mallory it looks stock, is easier to re-curve for any cam/engine combination and has better performance overall and cost less so to me it's a no brainer, Mallory.

I think the DUI looks good on my motor, but to each their own. Both the Mallory and DUI can be recurved, but if you say the Mallory is easier Ill believe you. Id be curious to see if there was a performance difference between the 2- I havent seen that documented yet. I do know that I gained 200 RPM on a stock motor by going to the DUI, so that sold me. As for price, the $375 would have bought me either the DUI or the Unilite and a new coil, so it was basically a wash.

Oh what is that BS that just came out of your mouth Tim the DUI is only one wire, well not exactly, postive lead and a negative lead, what there isn't a neg lead on the DUI then what the f**k is that second wire for, oh the Tach you say, and what the f**k is that, a second lead that grounds the unit my friend.

Last time I checked, the tach signal wasnt a simple ground. By losing a few wires and the remote mounted coil, the DUI looks cleaner to me- but I certainly wouldnt call the stock set up messy. If I already had a good coil and plug wires, I wouldnt hesitate to go with the magnetic Mallory on a future project.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 12:20pm

I think the DUI looks good on my motor, but to each their own.   

As for price, the $375 would have bought me either the DUI or the Unilite and a new coil, so it was basically a wash.

If I already had a good coil and plug wires, I wouldnt hesitate to go with the magnetic Mallory on a future project.

Tim, The DUI on your boat does not look out of place at all, in fact in looks darn good sitting in there. My older boat I didn't think it would look correct.

Price wise you are correct and I gave it the same consideration. As part of my rebuild this spring I installed a brand new coil for the EI conversion and a nice set of Plugs wires. I couldn't justify the expense of replacing those components.

I believe both systems are more than adequate and it comes down to the specific application and personal preference.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Ok, so what about Kelpos coil question. Sorta hard to find a place to mount anything but a round coil under the hood. Anyone using the Promaster series or anything other than the standard round style? Where are you mounting it?

you don't remember where I had mine mounted at? used that very same coil, made a bracket out of 404 stainless steel, used two of the intake bolts to mount the bracket it was pretty easy to do.

And Tim why are you buying cheap ass sh*t from Autozone, get a Delco module and you won't see any difference, also take a look around the base of your dist, the machined OD section that the cap sits on and I bet you find a stamped 7-8 digit part number on. Do you really think they had a special casting made to work on the ford block.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 6:38pm

And Tim why are you buying cheap ass sh*t from Autozone, get a Delco module and you won't see any difference, also take a look around the base of your dist, the machined OD section that the cap sits on and I bet you find a stamped 7-8 digit part number on. Do you really think they had a special casting made to work on the ford block.

I was trying to troubleshoot a no-spark condition. No worries, the good module is back in and the crappy one is in Mojo's boat

Whether Perf Dist had a new casting made or not isnt the point- its still the only marine HEI unit made for Fords that I know of. If you think Im going to cobble together existing parts to create a safe, reliable, high performance marine ignition, youre crazy!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 6:53pm
No I wouldn't suggest you do it, might not work after your done with it anyway, but Me personelly I could, but I do have an advantage since I worked for them and know how to run a lathe or machining center as well.

My point is there are already base housing out there that can easily be machined a little or are an exact fit all ready that would work. Perf Dist isn't doing anything fancy other than marketing, and are using off the self items to build the dist. they sold you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 6:55pm
79, can you click a pic of your mount for me?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 7:03pm
if I had the boar still no problem. Search and you will find a picture of my motor on hear. I'll check and see if I still have a shot down here on monique's computer to post.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 7:05pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 7:10pm
thanks, that looks like the way i will go with mine, the fresh water cooling might get in the way. hopefully it will be running this weekend
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 7:15pm
what the hell are you talking about fresh water cooling, there all fresh water cooled and won't be in the way.

Now if what you are trying to say is closed cooling system then yes it will be in the way.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 8:15pm
that motor looks slow!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 9:39pm

what the hell are you talking about fresh water cooling, there all fresh water cooled and won't be in the way.

Now if what you are trying to say is closed cooling system then yes it will be in the way.

Raw water cooling is not the same as fresh water cooling.

Fresh water cooling = closed cooling
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 11:51pm
closed cooling has anti-freeze in it so how fresh is the water really?
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2007 at 3:21am
This is what I run in my boat!!
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2007 at 5:14am
MM, I prefer the Zephyrhills brand myself, you know, keep it local. That's funny.

79, about the casting of the HEI. It is not a GM casting. I believe the castings for these Ford HEI distributors are coming out of Austrailia. They are really good castings too. I think that ProComp is making them...I bet DUI is buying blank castings from them and building theirs.

Lakeland, FL
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2007 at 2:42pm
I love a cat fight , when it don't include me even better.
I think this is a mute point to say the least, when you light off the fuel charge and it slowly moves across the piston, it don't care about 3 or 4 extra sparkies.
British Thermal Units, determines horsepower, the more heat the more HP.Right up to the time when Mr. Squeeky Calls.Ask John Force,record setting runs are followed by a engine swap,smoked pistons bla bla bla.
Dumping more fuel and sparking it more don't do it.........boat dr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2007 at 4:54pm
since my boat is strictly in saltwater, and my history is with salt water boats, fresh water cooling is the term used locally. but, yes, i am putting antifreeze, heat exchanger, etc in my baby. saltwater will still be in the manifolds though. i have been looking at those hi tek stainless manis, but, they probably cost more than my boat. they look fabulous and i bet flow much better than the cast iron osco pigs.
anyone know the cost of the hiteks?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic