FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GL-Thought you’d heard it all?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 6:53pm
Issues like these are part and parcel of large event gatherings - particularly one that has grown to be as big as the Green Lake Reunion. Permits, cooperation from local governing bodies and law enforcement, liability insurance, etc. are details that need to be worked out each year.

Dave has done an amazing job of getting these issues dealt with for the past two years, behind the scenes, and will likely be able to address them for '08.

Please remember that Dave and Alan donate a great deal of time and energy to the event simply because they want to see it happen. I owe a lot to them for what they have created in Green Lake. It's important to note that what keeps them motivated is the positive experience of the reunion. This event was the best boating weekend of the season for many of you who attended and hearing that is what makes it all worth the effort.

I am going to be working with Dave and Alan to get these things figured out. Your suggestions from the Reunion Survey will also help us create more worthwhile, engaging and memorable events.

I am confident that the event will take place again next year. We should have more information shortly as we work out this latest issue.

Thanks again for your support.

-Keith
Keith@CorrectCraftFan.com
CorrectCraftFan.com
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 12:19am
Keith: Did you get an e-mail from me a couple days ago?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2007 at 12:49am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

While we're talkin noise....what about Harley's? Almost everyone I know has altered exhaust.... (removed mufflers with straight pipes) . Ive never heard of cops pulling them over for loud pipes... Im sure a
lot of them are over the 86 limit... What gives?

I could go on about this for hours.I can only speak about the law in N.H.(which changes quite frequently).The key to beating this is to be more educated than the people enforcing the laws.We have to perform a decible test on any altered motorcycle exhaust for inspection stickers.
   The law in NH is 106db max @2800rpm and is to be tested according to an SAE standard that I have a copy of,but is way too long to post.It basically states that a certain procedure must be followed PRECISELY and if used for law enforcement,leeway must be given if not performed to the EXACT procedure.You would be very surprised how particular the test description is,IE no wind over 5 mph,no grass,curbing,or obsticles over 6" tall within a 40 foot radius of tested vehicle,the meter must be at a precise angle and distance from the exhaust outlet,but can have no rigid means of measuring this distance actually attached to the meter.
     Basically, in court, it is an un-enforceable law.
I have not yet met any NH law enforcement officer that has been formally trained to use this piece of equipment,nor can anyone answer a direct question about the procedure without adding their own interpretation.
I am by no means a lawyer offering legal advise,just my experience.I know magnitudes of people that have been ticketed for excessive motorcycle exhaust noise...some just pay the fine....some go to court.None of my customers have gone to court armed with copies of the procedure(which can usually be found online) and lost their case.
The meter also has to be set to a certain response level and sound scale every time it is turned on,and if not done the meter can read as much as 10 decibles higher than it should.Not to mention the fact it is supposed to be calibrated every so often and the records of such calibtrations must be presented if asked for in court.
   Like I said, I could go on forever,I haven't even started to crack into this,but I'll spare you any more .
   The bottom line is it's about the money,not the noise.They want you just to pay your fine and go on your way.They're banking on the fact that your not going to take a day off from work to fight a non points violation,and risk losing more money.
In NH ,Reid's ticket at 1db over would have been thrown out by the DA before he even went into the courtroom.
   As a matter of fact,up here it has been beaten so many times that the police are not even allowed to test you for excessive exhaust noise unless there is more than one officer present to assist in the complicated procedure,and verify that it was followed properly.
   Bottom line....be polite,be friendly,and most of all...be educated.
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic