NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GL-Thought you’d heard it all?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GL-Thought you’d heard it all?
    Posted: August-29-2007 at 4:46pm
Since Alan or Moj haven't enlightened everyone yet, and since it happened with my boat, I'll share this load of this CRAP with the gang.

Deep breath: Well, Marshall and myself headed back up to GL this past weekend to get the truck and camper and do some last minute terrorizing (more relevance later) with my blue Mustang. Had a great ride up with Alan and Dana in the Bounder after staying at their place Friday nite by the way. Anyhow, I pick up the camper and head to Hattie Sherwood while Marshall gets the boat launched by the super folks from the Shoreline Boat Center. Marshall drops the boat in, idles out of harbor, runs out in the lake a 1/2 mile to charge up the week battery and then idles back in only to be greated by Barney Fife and a siren (the same old codger cruising around last month)and is informed, and get this, that the boat is TOO LOUD for GL. Seems WI has a boat noise Ord. Marshall called me as I was required to be present as the boat's owner, and was subjected at the dock to a sound test with a "2000 dollar" handheld piece of equipment, held facing the transom just 5' away as I was required to start the engine at the dock. First crack of the engine at idle sent it to 87db which was over the limit of 86. Then it settled to 82-83 as it idled. "But you know this will be way over the limit as it runs at full speed," he tells us. So we were forced to pull it from the lake or at least not run it or get hit with a $175 ticket. We told him about last months event and all the older boats we had there. "Oh yeah, sure I remember you guys," he says. "Bunch of nice boats, but if I'd had my meter at that time, I'm sure we'd have written some people up." Then after we informed him that we've got even bigger plans for next year, he proceeds to concur that "...you won't be able to come back here next year", and "anyplace else in Wisconsin for that matter." What a jackass.

Our take at this point is that back in July he knew he'd have an issue on his hands if he attacked us during the reunion, but saw the opportunity to make a statement with us/me this time. Unfortunately the deputy is missing the boat on who this regulation was actually set up to regulate. I asked him about all the old rumbling wooden runabouts living on the lake there, and he quickly said they'll be targeted as well. My butt. BoatDr called the state DNR who basically said they don't care how much $$$ we bring to an area, the law is the law in that the property owners spoke and didn't want loud boats. Another over-zealous shortsighted idiot. He also said enforcement was typically up to the discretion of the officer.     

So I called Bill (Chamber head) from the Bayview, and he was quite surprised and said he would talk to the powers that be. And basically said to not cancel reservations just yet as he thought smarter heads would prevail and promised to speak back with me or to Dave in the coming week, after he's had a chance to speak with others.

Oh, one final point of ignorance on Deputy Dog's behalf; he actually asked Marshall and then myself if we were familiar with a Captain's Choice type exhaust system. He wasn't even familiar enough with an inboard drive system to realize that wasn't an option. With the way he described that they could measure the exhaust db, all the mufflers in the world wouldn't make some of our boats quite enough at full throttle.           

All you Wisconsin residents need to get a hold of your congressman, and request that a grandfather clause be put in place or something else that would help more accurately define the actual intentions of the rule, as well as the means for measuring the sound. Or maybe Bayview Bill can just convince Super Trooper to ease up for at least 4 days a year.

I thought I'd heard it all............
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 6:05pm
So Barney plans on following all of us around next year and writing tickets one by one? He's going to have a hard time chasing 30 boats going in different directions!

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

So Barney plans on following all of us around next year and writing tickets one by one? He's going to have a hard time chasing 30 boats going in different directions!

He's got nothing else to do so why not. It's not just the ticket, he wanted the boat off the lake or he'd issue another one. Reid had just enough beers in him for he and I to brave a run later after Barney hung his boat up for the night though.

I'm not sure what the outcome of this is really going to be but it will get addressed.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 6:57pm
Looks like the law is pretty tight, but not very smart, same level 86db is quoted at three different test conditions, although a 2 db deduction is to be made depending on what condition is used. Still a fairly new law and therfore no exceptions yet. 86db is generally a level used in a 50ft pass by test a dock test would add about 2 db to your level. I can't pass a 90db 50ft pass by test in my Mustang (NY law but I have never seen it enforced), depending on whats being tested here at the time I can probably borrow a sound meter for the next reunion, might be another leg of the bragging rights competition.

Not only was the guy a fife for suggesting that you use a silent choice system on an inboard but also suggesting its use at all since it too is illegal in WI unless it can be shown that the boat cannot be operated in an illegal manner in either mode of operation. I am pretty sure they should have deducted 2 db from the test at the dock since they were not at 50 feet but I haven't read the others SAE standards referenced lately just the J34a that they use here in NY.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I'm not sure what the outcome of this is really going to be but it will get addressed.

How about quinner blasts some Kid Rock at Barney while everyone takes off for the sand bar. Anyone that's too loud split the cost of that 1 ticket.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 8:29pm
Trying to find a good mix of some really loud wicked marine Exhaust sound for my Ipod to blast out the tower speakers (perhaps Tim could do a recording for me), initially I wanted it to compete with the great sound the old boats have however now I am thinking about how much I could f**k with Sheriff Buford T Justice with this!! What a crock!!

"Nobody, and I mean NOBODY makes Sheriff Buford T. Justice look like a possum's pecker"
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 8:49pm
Reid , Thats a bunch of crap . I dont know why they wouldnt have a grandfather , for atleast all of the old boats that live on the lake . I do understand that there should be some kind of law for all those newer big boats with the open above water exhaust with the very large or even twin engines . These boats are very loud, probably way louder than ours .

So how was your trip over all ? I hope you had a good time despite the circumstances .

Quinner , Whats a possums pecker look like ? And how would you know ?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 9:27pm
Reid, I'm going up north to put the boats to bed for the winter tomorrow. I will check it out but have a felling it is Barney Fife who is creating the problems at GL. The law, I'm sure is aimed at the straight pipe jets and the megaphoned hydros. It's one of those things that's up to the discretion of the enforcement officer to push it or not. It will be interesting what Bill at Bayview comes back with.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 11:43pm
That really pisses me off, and it doesn't even effect me directly. I spoke with 81Nautique about this the other night, and he said it was the same cop that was googling the boats at the sandbar on saturday, and then putted up to the pier to look at them on sunday. It seems like he would have something better to do than harass people that bring a lot of money into his little piss-ant town. I would venture a guess that the group of CCfans is probably among the safest boaters on the lake. Sounds like he just needs to get laid.

Rob
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 12:29am
    They pull the same CRAP on us when we sled there also. Now we use their nice roads as we pull our snowmobiles THRU their state on our way to the U.P. of Michigan...
The Wi DNR site only states that a boat cannot exceed 86dbs. No reference as to who or how the test is conducted.Heres what I copied and pasted of their site...........

Mufflers and Noise Levels:

An effective muffling system is required for the exhaust of each internal combustion engine and the use of cut-outs is prohibited. Any boat operated on the waters of Wisconsin must be muffled to effectively reduce noise. Specifically, it is illegal to operate a boat that exceeds a noise level of 86 dB (decibels).

In general, do not modify your factory exhaust if the result makes it louder!

Loud boat noise not only bothers other operators and users of the waterways, it can also disrupt peace ashore because of sound's ability to travel great distances over water. Excessive noise can also prevent a boat operator from hearing other boats' sound signals and warnings and can prevent you from hearing approaching law or rescue personnel.

........ I hope Bill can help... I'm sure he's on our side.....

HEY PETE, I know there are a LOT of WI registered boats that belong to the ACBS...What do they say?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 12:49am
So where we meeting next year. Green Lake was getting old anyway. Would be great to visit another state/lake. BKH
Livin' the Dream

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 12:53am
Do you think this boat would excede the db's?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 1:07am
I know I'm preaching to the choir,but what makes me mad is no grandfather rule. How can you be expected to comply with a law written 40 yrs later?Our older cars are exempt from such nonsense.I also understand the problem with the knuckleheads and their over the tramson cutouts but a simple year cutoff would solve that problem.Hopefully cooler heads will prevail, at least it was not dropped in our laps at the last second.I don't know if anyone noticed,but I do have mufflers on mine.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 1:24am
Steve ,
Was this in what you looked up ? Or did you add it in ?

Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 1:29am
Here is the ordinance we have on the Chain and the Fox river-
1. All motorboats shall be equipped and maintained with an effective muffler
or underwater exhaust system. For the purpose of this Section, an
effective muffler or underwater exhaust system is one that does not
produce sound levels that create excessive or unusual noise, or sound
levels that are in excess of 90 decibels when subjected to a stationary
sound level best as prescribed by the Society of Automotive Engineers in
its procedure J2005.
2. No person shall operate a motorboat on the Waterway in a manner to
exceed a noise level of 75 decibels measured as specified in the Society
of Automotive Engineers in its procedure J1970 from any point on the
shoreline, or from any point on the water within 20 feet of the shoreline of
the body of water on which the motorboat is being operated.
July 2006
5. This Section shall not apply to:

Antique watercraft, defined as watercraft with a hull that is more
than 30 years old or boats which have been granted Heritage
Watercraft Identification plaques from the State of Illinois. The
Illinois registration number and, if applicable, the Heritage
Watercraft identification number, shall be deemed evidence of the
applicability of this exception
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 1:37am
Pat,
That was right from the DNR site.....

DNR Site...

87 dbs registered on Reids boat... a WHOPPING 1db over!!! Geeeeeee... Would be interested to see what the % margine of error that $2000 meter has?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 2:05am

Basicaly the Wisconsin DNR is clarifying there statement. Either that or they are contradicting themselves . I would say that in a court that this statement would win it for any classic boats .

BKH , You got any input on this subject or statement?

I think the only one that would have a problem would be Trbenj.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 2:06am
Well....guess I am leaving the '80 home next year.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 2:13am
So many problems in the world and we're enforcing a single DB!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 2:18am
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 2:22am
Maybe we can do somthing like this to the cop boats next year!!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 2:28am
Originally posted by p/allen p/allen wrote:

Basicaly the Wisconsin DNR is clarifying there statement. Either that or they are contradicting themselves . I would say that in a court that this statement would win it for any classic boats .

BKH , You got any input on this subject or statement?

I think the only one that would have a problem would be Trbenj.

Pat, I assume you're asking from the perspective of my former career as an attorney.

It's difficult to say how this would play out in a court. If I were the owner of a classic boat, I'd certainly make the argument you've set forth.

I doubt that the language quoted above is part of the legislation. Rather it's probably part of some well intentioned advisory guide from the DNR.

As a matter of practicality, the outcome in court will probably depend upon the judge you draw (not much different than when you appear in traffic court). These matters are reviewed in the lowest level courts. At least in CA this violation would be considered an infraction and thus it is likely one could not be represented by a lawyer unless the matter was taken up on appeal. Little of the decision is documented in these lower courts, and there is little precedent. Most people wouldn't spend the money to take this up on appeal.

I did do a little research today, and it looks to me like many of the states that have adopted noise ordinances have specific exceptions for classic boats. The question is what is a classic? One state (I can't remember which) excluded boats made prior to 1961.

Ultimately, it's probably best to work with a boating group, or a local group around the lake, with a collective interest to fight the legislation and/or fight how the law is interpreted. However, in the recent past, even this has not been effective. The offshore power boat association spent a lot of money trying to fight the noise ordinances at Lake Havasu. Ultimately they were unsuccessful and now must have mufflers on these powerful boats if they wish to use them at Havasu.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 2:43am
Man I love BKH bein' on here...don't always understand all he says but I love the way he says it!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 2:46am
Thanks , Thats exactly what I was thinking.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 4:36am
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 9:15am
I just emailed a close friend who is the president of the Glacier Lakes ACBS chaper in Wisconsin and also on the board of the ACBS. I do know the noise issue came up several years ago with the ACBS nation wide. I'll see what Wil has to say and post it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 11:16am
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

So many problems in the world and we're enforcing a single DB!

Chuck

Chuck,
Today its one decible, tomorrow its two.... pretty soon before you know it , it'll be two and a half, or maybe even three.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 11:21am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Today its one decible, tomorrow its two.... pretty soon before you know it , it'll be two and a half, or maybe even three.

Yea, then the next thing you know we will all be forced into Bayliners--they're quiet.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 11:31am
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

Yea, then the next thing you know we will all be forced into Bayliners--they're quiet.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2007 at 1:16pm
This is exactly one of the reasons I wanted out of WI. The DNR has some real assinine laws that pertain to a lot of different recreational vehicles including boats, ATV's and snowmobiles. I got a $125 ticket from a DNR warden for not having an observer while skiing. Now keep in mind, this was in Oct. on a river on a Thursday afternoon. It's not like there was shore-to-shore boat traffic involved in the middle of the summer. The only other people we saw all afternoon were duck hunters (who didn't have PFD's)!!!! I also snowmobiled for years in WI until a guy I was riding with got a ticket for excessive noise from his exhausts. Then you add into the mix the numerous lake association a**holes that add additional no wake, noise and skiing restrictions onto their personal (as they see it anyway) playground. I had enough. Don't have any of those issues here. Loud and proud. Sunrise to sunset. No observers needed. Year round. No storage. No winterizing. No speed limits. No skiing restrictions. No LOA rules. Lifes a Beach!!!!

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic