Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slamming the Throttle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kylake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slamming the Throttle
    Posted: September-07-2007 at 12:46pm
My slalom ski partner has gotten me into the habit of slamming the throttle down all the way from idle speed when pulling him up out of the water. He likes a fast pull up, and I am getting used to being pulled up the same way myself.

Question: do you think this sudden WOT method is damaging my GT-40 engine or my 1.23:1 transmission?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 1:19pm
As long as youre going from idle (in gear) to WOT, and not neutral, you wont do any damage.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 1:24pm
^^^and engine is up to regular operating temperature. HIT IT!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 1:25pm
No damage to the boat anyway, your shoulders on the other hand who knows ..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 2:03pm
Like the others say, as long as you are in gear and the engine is warm, no problem to the boat, but you...

I'm still trying to duplicate the slow gradual take offs that Keith was giving at the NE reunion. I beginning to think that reduction tranny and big prop may have something to do with it.
kylake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 2:20pm
Yes, the boat is warmed up and in gear with the rope tight. Now I will just need to make sure my shoulders are also warmed up! But I may start asking for those gradual take offs myself when I am in the water. Thanks for the replies.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 3:37pm
Hey Kylake,

By looking at your sig., I would assume you are over in the great land Between The Lakes area. Is that where you are? My brother used to live over there close to Moores Resort & I have been there many times. Broke a drive shaft in two pieces on my 71 Nautique wide open throttle just outside of the resort. Man that was an abrupt stop when the prop hit the rudder!

Welcome!
Greg

86 BFN
kylake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 4:19pm
Greg,

I grew up in Murray, and watched the TVA create the LBL. I was on KY Lake all of the time boating, skiing, fishing, etc. I live in Lexington, KY now and ski about twice a week at Laurel River Lake. The lake is sort of a long drive from Lexington, but once you get there it is great. It is so clean that you can actually see your feet when you swim; very unusual for a lake in KY.

Thanks for asking!

Ed
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 6:06pm
Lexington-close to home. I am from the major metro area of North Middletown. Been in the Atl now since 95. Actually I am headed your way first thing in the morning. Will be in Lexington for a family get together & head down to Richmond for the EKU game tomorrow night. Those cats put it on us last week! Been to Laurel a few times myself. Knew some guys that had a houseboat down there. Jeff Kaufman & Jamie Simpson. Don't know if they still do, that was before I left Lexington.

Have a great weekend!

Greg

86 BFN
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 6:25pm
kylake, you are probably not hurting anything except maybe linkage connections. If you are truly slamming it to WOT, you may want to try it different. Go from idle to WOT at a 'one-one thousand' count, with a smooth movement of the throttle. This is easier on the cables and connections, and also more time for the motor to react. You probably won't notice a difference in the pull up either. JMHO.
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic