NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Good intentions, poor execution.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good intentions, poor execution.
    Posted: September-12-2007 at 12:37pm
I stored my boat at a family friend's cottage for a couple weeks and with good intentions they used a little extra wood sealer/varnish from the dock to seal my swim platform!!! Apparently they don't know about not sealing teak! This is nasty, oil-based, thick sealer. Can I chemically strip it or will that wreck the teak?

They tried to do me a favor, so I can't fault them, but I'd never, ever seal my platform! Good intentions, but poor execution.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 12:41pm
I used some orange stripping gel from Home Depot on my platform, so I dont think you'll harm the teak. Not all of it came off, so I resorted to disassembly and sanding- hopefully you wont have to go that far!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 12:45pm
sorry to hear that but man you never mess with someone else's boat unless they tell you too. Not sure on the striping if it would hurt it or not, maybe having it sanded down would be better. I know where I'm from there is a shop that has a large thickness sander that my buddy used on his platform but the damage might all ready be done and there might not be any way to save it hopefully there is.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 12:56pm
I don't know if I can even sand it. It's still a little tacky.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 1:00pm
Joel, Get it off the boat and then use whatever paint and varnish remover with take off the coating. Don't worry about hurting the teak. You won't. Pressure wash it, let it dry, use a teak cleaner/britener on it and then a non organic teak oil. It will look better than new!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 1:21pm
Joel,

Don't use a stripper like Bix, find a product that is made to strip outdoor decks, like Wolmans Deck Stripper. There are other brands, the large box stores probably have them. These products work best when the weather is between 70 and 90 degrees.

Dampen the platform with water, put on the stripper, let it sit about 10 minutes, and like Pete said, you will need a power washer, wash it with the grain, and don't get too close or it will chew up the wood. I'd also cover the stern of the boat with a drop cloth.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 1:28pm
Chuck, What is your concern with a methyline cloride based stripper like Bix or Zip Strip? Just wondering because I have done my fair share of stripping and have yet to find anything that works as good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SeattleFordFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chuck, I have done my fair share of stripping.

To much information!!
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 2:07pm
Pete (imho),

I helped my son start a deck cleaning business to work his way through college. Deck strippers are very effective, cheaper, biodegradable, and less caustic than methylene chlorides (although you still need to cover skin and eyes). They help lift off oil or water based stains, although a pressure washer greatly aids the process. Deck strippers are specifically designed to remove these products on exterior wood surfaces without damaging the wood.

Methylene chlorides would be needed for varnishes and oil or acrylic based paints, which I don't think is an issue here. I'm not saying Bix would not work, just that there are other products that are available.

Chuck

Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 2:45pm
Thanks Chuck. I'm used to stripping paint,varnish and filler stains Travis!!!. Joel however did mention they used a "sealer/varnish" so the Bix may be needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 2:51pm
It's some sort of sealer/varnish. I got a glance at the can, which said sealer, but the surface is glossy and thick. A bit oily to the touch, so it feels different than a straight varnish or polyurethane-style coating. Deck sealers are certainly not my area of expertise.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 8:34pm
When is it gonna be "between 70 & 90" there again Chuck......June?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

When is it gonna be "between 70 & 90" there again Chuck......June?

john

I'll have you know Mr. Florida that the weather is perfect today. 80 degrees, the lake is like glass right now--unfortunately I'm not on it. The Royals also won this afternoon, breaking a long losing streak-again.

In the mornings there's just enough briskness to the air to put a jump in your step and the lining in your motorcycle jacket.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
NCH2OSKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH2OSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 9:51pm
Joel hate to hear that about your teak, grab a mat out of their truck and throw on your platform, you sure dont want to get that stuff on your ski! Good luck getting it off there.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 11:41pm
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] Thanks Chuck. I'm used to stripping.
I'm so ashamed Pete,you make it too easy
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 12:20am
If its glass you oughta be on it..thats why you live right there.

You can visit here in a month or so...or during Spring Training(!) and I'll take you for a ski. Hint...Spring Training is in March.

We been beating up on the sox enough to keep you guys outa last.

To hot here to ride the bike. It hasn't been outa the garage in a month. But I will be riding it in December and January.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 2:47am
Not a big fan of pressure washing any wood.

From marine store

How NOT to clean teak...
"With a powerwasher - Powerwashers just blast away dirt and expose raw wood. Not only is this rough on your teak, it also doesn't kill the mold and mildew spores in the wood."

I know you are not dealing with the "mold and mildew spores in the wood", but still - pressure washing beats the hell out of the wood. Use a chemical stripper designed to remove whatever your "helpful" friends applied.

Let me be the first to state that I'm no expert, but I do have a little experience with teak. Not to disparage any of the suggestions, but some seem to sort of fit with one of my sig lines.

Oh, and as far as I know, Amelia Earhart never cleaned a swim platform.

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 2:52am
Mike: Bet there isn't to many guys on here that know who she was anyhow. Read alot of books on AE...your signature line got my attenction first time I saw it.

Did you send off your tranny?

john

"Loud pipes save lives"

69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 3:23am
John,

I remember that you introduced yourself because of that sig line when I was a newbie. Thanks to you and all the board members who have helped me out since.

I have not sent the trans out yet - it still works fine in forward and there are a couple weekends left so I'm going to push it as long as I can. Based on the magic I have seen come out of Ohio, I figure I may as well bring the entire boat to Eric. I'll leave him a credit card and a promise to give him my first born. Hopefully that will have me back on the water come April (just kidding Eric!).

BTW, we need more women with the spirit of AE, glad I found one.

Thanks,
Mike

ps - M3Fan, my humblest apologies for the threadjack
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 2:13am
Right you are. Man was AE ahead of her time or what?

Make sure there is no limit on that card. They don't see to many cards like that up there in Brunstucky.

Me too M3Fan...sorry.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 3:22am
Just to follow up on this- I finally stripped of this finish today. Used Ace brand paint stripper. Applied it, waited 15 minutes, and the finish came off in ribbons with a plastic scraper. Ribbons. Went through 2 rounds of that, then cleaned up with mineral spirits, let dry, and hit it with 60 grit and then 150 grit with the orbital. Looks great now.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic