FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterization

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 7:31pm
Hollywood, the oil in warehouses have not been exposed to impurities such as gas. That is when oil starts to degrade and break down. Above they said they have run their boats for about 10hrs. Close to halfway a usual oil change period. I should have made sure I linked the oil breaks dow over time because of the impurities. I am sorry for that, didn't mean to be misleading or imply something different then what I was talking about.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 12:20pm
here's the age old question, should you change the oil in the spring or in the fall?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 12:44pm
So, whats the answer Eric?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

here's the age old question, should you change the oil in the spring or in the fall?

In what part of the country?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 2:37pm
Eric,

I think the fall is more important, so the dirty oil does not sit all winter, I like the idea of fresh clean oil being the last thing the motor gets before it's 4-5 mo rest. I normally do not change again in the spring, run that oil for about 25-30hrs then change it, that oil then gets about another 30-50hrs before it's winter again.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 3:03pm
quinner: Down here we....ahhh forget it. Hate to rub it in. Just know you guys are always welcome down here...we get to ski lots.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 3:30pm
I say the fall so all the acids wont sit in the pan, but if you wait till the spring you have a better chance of removing the condensation build-up, in the spring though you want to drop her in and goooooooo so the fall is good enough for me
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 11:13pm
Hey Eric (or other helpful guys),

I just winterized my dad's 351 OMC (it's a Four Winns I/0, but don't tell anyone) about 1994.

I pulled the hoses off the front of the manifolds, drained the engine block, and pulled the hose that runs back to the power steering unit (I think that's where it went) and drained it. The manifolds do not have a drain on them, just a rubber hose plug on the back of them which I can't get off (at least without tearing them up because of access).

So, my question is: Did the manifolds drain enough by pulling the front hoses?

I put the pink anti-freeze back in all the hoses till full, in both manifolds and block.

Thanks for the help.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 9:32am
you should be ok, in that situation i would drop the tongue on the trailer, its when you leave all the water in and it has no place to expand and the water cracks from being frozen
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 9:53am
Thank you Eric
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 11:09am
my best non winterization story is a record, 11 hours on the boat, crack doesnt describe this one, more like explode, I wouldve like to hear this one let loose
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 11:11am
In the winters while building our super highways in the 40's and 50's, they would drill down thru the rock and fill with warm water and when it froze guess what happened
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 7:13pm
uhhhhhhhh it exploded
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 10:33am
no, it just cracked
weitekampt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 12:57pm
You guys have touched on a topic that I have been debating for a long time. Fall change vs. spring change. Last fall I didn't change my oil (which was stupid) because I would rather have fresh oil in the spring. No damage, but I am going ot change the oil in the fall....then again in the spring.

Here is the real question. I have been known to break the boat out of storage for a December ski or even January 1st ski. I have the old 15/40 rotella but I don't want to run that oil when it is 30 degrees out. What weight should I put in for winter operation? If I do get it out, it will only be for a few hours. Can I just get some Penzoil 10/30 or something that will flow better when cold? Should I drop to a 5/30? Remember, I will be putting the Rotella back in when spring rolls around. So this lighter weight oil will be for storage reasons and possibly a winter ski only....then dump.

What are your thoughs???
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 1:31pm
Todd, I think PCM recommends 10w30 when running at low temps. Someone posted the page out of the manual... Joel?

I only change in the fall- Id normally say that theres no need to change again in the spring- that is unless you want to switch to a heavier weight. Maybe run the lighter weight through the early spring?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Todd, I think PCM recommends 10w30 when running at low temps. Someone posted the page out of the manual... Joel?

I only change in the fall- Id normally say that theres no need to change again in the spring- that is unless you want to switch to a heavier weight. Maybe run the lighter weight through the early spring?

For winter skiing my manual says 20W50. Otherwise it's 40W40 for >= 50F and 30W30 for < 50F startup temps.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 8:34pm
Weitekampt - How about posting a video clip of the next polar bear run? I hope you're good a dock starts!

Chris
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 1:06am
Oh Yeah! If we go this year, we will definitely get some video. I have a drysuit so I have plenty of fleece on. Renee is wrapped in her 12V blanket and carhart bibs. She's a real trooper. What is great about Jan 1 is you don't have to pack ice in the cooler!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 1:08am
Oops, Joel, thanks for the info on weights. There is no way in hell I am running 20/50 oil in my motor in the winter. Heck, I don't run that in the summer! My motor would buck and shake and probably blow up from pumping snot! I did that one winter and swore I would never do that to my oil pump again!

I think that 10/30 is a little more tame for winter operation.

Thanks again!!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 1:04pm
I changed my oil last night along with winterization. I would assume that many others have the oil drain hose they can stick through the hull to drain oil. Does everyone else feel that they get a good drain? I try to make sure that the hose is as straight as possible, but always feel like there is a possibility to leave some in there.

Is there anything on the market that you gearheads would recommend running in the engine to clean up the pan and inners of the motor? I did run a engine flush additive in my car once. Basically pour in (1 quart) of this motor flush and run for 5 minutes then change the oil. Any thoughts? Put 10W30 for winter oil and will immediately change to Rotella in spring.

Thanks for the input.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

I changed my oil last night along with winterization. I would assume that many others have the oil drain hose they can stick through the hull to drain oil. Does everyone else feel that they get a good drain? I try to make sure that the hose is as straight as possible, but always feel like there is a possibility to leave some in there.

Is there anything on the market that you gearheads would recommend running in the engine to clean up the pan and inners of the motor? I did run a engine flush additive in my car once. Basically pour in (1 quart) of this motor flush and run for 5 minutes then change the oil. Any thoughts? Put 10W30 for winter oil and will immediately change to Rotella in spring.

Thanks for the input.

Mine drains very slowly, even when the oils been warmed up. By the time it stops, Im pretty sure there is a full 5qts that comes out.

Never tried anything to clean up the internals- as long as its had regular oil changes there shouldnt be any sludge. My motor looked great when torn down last year at 1150 hrs. If the boat was neglected for a few years, maybe try Seafoam or some ATF in the crankcase.

If you go with Rotella in the spring, make sure its either straight 30w or 40w. The 15w40 doesnt have the zinc additives anymore. I switched to Valvoline Racing VR1 20w50 this year for that reason. This fall, I put in 2 qts of 10w30 and 3 of the 20w50. Ill report the oil pressure results in the spring.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 1:05am
Darn, I bought the rotella multiweight thinking that was what had the addative in it. Not a problem, I'll just use it in my tractor or diesel truck. But this spring I will get the straight 40W I would think if I can find it. I know I can get 30 at Rural King. Thanks for the update Tim. I have gobs of oil pressure even if I use 10W30. I feel that is pretty accurate because it was higher before I ran new ground wires to my gauges. After the new wiring, it came down just a bit, but it isn't 80lbs like it used to be. More like 60 at idle if I remember correctly.

Again, thanks for the update on Rotella. Actually I think I am going to use CenPeCo diesel oil. I had a oil analysis taken out of my truck at 6k miles and they said there were very low level of wear and the oil addatives were holding up great. I take an oil sample every 20k miles just to keep track of how the PowerStroke is wearing inside. I have used Rotella for 125k and it was great oil. I have played with numerous oils after that and they are all great.

What do you think about the Rotella 5W40 synthetic? I know it has been discussed somewhat (at least synthetics). But I wonder if the synthetic rotella has the ZDDP? I think it is the same formualtion as previous years. I run the synthetic in the winter on my diesel truck. It really likes it then I switch back to dino oil after April 1 or so. So what do you think about running this synthetic rotella 5w40 in the summer? I'll splurge if people think it is a decent idea. Reason I ask is I normally get 60 or so hours a year. I hate changing oil at 50 hours in September just to change it a few hours later prior to winterization.

I know another oil question, but I don't know the specifics on our motors and if synthetics will be bad. I think the theory of synthetic oil will cause leaks has been debunked. I swithch all the time in my truck with no leaks. Plus it's a diesel...who hasn't heard of a diesel that leaks! It it is bad on the valvetrain or something let me know, but this oil is affordable and I think it is a great alternative to the super expensive Mobil 1 stuff.

Later

1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

What do you think about the Rotella 5W40 synthetic? I know it has been discussed somewhat (at least synthetics). But I wonder if the synthetic rotella has the ZDDP?

Thats the real question- and I dont know the answer. Boat Dr spoke with a chemical engineer from Shell who was intimately familiar with all their oils- if he saved her number that would be the person to ask.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 1:09pm
Ok back to winterization. We finally gave up on the season 2 weeks ago.

This worked out so well kept warm and dry the whole time with the help of a kerosene force air heater, irregardless of the outside weather. Pete, I still can't believe you winterized your boats Labor Day weekend, that seems so long ago!

Ran a hose from the utility sink just inside the house straight to the trans cooler.

Trying to show how easy the hose actually collapses. I barely got to 2k rpm and still sucked a lot of air. At idle the water supply was able to keep up with the RWP.
Geno View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 5:19pm
Pull inside. Turn on thermostatically controlled heater.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Geno Geno wrote:

Pull inside. Turn on thermostatically controlled heater.

*Hope you dont lose power when its cold.
Geno View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 6:17pm
3 generators in the shop and another that's dedicated to the house.

I would have to drive ten minutes to the shop and crank one of the generators.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 7:03pm

*Hope you dont lose power when its cold and on vacation.
Geno View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

*Hope you dont lose power when its cold and on vacation.

No doubt!! I did pull the block plugs and plan to pull the exhaust plugs now that I know it has them.

Can you tell I'm new to this whole "car engine in a boat" thing?

Actually going to change all the fluids at some point soon, she already has stabil (in a mix of new and 3 year old fuel- mostly new) and I'll probably pour some anti-freeze in her for the two or three nights a year we have below freezing temps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic