NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Repairs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
taxabel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taxabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gel Coat Repairs
    Posted: September-13-2007 at 3:23pm
I am not Mr. Handyman by any stretch. I have been looking into doing my own gel coat repair, etc. on my boat. I have an 84' and we have driven the bow up into sand when camping, etc. The gel coat has worn off in the front. Is this something I can fix or should I find a competent rapair person to fix?
84raidertique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 3:40pm
Scott, If the bad gel is low enough on the hull, and you won't see it without getting under the boat, I have used a gel coat in a spray can form from Mini-Craft of Florida. I did this on my 77 Tique because a previous owner had the bad habit of beaching it. Mini-Craft didn't have the exact color of gel going back to 77 so I came as close as posible with there standard colors. Your 84 may be new enough that they will have a exact match. The product comes in a standard aresol spray can that you need to put a purchased catalyst pump on the top of to inject the catalyst into the can. You will then have about 20 minutes of spray time before the gel sets up. 1 can will be more than enough.

I will try to find a web link for you and repost it. If you go this rout, get back and I can give you a few hints.

Here is the link: Mini-Craft

When you contact them, give them your HIN # from the transom as they use it to color match.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:01am
Pete,

I have a similar problem with my 78 SkiTique. Thanks for the link - now gimme the hints!

Thanks again, what do you not know?

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:54am
Mike; Ain't it great having these guys on here that know so much and just love to share the knowledge?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 3:14am
It is tremendous! I owe on the knowledge part, trying to give back what little I know
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
taxabel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taxabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 3:37am
Great advice. I will get the hull number off the boat and order. What tips can you share? I will have that stuff all over the place. Thanks.
84raidertique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2007 at 8:11am
OK, the first thing you need to know is the gel in the aerosol can is reduced (thinned with solvent) so they can get it out of and through the nozzle. This makes the wet film very thin, runny and very low hiding so multiple coats are required. Spray in very light coats with time between them for the solvent in the previous coat to flash (evaporate) off. This may be 10 to 15 minutes depending on the temp and humidity. I will check the pot life (time before the gel thickens in the can) when I get home because I think the 20 minutes I stated before is wrong. I think it's more like 2 hours! Damn, I can't remember details like I used to and it's been a while since I've used the stuff! You should be able to get 4 to 5 coats on and the wet film build needed to cover. Make sure the hull is nice and warm as well as the can. Clean the area with acetone several times with several rags. Follow the instructions on using the catalyst pump and shake the can in all directions to make sure the catalyst is mixed. Spray a few starting shots out of the can onto some cardboard to purge the nozzle and the dip tube in the can. Start covering the bare area and then with each coat go slightly larger into the surrounding good gel. Keep the repair as small as possible. Don't worry about sanding and making this repair real pretty, smooth and shinny like the deck. You want the color back and no one will be standing on their head while it's on the trailer inspecting it! If you do get some runs or sags, they can be wet sanded out but remember this is a realatively thin coating of gel and it's easy to sand through it. I've been there having to get a second can because I sanded throuh the repair! It can be buffed out just like normal gel because it is true gel coat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic