Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting Problem > Bad Starter?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ski Marine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Problem > Bad Starter?
    Posted: September-17-2007 at 12:13am
Had a starting issue today.

1993 Ski Nautique. Started right up at the start of the day. Let it warm up for about 2 min and then it stalled as I was backing it out (not unusual for this boat at all). Tried to start it again and it just clicks once and that's it. Doesn't turn over. Tried many more times after making sure everything was still connected and it just makes one "click" and then nothing.

Battery is good. I'm sure of that. I even changed it out for another battery that I know for sure is good. The fact that it started right up the first time also tells me the battery is fine.

Could the starter just have had it's last gasp and gave out?

I obviously need to replace something, but I'm not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Chris
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 12:56am
Start by cleaning all of your battery cables, both at the battery , starter and ground. Could be corrosion..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 11:38am
what's the size and CCA rating of the battery? is it a deep cycle battery? if it's clicking it's because you don't have enough juice to activate the starter relay thus the clicking. just because you grap another battery doesn't mean sh*t if it is undersized to start with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 6:44pm
I cleaned all the connections and they are good.

The battery I put in was the same as the one I took out and I had just ran it on another boat so I know it had a good charge.

It only clicks once, not the repeating clicking you get when a battery is low.   I really don't think it is a battery issue.

Is there a way to isolate the starter or the relay?
Chris
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 6:50pm
Its possible that the its the solenoid or starter, but it still sounds like a low voltage condition. Did you check all the cables for corrosion on both ends? That includes battery->block (ground), battery->solenoid, and solenoid->starter.
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 7:38pm
Chris-
Sure could be. Check all the things the folks mentioned above (battery, cables etc). Then take the starter out to be tested.

I replaced my 1992 starter last week after it began to work intermittently and all the other suspects were ok. When it was put on the test bench - it was bad.
1991 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:17am
two f'n newbie's f'n know it all's can't answer questions all ready know the answers. but then if they knew all the answers then they would have all ready by-passed amd eliminated the starter relay and starter. One click well that just means their's two dumb ass's working on the pos. and neither know who's ass to chase first.

Boat is not SPELLED C A R.
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 4:30pm
Hey sunshine...

Just offering some input based on personal experience. Obviously it is not in the same league as you. I guess you measure knowledge by quantity of posts.

You just reminded me why I (and am sure others) were reluctant to post on this forum.

By the way... boat is spelled B O A T. Glad I could help.
1991 Ski Nautique
slalomguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

two f'n newbie's f'n know it all's can't answer questions all ready know the answers. but then if they knew all the answers then they would have all ready by-passed amd eliminated the starter relay and starter. One click well that just means their's two dumb ass's working on the pos. and neither know who's ass to chase first.

Boat is not SPELLED C A R.
[QUOTE=79nautique]
yea kiss me ass the rest of you sob's,
[/QUOTE]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 5:12pm
Your issue is the battery plain an simple. Jump the starter relay and if it turns over then maybe it's the relay, but I doubt it, I'm betting is does nothing. Hell take a jump pack and hook it directly to the starter. You guys are so smart but can't do the simple test to figure out what it is but it's not the battery according to you two.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Hey sunshine...

Just offering some input based on personal experience. Obviously it is not in the same league as you. I guess you measure knowledge by quantity of posts.

You just reminded me why I (and am sure others) were reluctant to post on this forum.

By the way... boat is spelled B O A T. Glad I could help.

hey d*ck head know how to spell boat, just because you pull one battery and but it in another boat doesn't mean sh*t either. Are the motors exactly the same? are the cables the exact same length and size? just because it starts your car motor doesn't mean sh*t either compare apples to apples not boat to cars not pears to plums. Fixed many aaahhh dumbs ass' problems that thought they knew what they where doing. walked up on a tons of clowns that can't jump start a car, change the cable placement fires right up after they have been d*cking with for hours with out any luck.

SO BACK TO THE QUESTION YOU DON"T WANT TO ANSWER WHAT IS THE CCA RATING OF THE BATTERY? WHAT TYPE OF BATTERY IS IT?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:36am
I don't know the specs on the battery off hand. I don't keep the boat at home. I will check though.

How do I go about hooking a jump pack directly to the starter? I've never done that before. Just put the red cable directly onto where the battery cable connects to the starter? What should I do with the black cable? Thanks.
Chris
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:44am
ski marine, did you ever think that asking a simple question would be this entertaining?
bill
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 9:00am
I avoided getting involved with this heated debate but I do have some questions!

Chris, (ski marine) On your previous posts, you seem to be really into the mechanical type performance upgrades that you are doing to your engine but are your electrical skills light? I ask because the first thing I would do is get out the volt meter and get some readings. It would help in tracking down the exact problem: Jumping the starter solinoid while getting the volts at the starter.

Chris, (79) You are leaning towards a bad battery but have also recomended using a jump pack. Aren't the jump packs light on the CCA as well and ment to assist the exsisting battery?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

I was where you were once....... got ripped by 79 over a Peyton Manning comment...... don't sweat it and keep posting. 79 just has a gift for explaining things in a expletive way.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 6:15pm
the jump pack will have enough juice to verfiy the starter works, if done directly to the starter, going through 6-8 feet of cable no. Take the ground to the block, make sure its a clean spot, paint free, drag the teeth of the clamp to clean it if needed. then take the pos cable directly to pos bolt on the starter. it's going to spin or it's not, might just engauge and stop because somthing is preventing the crank from turning. So now you will know if the starter is good or not, then it's off to the relay, attach the pos to the other pos post on the relay that goes to the battery, hit the key.

now you can do all that or bypass the NSS on the tranny, both white wires on one post, first or last you pick.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 9:17pm
8122, I think you might have me mistaken for someone else doing performance mechanical upgrades to an engine. I worry and fret about the color of smoke coming out of my exhaust and I change the oil every now and then, but that's about it. Everything else done to my boat is done by a professional. I'm pretty good at doing some things, but fixing boat engines ain't one of them. I am hoping to be able to fix this problem myself though if I can. We'll see...
Chris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 9:22pm
79, thanks for the advice on how to attach the jump pack right to the starter. I'll try that and also bypassing the NSS. I've never seen the NSS before, but I think I get the gist of what it does from other posts on this site. Owner's manual should show my what it looks like.

I've got a new starter on order, but I'll try these other options first. Things would be a lot easier if I lived on the lake where I keep the boat, but that is a luxury I just don't have. I'm planning to go to the lake on Sat armed with the volt meter, the owner's manual, a jump pack, and a new starter. With all that I hope to be on the water by noon one way or another.
Chris
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 9:37pm
Chris, (ski marine) yes I am confused but it isn't the first time nor will it be the last!! Sorry as we have a couple marine's here on the site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 1:03am
Nutral Safty Switch NSS just follow the white wire down from the starter relay on the back of the motor and down to the side of the tranny and you'll see another you connect the two and make sure it's not in gear when you hit the starter.
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 1:43am
Did you try jumping the solenoid relay with a screw driver and someone turning the key.My solenoid relay was out & it was clicking like yours.I jumped the two posts on the relay with a big screw driver while turning the key & it started. I got a ford relay for $5.00 at Autozone & it fired up. I have an 82 2001 & I'm not sure if yours has the relay like the 2001s hidden under the plastic cover with the red button on the top rear of the motor.Dan
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 11:44am
Originally posted by dans dans wrote:

Did you try jumping the solenoid relay with a screw driver and someone turning the key

You wont need to turn the key when jumping the relay- just leave it in the ON position so the ignition has 12V.
98sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 1:45am
Had similar starter problem with 98Sport GT-40. I emailed Discount Inboard Marine and had a tech respond in less than 24 hrs. He thought it was the starter relay. I replaced it for about $25 and starts fine now! Me not being a mechanic and basically guessing, this was the cheaper alternative to a new starter. DIM was right and I highly recommend them. (http://www.skidim.com)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic