Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

american skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
wetamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

What lakes do you guys drop your American Skiers on?

I am in the Dallas area but looking to travel to some new places next year with the Skier in tow !!
Wetamb

1992 American Skier Legend
2000 38 SeaRay Sundancer
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2007 at 4:28am
Travis, I realize that the boat on craigslist wasn't yours I was just commenting on the tower. Personally, I would never put a tower on an old classic ski boat, but different strokes for different folks.

Wetamb,

Thanks for the site!!! I've already sent em like 5 emails, I had no idea that was around...
wetamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2007 at 1:38pm
Ultra,

How in the world have you kept that great boat under 200 hrs total time ?? U have better control than me. I would be out every weekend showing that thing off. What state you in ?? Would love to come by and check that thing out sometime.

Wetamb
Wetamb

2000 38 SeaRay Sundancer
wetamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2007 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

Wetamb,

Thanks for the site!!! I've already sent em like 5 emails, I had no idea that was around...

No problem phospher. Anything to help a fellow American Skier bud !!
Wetamb

2000 38 SeaRay Sundancer
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2007 at 9:15pm
Hey folks, thanks for all the nice comments on my '82 American Skier.

I bought the boat from a family friend last year. It was bought new by my friend from the factory. My boat was specially built for the Miami boat show that year, and featured the black and gray colors you see. It was stored inside since new and only used a few times each summer on a river north of Pittsburgh. I have done nothing to the boat other than new hoses, electronic box for the distributor, coil ect. It has the Commander 351. It's a great boat. I'm in upstate NY.

thanks again.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 8:59pm
Gee, I go away on vacation for a week and folks start coming out of the closet as American Skier owners.

Eddie, I would say the 400 boat per year is not a small production in the ski boat industry. Even today, probably only four companies produce more than 400 per year (CC, MC, Malibu, and Skier's Choice (combined Moomba and Supra lines).

Also, I would say it was not the 20K price tag which was the undoing of American Skier. AS was the real deal. Those who will be honest will tell you they were a better slalom boat than CC during the 80s, and in fact, they were probably the best slalom boat period during that time period.

What happened was that in the late 80s, American Skier was sold to one of the big companies (I can't remember which one). They didn't do well and Ron Tanis bought the company back. He tried to make a go of it for several years, but AS just never returned to the prominence it enjoyed in the early 80s.

BTW - In the late 80s, Mastercraft was also sold to one of the big companies (I believe it was AMF). That too was a disaster. Like American Skier, MC was bought back by former executives of the company. MC faired better than AS in its comeback. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 1:23am
Brian: Sure is nice to have you and all your info back on this site. Please let us know before going away so we don't worry in the future.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Gee, I go away on vacation for a week and folks start coming out of the closet as American Skier owners.

Eddie, I would say the 400 boat per year is not a small production in the ski boat industry. Even today, probably only four companies produce more than 400 per year (CC, MC, Malibu, and Skier's Choice (combined Moomba and Supra lines).

Also, I would say it was not the 20K price tag which was the undoing of American Skier. AS was the real deal. Those who will be honest will tell you they were a better slalom boat than CC during the 80s, and in fact, they were probably the best slalom boat period during that time period.

What happened was that in the late 80s, American Skier was sold to one of the big companies (I can't remember which one). They didn't do well and Ron Tanis bought the company back. He tried to make a go of it for several years, but AS just never returned to the prominence it enjoyed in the early 80s.

BTW - In the late 80s, Mastercraft was also sold to one of the big companies (I believe it was AMF). That too was a disaster. Like American Skier, MC was bought back by former executives of the company. MC faired better than AS in its comeback. BKH

Thanks Brian. I was not aware of that. As usual, you continue to amaze me with your knowledge of these things.

Phospher;
Wetamb is correct about Midwest American Skier. I completely forgot them. They'll be able to help you find a rudder for your Skier. Good call Wetamb!!!!

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 8:52pm
BKH,

Your like a sudstitute teacher I had back in high school he knew 2000 useless facts for everyday of the year. Each day he would tell us something that happened on that in the past. Sometimes very meaningless other times they were major events. I am not trying to say yourt info useless any way. You just reminded me of him, you have alot of info to offer and to the right people that info is priceless, we are those people. Keep the info coming.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 9:01pm
No offense taken. I've said here many times, I have a mind for useless information. I had a calculus professor at UCLA who did the same thing. Best 5 minutes of the lecture each day. BKH
Livin' the Dream

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 1:33am
Hey folks, I made a typo when I re-read my post. My American Skier is a 1980 model. NOT an '82. And while the subject of pricing came up, I have the original invoice for mine...

Base price was $9,217.

Trailer was $896

Boat options (10) totaled $1,016

Trailer options (3) totaled $201.50

Total delivered price: $11,331.50

WHAT a BARGAIN!
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 10:31am
Are you guys saying;
BKH = Cliff Clavin?
Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 11:11am
You're killing me Lefty. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 1:58pm
Here's an ad for a local AM Skier in Mass.

19' AMERICAN SKIER, 1987
351 Ford (PCM), 265hp, 853 hrs, velvet drive IB. Great barefoot (wakeboard) boat. Runs gd. Incls trlr. End of summer special, $4999; (S. Easton) 508-238-1406
Busted Knuckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busted Knuckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 11:49pm
thanks to a couple of you for letting me in on the secret here @ CCFan, with a little Amskier chat going on ...........Amskiers are great boats and it has been my passion to keep them on the water.

I am glad to see the pics of some the sickest 18's I've seen in while keep them clean.

I also want to note the info in this string is close to 90% accurate a fee holes here and there , but pretty close.
the first models were 18' skiers and 18' lux ( luxury edition)that model was in the line up from the beginning 1975 through 1984. (first model year was 1976) and boat #00000001 is here in the midwest. the other Miami model was the volante (closed bow) and Barefoot Skier

these were 20' and had the platform built in the hull and deck mold , a very cool design but a little too tough to build. they were around from 82 to 84 with a few built as 85s b4 they moved.

The first year Advance was 1985 and was built in the Ocoee Fl plant (Orlando)through about 90ish then the volante came back as ground up new open bow model, and the big 24' Eagle
Both of which Ron was invloved with the developement. The Legend came out to "replace " the Advance as the flagship tourny boat. then in 94 aided by Lucky Lowe came the TBX

the 18' and the Advance are still very well known for there great slalom wake , and TBX just took it even further. It really is that good.

Ron started as a promo owner late 70's early 80's his first Amskier was Brown and cream, looked yummy... he opened Midwest American Skier soon after. He moved on to Fl 87-88ish, he worked as VP of MFG and what ever else Ken wanted him to do. They took different paths in the early 90's and mid 90 Ron bought the company back, he built the boats in Winsboro LA for acouple of years then moved the plant to Kentwood He sold out to Ben in 02ish
Ron built the TBX, the Volante, and the Lazer (Advance). always all hand built, Amskier in the Ken or Ron years never OWNED a CHOPPER GUN!

I resurrected the dealership south of Chicago in 96. I also have been gainfully employed by a World Leader in Security Electronics and still am today, Amskiers are my passion not my bread and butter. Today we run the web site, handle parts, and do select mobile service.
We handle what ever parts are available for Amskiers as well as all other Tourny style Inboards. We just started the registry on our site, so far it seems to be going ok.

www.midwestamericanskier.com is for the boat owners, several pics of the older girls

and www.footngear.com is for footers

if you guys need any help, give me a shout

midskier@hotmail.com
219-365-1466

thanks again

Dan Tanis

note: One boat I'm sure many of you have seen here was the teal 66 Mustang, I helped the last owner with the restoration of that beauty
she is one bad @$$ CC with 340HP under the hood!
Volante Barefoot Skier built by American Skier Boats -
www.footngear.com
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 12:21am
Now that we know there is a web site for American Skier,please move this thread and all others about these fine boats there.
I own a real American Skier built by Correct Craft, not Bob or Joe....
I live about 50 miles from the old plant. they took it over when Cajun Boats went belly up.Quanity not quality keeps you in business a short while, same for the next boat builder that took over the site. American Skier left a lot angry people in there dust when they closed shop...
Have endured this subject long enough, lets talk about Correct Crafts and real American Skiers,Tiques,Nautiques, Mustangs and fish wuth teeth..................
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 1:06am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Now that we know there is a web site for American Skier,please move this thread and all others about these fine boats there.
I own a real American Skier built by Correct Craft, not Bob or Joe....
I live about 50 miles from the old plant. they took it over when Cajun Boats went belly up.Quanity not quality keeps you in business a short while, same for the next boat builder that took over the site. American Skier left a lot angry people in there dust when they closed shop...
Have endured this subject long enough, lets talk about Correct Crafts and real American Skiers,Tiques,Nautiques, Mustangs and fish wuth teeth..................

Out of respect for some of our forum members who contribute quite a bit to the site but happen to own boats other than a Correct Craft I too have tolerated this thread but with a much different perspective. Learned a lot about what I've always thought to be a pretty good Classic ski boat. Thanks to all.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 1:18am
With the last name Tanis, I'm sure Dan provided the most accurate picture.

I get your point Doc, it is a CC site. However, I think it provides for some interesting information, and we have several members here who don't own CCs and contribute a lot (backfoot and gottaski come to mind). As long as these guys are respectful, and as long as they are willing to take some good natured ribbing I don't see much harm.

So, I guess I'm in Alan's camp on this one. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 2:23am
Thanks Dan...very interesting.

I gotta go with BKH and Alan. Of course my good friend and teacher, Backfoot, is an AMSkier owner and we do an awful lot of great footing behind that boat. anyhow..we have always tried to welcome all here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 2:33am
thanks Dan for the post and information.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 2:53am
I also go along with Alan,Brian and John . I have friends that have different boats that also have engine problems . I dirrect them to our sight because ther are a lot of fine people on this sight with a lot of valuable info about any kind of boat . The only problem that I see is that maybe it should have been in the off topic section .

But , Who really cares what section it is in . Because all of us are reading this posting anyway .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 11:06am
Doc, a lot of us are enthusiastic about all inboards. Old CCs just happen to be my favorite, but I like them all. It's hard to look at Backfoot's AS and not admire it as an outstanding example of a vintage ski boat. I've always liked them because I thought they looked like old CCs.

And it's pretty cool that someone like Busted Knuckle can join the discussion.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 11:21am
OK OK OK Wrong words , wrong timing wrong wrong wrong.....Live and let live.....Sorry to have pi**ed anyone off that was not my intention, just being over protective ......
Again my humble apologies for all offended...........billy
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 11:29am
I'm not offended doc. I just get excited about any boat with a DD drive and the engine in the middle. I own two Malibus which I seldon talk about, but as of last Saturday own a '67 Mustang. I can't say I like anyone better than the other. I like them all, and would like another. I think it's a sickness I have.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

OK OK OK Wrong words , wrong timing wrong wrong wrong.....Live and let live.....Sorry to have pi**ed anyone off that was not my intention, just being over protective ......
Again my humble apologies for all offended...........billy

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 2:09pm
So, what your saying is I shouldn't bring up the lower unit problem I'm having with my 90hp Johnson outboard on my 16' Larson Flyer?
OK, I won't
I too, learned alot about the differences in the CC American Skiers and the others, and learning is good.
Thanks,
Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 4:43pm
Doc, no blood, no foul.

That's one of the really cool things about this forum. Everybody appreciates classic boats no matter who makes 'em. I find it so nice that there aren't a bunch of primadonas here like you find on other sites. Their boat is the ONLY one that counts and they don't want to associate with or admit that there are others out there that can compare.

I have learned a ton from everybody here and like to think that I've been able to help some out too. I have attended engine rebuilding sessions with members here, enjoyed a CC owners reunion with members here and met new friends and ski partners through members here. The fact that I don't own a CC didn't prevent me from contributing and sharing in these experiences and I also know that they would not have been possible without experiencing this website. So, THANK YOU ALL for your putting up with us non-CC guys. I certainly appreciate it as I'm sure all the other non-CC guys do.

Doc, I have big shoulders so I don't have a problem with you being over-protective. I understand completely. I did the same thing with my daughters while they were growing up and they are much better off because of it. Their boyfriends are much better off because of it too!!! LOL!!!

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 7:50pm
I will take blame for starting a post in the wrong section... My fault, was just looking for an answer to a question I had. As parr for this site I got more then I asked for, and I love it.
Messer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Messer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2008 at 9:06pm
I too enjoyed the thread. While I have an AM, I have also owned three CC's and a MC.

Johnnie
1987 Ski Nautique
1981 Fish Nautique
1980 Fish Nautique
1979 Fish Nautique
1986 Master Craft
1984 American Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic