NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

thermostat question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thermostat question
    Posted: September-22-2007 at 7:39pm
OK, I finally have my water pump problem taken care of with the installation of a new crank mount pump. It pumps fine as proven with the "bucket method" Went out for first time today. Water temp kept cycling up and down between 160 and 200. Finally heated up to point that I couldn't run it any more.

Obviously a thermostat problem. Came home took it out and engine ran fine without heating up.

Couple questions:

Is thermostat necessary. Does an old engine without any computer controls necessarily need to warm up? Will the choke not work right?

If thermostat is necessary, did I just buy a wrong kind? Its a standard auto (160) t-stat that matches the one that came out. I bought this one a few weeks ago when I was trouble shooting my overheating problem, so it wasnt the original cause. Are marine ones different?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2007 at 7:48pm
Larry;

Inside too like me on a Saturday? Rain and thunder here is my excuse.

My son who is a mechanic (Chrysler and owned own shop) flipped out when I told him I was running the '80 with no thermostat. Said the motor definatly needed one. I bought one from SkiDim when I got some other stuff but have run auto ones before. Maybe you just got a bad one?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2007 at 8:14pm
Larry, Yes temp. regulation is needed. Try another T stat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 1:55am
Larry, you may need a cooler stat. On my 351w, a 160 stat keeps the motor around 180. It takes a 143 stat to keep the motor at 160.
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2007 at 1:09am
Tim - I installed what was supposed to be a 143 degree thermostat (from Skidim) in my boat on Friday, but the engine ran warm. Tested it on the stove with a thermometer and found out it was opening at 160, instead of 143. Where'd you buy your 143 degree thermostat? Thanks for any help. - Bert
1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2007 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by uncle-buck uncle-buck wrote:

Tim - I installed what was supposed to be a 143 degree thermostat (from Skidim) in my boat on Friday, but the engine ran warm. Tested it on the stove with a thermometer and found out it was opening at 160, instead of 143. Where'd you buy your 143 degree thermostat? Thanks for any help. - Bert

SkiDIM and White Lake both have them online. Call SkiDIM- they'll fix the order.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 1:55pm
The order was fine. The issue appears to be the thermostats themselves.

The PCM 143 degree t-stat from Skidim opens at 160 and a Sierra 140 degree t-stat I purchased locally opens at 155. Both were tested on a stovetop with a cooking thermometer and both seem to run the engine warmer than they should.

I've seen another post where someone said he tested several t-stats and only a couple of them opened at the advertised temperature.

In my case, the engine runs in an acceptable temperature range of 160 to 180. But when it gets to 180 after pulling a skier, an alarm goes off and it's very annoying. That didn't happen with the original t-stat when the boat was new.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by uncle-buck uncle-buck wrote:

The order was fine. The issue appears to be the thermostats themselves.

I understand that. SkiDIM will take the part back if its defective. It should open at 143 if its a 143 thermostat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 2:12pm
Yes, they offered to take it back, but it's not worth the time and shipping charges for such an inexpensive item. I'd just like to find one that opens at the advertised temperature. Thanks.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 2:49pm
Might not be fully thermostat related, some blockage in the exhaust manifolds or something of the like may be slowing your flow. However you can get at NAPA a high flow marine thermostat, that seems to tighten up the control for me a bit. Took a while looking at the marine catalogs to find it though, sorry now that I didnt write down the part number...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 2:51pm
I ordered my 140 marine stat thru the local napa..that way I could return it if needed.

btw...it started opening right at 140..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 8:33pm
Yeah, go to NAPA. Both of these 142 degrees came from there, the one on the right is the PCM version.
Tim D
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 12:02am
May start a riot here but here goes,I too have the crank driven RWPump and no circ. on my stroker. Also running a 140 thermo, temp stays at 130 till you work her then 140 on the nose.
For reasons that we will not disclose,I drilled a 3/16 hole on the flange of thermostat to drop some of the pressure.This in itself did not lower the pressure enough, used another method, this fix worked.
Bypass from the block to the manifolds,after this fix I removed the modified thermostat,3/16 hole in the flange,and replaced with new 140 w/ no mods...
Instant warm up but excessive needle swing,180 to 140 and back up.Reinstalled old modified thermostat and all is well.Takes a little longer to come up to temp,130 but the needle stays rock solid........
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 12:30am
I put a weep hole in mine. I didn't like the fluctuation from 140 to about 155, now it stays at 140.
Tim D
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 1:21pm
140 seems a bit cool. Shouldn't they run around 160 once warmed up? My 86 runs at 160 or 180 after a ski set.

Larry- Run the boat without a stat for a few times to see what happens.

Does your cooling system plumbing include a re-circulation hose from the t-stat housing down to the raw water intake? If so, try blocking that off. Had to do that with my 65- solved my overheating issues.

-Brad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2007 at 2:27pm
Tim, where'd you put the weep hole and how big is it? Also, which one of the two in your photo stays right at 140?

I've got both the Sierra and PCM versions and would love to duplicate your results. Thanks.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2007 at 9:16pm
I have the one on the left in now. The weep hole is on the flat part near the raised circle edge.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2007 at 9:31pm
Thanks. How big a hole did you drill?
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2007 at 10:07pm
I think it's an 1/8". I'm glad I did it, 'cause it did away with the temp fluctuation.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2007 at 10:19pm
Thanks, Tim. I'm thinking the elbows on the exhaust manifolds may have gotten corroded or clogged on the inside. The boat is 18 years old and the exhaust system has never been serviced. So, I'm going to do that next week.

If that doesn't solve the issue, I'll drill a weep hole in the t-stat like you did and go from there.

Thanks again for your advice.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

140 seems a bit cool. Shouldn't they run around 160 once warmed up? My 86 runs at 160 or 180 after a ski set.

Larry- Run the boat without a stat for a few times to see what happens.

Does your cooling system plumbing include a re-circulation hose from the t-stat housing down to the raw water intake? If so, try blocking that off. Had to do that with my 65- solved my overheating issues.

-Brad

Brad,

I'm still having cooling issues. Went out this weekend with old t-state back in after new one fluctuated between 140 and 190 eventually overheating. Old one did same thing. Next time out I am going to take out t-stat and see what happens. I may also try the weep hole idea. Are you suggesting blocking the large hose from the fitting atop the engine to the circ pump? Isn't that a fairly drastic change from design? Doesnt the circ pump perform some function? Why is it there if not, although I know Boat Dr removed his.

What is with the weep hole idea? Obviously not how these things are designed, why does that help and why should we have to do it?

Another question for everyone? Why would cooling system in its current configuratoin for years be fine and now not be working. Well, its not really in existing configuration as I replaced my original OMC RWP with a new crank mount. Plenty of water moving through it, as external components are staying cool. Just appears to be a t-stat issue now.

I'm completely flumuxed now and anxious to get it right before snow falls so I can just pull it out and go in the spring.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Are you suggesting blocking the large hose from the fitting atop the engine to the circ pump? Isn't that a fairly drastic change from design? Doesnt the circ pump perform some function? Why is it there if not, although I know Boat Dr removed his.

I dont think you want to do that. Im not familiar with the way Chevies are cooled, but that doesnt appear to be very different than the PCM Ford routing. That works like this:

What does confuse me is your 2nd thermostat. I cant picture where it is or how it functions in the cooling system. Got any better pics?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 12:36pm
Tim, No better pics, but here is a diagram. It appears to pretty much mimic your diagram. What I believe is a second t-stat is integrated into the housing and like I said is not accessible. It appears to regulate flow to the manifolds although it appears to always be open. I can blow through it when its off the boat and water always pours out the back as soon as water is turned on.

When I was out fiddling with it friday, temp kept fluctuating. I took it easy so as to not let it get too hot. But, like last time I was out, after several up and down cycles, the engine would start running poorly at low speed, stall, back fire, not idle, start hard.... After I try the next two to three things (no t-stat, t-stat with hole and original spec'd t-stat (on order, due friday instead of the auto parts store standared 160 t-stat which it has always had and which I recently got a new one of) I may try to talk you into a trip down to sunny and beautiful Cape Cod to help me unravel this mess. I'm at the end of my somewhat less than vast knowledge of such things and must now call on a Grand Poobah to help me out.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

After I try the next two to three things (no t-stat, t-stat with hole and original spec'd t-stat (on order, due friday instead of the auto parts store standared 160 t-stat which it has always had and which I recently got a new one of) I may try to talk you into a trip down to sunny and beautiful Cape Cod to help me unravel this mess. I'm at the end of my somewhat less than vast knowledge of such things and must now call on a Grand Poobah to help me out.

Larry, I think thats a good plan of attack. Im curious to hear your results. Im not sure how much help I would be beyond what Ive mentioned- so hopefully someone here will know some tricks. An afternoon on the Cape sounds like fun to me, though!
saffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 1:36am
Are you guys talking degrees celcius or fahrenheit?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 1:45am
Originally posted by saffer saffer wrote:

Are you guys talking degrees celcius or fahrenheit?

F. degrees
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic