NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody surfs???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody surfs???
    Posted: October-10-2007 at 4:33pm
A few weeks ago I tried some surfing on my 80' SN and really enjoyed it though I couldn't ride ropeless.

I want to get a board for next month when the season starts here in Argentina, anybody surfs here with an 80'?? any tips?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2007 at 5:02pm
I've never surfed behind one of the older smaller boats. Just wanted to say I checked out your photos, and that's a great looking boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 10:13am
We've done a bit behind my 2001. We've used an old 6' baord with two fins cut off, or a cheap plywood skim board. Neither is ideal, but good fun to be had on both.

If you look at wakeworld, they are loading boats up with massive weight, I've found it's more important to get the speed and weight distribution right. I would think that would be even more true for the pre 2001 hull since I think the wake is smaller than the 2001.

Experiment, people in the boat are good because you can move them around easily to tweak it.

The problem with older nautiques is the wake is better on the goofy side, good for wakeboarding because that's regular heelside, as I guess a result of the prop rotation.
Easily Parted From Money
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 7:08pm
we surf behind my 2001 and have pretty good success. A bigger board helps. Weight placement should be all on the starboard rear with a little next to the motor. We usually take the rear seat out to fit two bigger bags. We ride about 9-10mph.
2001 SAN
"Python Powered"
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2007 at 8:12pm
We surf behind my 86.

We all ride regular.
540lbs ballast on the port side
400lbs ballast in the rear
subwoofer, spair battery, and 60lbs of free weights all on the left side
Then we have 2 people sitting on the 540lb fat sac, then 1 or 2 people sitting in the back on the left side of the boat. Then one or 2 people in the passenger seat as far left as possible.

This is what we end up with.

We are riding a yellow loogy by inland surfer.

"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2007 at 8:16pm
a few more

"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Sell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 7:47pm
We spend most of our time surfing in my 1980 SN. We cannot get a rideable wave on the port side, but can get a pretty good one on the starboard.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 11:08pm
Sell, what board and weight configuration are you using?
Sell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2007 at 12:33am
Board is a HL Broadcast 5'6"
Weight - 1 x 250Kg bag behind engine cover, 1 x 100Kg long bag - snaked on starboard side and behind engine cover - 70Kg in lead on starboard side & 70Kg lead in front of engine cover.
Driver & 1 passenger in observer seat.
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 12:42am
I am 240 and tried for a year with the broadcast and direct drive. I bought a Inland Surfer Red Tide and found it work with a much smaller wake. After using the Red Tide it was hard to go back to any other board. Then I bought a SV 211 and surfing is much more enjoyable. Skiing is still OK.
rgadala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgadala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2008 at 2:39pm
Sell: how do you get such well shaped wave on your boat. I own a 2008 211 crossover team edition with 3 ballast and have surfed with 6 people on the boat... never seen a mini tunnel on my wave...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2008 at 4:07pm
There is a lot of great info on surfing at themalibucrew.com

Surfing looks fun and not nearly as serious as slalom.

http://www.wakeoutlaws.com/media/loc/icomefromtexaswater.wmv
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 9:33pm
Cool video . I was thinking they obviously dont have any conservation officers . {water police}
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 12:51am
Hi-ya Luciano....hope you are busy at the resturant and doing good.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 3:37pm
I believe that video was shot in Texas on a river. There's a group from down there on themalibucrew.com that's really into surfing. There are some great videos. These guys really weight their boats down and have harnesses that a large person can get into and hang off the tower.
Sell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 4:05am
Originally posted by rgadala rgadala wrote:

Sell: how do you get such well shaped wave on your boat. I own a 2008 211 crossover team edition with 3 ballast and have surfed with 6 people on the boat... never seen a mini tunnel on my wave...

Hey Mate - we just messed with the weight for ages until we had it right. The surfable pocket is not overly long (I think it is due to the boat only being 18' long) but it has plenty of power. I think I moght of been a bit light on my weight estimates too - I have another 125Kg in lead which is run at the stern.
82ski2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82ski2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 1:18am
my 2001 gets that little barrel, im goofy foot so its perfect for me, we just have driver and 3 people in the back corner, no added wieght and i can ride ropeless
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 6:00am
Sell,

Since you're using Kg's (that I don't have to convert every time... ) Where are you from?
Somewhere in Europe maybe...?

Kristof

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

wakesurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 1:36am

Hey Surfer! I grew up surfing behind a boat, and still love the endless wave.

I have a quick question regarding reducing the exhast from the boat: Has anyone made any homemade remedies that reduce the exhast in the wave zone. The ones on the internet our 400 bucks. Whats the remedy?

jamie

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2008 at 11:55pm
Beware...

I have seen a couple of 2001's that were weighed down for a couple years of boarding and the floor separated from the hull.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2008 at 11:57am
BHP, you know i always have a story, i was building a 398 catepillar for a dredge company and the dredge was a couple miles away from the dock, i needed to get the parts out there and decided to load up thier 14ft aluminum john boat, we had 8 powerpacks at 98lbs each, 4 heads at 200 lbs each, 2 turbos probably 100 each, various other parts and a total of 5 guys because of the shift change, halfway out we hit a 2ft wave and i screamed were going down and he backed off the throttle and we popped back out of the wave. it was about 20k worth of parts, we had vests on that are required. we got to the dredge and the foreman on the job just shook his head
"the things you own will start to own you"
wakesurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2008 at 12:21pm

Any other companies making anything like the Fresh air exhaust... any home made out there?

Ohh, I would just put in a new floor, as surfing is worth it.

jsmith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 11:55pm
Wakesurfer, Hi I'm new to site and just bought my frist boat today as well. 1982 ski nautique 2001. As for your ques. IMO Fresh air exhaust is the way to go. yeah its a little expense but well worth it. I've been surfing behind a friend's 21v Tige' for a coulpe of years and it makes all the difference. Before fresh air, I'd have a headache by the time we went in, after no headache. It's on my list of must haves for my boat now that I have one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic