Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thunderbolt Ignition

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thunderbolt Ignition
    Posted: October-22-2007 at 7:30am
Any know anything about this?

Wierd thing yesterday, put the boat and it was really struggling to start, normally it goes easily from stone cold.

Plenty of fuel so suspected sparks (rotor, cap, leads and coil all new this year and timing set with light about a month ago)pulled a lead and sure enough a puny yellow spark. Was limited what I could do at the lake, but gave everything a good wipe down and a spray of WD40.

Eventually it started but only on about four, raggy idle, popping and banging back through the carb, wouldn't rev at all. Left it ticking over a bit to see if it smoothed out, it didn't.

Decided I'd pull the leads to narrow down which ones were missing. Picked a lead at random and pulled it, instantly smoother, put it back on and it ran like a champ for the rest of the day - WTF?

It was like the ingnition was confused about the crank/dist postion and was firing the wrong cylinder and pulling the lead put it back on the right track. Is that possible? I wouldn't have thought the system was complex enough to get "confused".

That was my last day of the season, so I'll have to see if it'll go when I bring it home to winterise.
Easily Parted From Money
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 2:13pm
Tom, what model engine is in your boat? Better yet, what version of the Thunderbolt ignition do you have?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 7:02am
It's 5.7 bluewater 260hp.

I think it's a thunderbolt v setup, but it may be iv vi. Probably should have looked at that!

One thing I forgot to mention was that the dizzy was sort of ticking with the ingnition on - sounded a bit like a fuel pump and the tacho needle was pinging about all over.
Easily Parted From Money
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 7:05pm
Sounds like you have a ground issue somewhere.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 1:14am
sounds like a crossed spark plug wire
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 7:24am
79, I'd agree, if I'd taken them off, but they haven't moved all season and I only took them off on Sunday one at a time and the cap is numbered for for st and rev rotation. It was like having the leads badly mixed up. Weekend will tell, see what happens when I winterise!

I do think the starter is drawing too much, so I'll look into getting that rebuilt over the winter. I've already been through all the wiring before discovering a duff NSS, so I'm pretty sure it's not a wiring issue.
Easily Parted From Money
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 7:04pm
I have seen this very same symptom with a GM distributor. I'm not sure if GM supplys the Thunderbolt distributor but I think they do. It turned out to be the pickup module inside the distributor.    
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 7:23pm
Weird. It sounds as though soemthing in the electronics is shooting the spark all over the place. If everything else looks good and you're sure all of the electrical connections associated with the ignition are clean and tight, I would say it could be something like Nutty says. Verify that the cap isn't cracked, but that wouldn't explain it running great after you pulled a plug wire and put it back on.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 9:07pm
Hi - Years ago I had a Ford Small Block (Sunbeam Tiger)& had a similar miss.

A drag racer friend knew exactly what the problem was - cross firing.

On those motors, if certain plug wires crossed closely, the spark would jump to the wrong cylinder.

I re-routed the offending wires & it cleared up.

Could be a possible cause on your boat.

Chris
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 7:37am
My feeling is that it is either a simple cross firing issue, but I can't see why pulling one lead and replacing it would solve that, or a cross firing issue caused by a problem with the hall sensor that triggers the spark. I suspect the latter as only "electronic" problems are fixed by stupid things like pulling leads - I guess it;s the equiqalent of hitting the TV to make it work.
Easily Parted From Money
mjess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2008 at 11:27pm
Tomski How long has it been sence you changed the cap & wires?
ski naut
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 9:56am
They were changed at the end of last season, so only a year old and done between 40 and 50 hours when the problem occurred.

It went first time when I winterised, but I have new set of plugs, leads and a new cap to go on in the spring.
Easily Parted From Money
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 11:20am
Well this one rears its head again!

Ran fine when I fired it up after the winter with new leads, plugs, cap and rotor. Came to it yesterday and the same problem back again.

I'm just waiting for a call to discuss with an engineer whether the hall sensor is the likely problem.

I assume T/bolt works like most such systems in that the hall sensor generates a pulse and the unit botled to the riser is an amplifier that ups the pulse to a level suitable to trigger the coil.

Could it be the coil? I doubt it is, since it's not lacking sparks, in fact it's got too many!

Any advice welcome.

On balance I think Nutty probably had it right, seems the most logical problem.
Easily Parted From Money
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 11:35am
I've always had sh|tty luck with wd40 inside dist caps, seams to promote crossfiring.

I suggest brake cleaner of contact cleaner.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 11:39am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I've always had sh|tty luck with wd40 inside dist caps, seams to promote crossfiring.

I suggest brake cleaner of contact cleaner.

I suggest don't spray anything in it. If it has carbon tracks or if the terminals have crap on them.....then replace the damn cap because it's shot.... spraying this and that is bull shade tree crap and is only going to cause more trouble so replace it with a new quailty cap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic