NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A.I.S.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A.I.S.
    Posted: October-25-2007 at 8:49am
I'm curious about other parts of the country having problems with aquatic invasive species. In northern Wisconsin where I do most of my boating, it (milfoil) is showing up but in small patches that with early detection seems to be under control with treatment. So far it is only on the lower side of the Dam from our chain of lakes. We also have volunteers as well as some paid people manning the boat landings (and the boat lift over the dam) checking for weeds on trailers and boats both going in the water and coming out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 11:36am
We spent a few years with special stickers, steam cleaning, clorox in the bilge, etc back in the early-mid nineties trying to keep zebra muscles which had come over in ballast water from asia from getting onto our land locked lake after they had already infested all the channel connected lakes around us. It didn't work well.
     I found my first little muscles on an anchor chain I pulled out at the end of the summer of 96. By spring 2000 they covered pretty much everything solid on the lake bottom, rocks, anchors, chains, intake pipes, etc. The lake is still changing dramatically every year at this point. First it became much clearer, then the extra light brought more seaweed, then the first generations of zebra muscles started dying off and leaving behind shells which got crushed up and took away some of the hard surfaces for the next generations. Over the same time we have had warmer summers and later falls, as well as some upstream phosphorus control issues.

Its crazy to see a lake ecosystem change that radically in a decade.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 11:53am
dip your hand in lake Erie, your bound to come up with a mussle on it, one advantage is they are small filters and have really cleaned the lake up, but those are the nutrients the other fish feed off of, you can actually see 20 or 30 feet down now.
These are the end result of being attached to frieghters and cargo ships from Europe,
"the things you own will start to own you"
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 12:15pm
CA has a campaign to stop infestation of Malaga (sp?) muscles. Believed to have come from boats brought into our state, and previously used in the great lakes. BKH
Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 12:29pm
Pete, I 've been to a few lakes that are so full of weeds I would literally need a pressure washer to get them all off the trailer. It's just about impossible. I usually drag em home and blast them off in the driveway.

How about invasive species of fish. On the Illinois south of where I boat they catch 1000's of lbs of Asian big Head Carp everyday. They've actually found some commercial use for these things. They escaped from a Mississippi fish farm during a flood and found their way into the Miss. and eventually up to the Illinois. Electric Fish nets have been installed to try to stop them before they get into Lake Michigan but it only a matter of time.

There are so many of these things that they get scared by prop noise and jump right into boats. You've probably seen this on America Funniest Home Videos, most of those happen on the Illinois near Peoria but we'll be swimming with them soon in our area and they'll destroy everything in their path
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 12:30pm
Pete, you can drink out of those lakes up there! I've always thought even the southern Wisconsin lakes were pretty clean, but the locals disagree. There is a sign at the launch about muscles, never paid any attention to it though. We get a few on the dock posts and lift but nothing major.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 12:39pm
All the water from the North ends up here,along with all the other "STUFF" that you guy's are willing to share .
Your freezing winters have slowed down the process somewhat but "change is a comin'" Our lakes have drasticly changed also, the carp, mussels and severals types of grasses and weeds not native to Louisiana have taken a toll on the native fish and other wildlife.
The Asian carp population now about match the number of Vietnamese fishermen we have in the south. Go figure that one..........
I will take the Zebra Mussels over the Gooks any day....But that is my own opinion, and need not be spread about here........
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

All the water from the North ends up here,along with all the other "STUFF" that you guy's are willing to share .

All the other "stuff" must be coming from the PLBC groups beer drinking!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 3:06pm
BD, just remember s--t rolls down hills too.
gooks? lets be a little more politically correct...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 3:20pm
We've got Eurasion Milfoil that's moving in. You got to buy a sticker for inland lakes. $10 for residents. $20 for out of staters. If your towing your boat and there's a weed hanging from the trailer, you can get a ticket.

We have a big issue with illegally stocked species of fish. Pristine ponds and brooks with native trout are being stocked with bass, and other lakes have been stocked with pike. Sebago Lake, home the the landlocked salmon, has been stocked with pike which has taken hold. Only time will tell how this will affect the salmon which is struggling to compete with lake trout which were stocked by DIFW 40 years ago.

Boat dr, are you near Lafayette?
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 3:25pm
Pete- Most of the lakes around us in NE battle Milfoil.
We've tried everything, including drying and smoking the weed
If you're lucky you'll get permission to use herbacide to knock out any invasive non native weeds before they become a major issue.
The State of Maine is very strict about clean trailers- a very good practice.

There's an organization called NALMS- that you may want to check out.

-Brad
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 3:44pm
Eric, very sensitive on this subject....
They them F***IN GOOKS have destroyed a culture in south La.They know nor respect size or catch limits,they are considered refugees and are not made to abide by the same rules and regulations that the rest of the fishermen do.
When a fisherman or shrimper cannot pay the mortgage on his or her boat,High fuel cost ,low catches, HURRICANES the Feds step in buy the boat and resell to a regugee.Kinda of payback for the war in their country,B**lSH*T.....
Do not set this old man off as to what is Polictly Correct..................This makes my blood boil Eric,THIS AIN'T Funny
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 4:15pm
Milfoil is also a problem on our lake (220 acres), it has been there as long as I have, about 10yrs, generally I believe the milfoil is a greater threat in clear water, our lake association has a treatment program to control the weeds, treatments around 3-4 times a season. The milfoil is a strange weed, the intensity can vary quite a bit from year to year without any real pattern, longer freezes seem to have no effect. Neighboring lake assoc. tried using what I believe were called "weevils", a bug that consumes or controls the weed, they cost around $1 each, will reproduce and grow or also may be consumed by the fish and not take, in their case it was about a $20k failure.

Regarding the Asian Carp Alan mentioned, read an article earlier this year about guides or services who take you out to bow hunt the carp as they jump.

The Zebra muscles are all over around here as well, do not believe they are in our lake yet.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 7:00pm
No Zebra mussels in our lake yet, but I would guess 70% of the lakes in SE MI have a zebra mussel problem. We do shows in lakes in the area and if we don't wear water shoes (very stylish), we end up with sliced up feet. Feels great on the barefoot runs. I have seen Zebra mussel larvae in sprinkler heads at my folks house. Almost plugged the screen on the intake.
Milfoil is also a big problem in our area. Almost impossible to run the AirChair after the first of July.
But no gook problem.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 7:06pm
Yeah we have zebra mussels too, but they stay on the bottom of the lake. As we have had no problems footing. I make sure I pull the drain plug at the lake. No sea weed to speak of though.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 7:43pm
Didn't mean to imply that we wear water shoes while footing. It's when we are setting up our shows that we are walking on the lake bottom and stepping on those little bastards. They cut like razors.
No weed problem on Ford Lake? Lucky
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 9:50pm
I thought that's what you ment Tull, but I wasn't sure. No, no weed problem on ford lake. I am sure there are weeds at the bottom, but most of the lake is 20-30 feet deep with a clay bottom.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 11:20pm
BD, my wife is Japanese
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 12:01am
Aquatic invasives are very interesting. We have them in our lake (~375 acres), both milfoil and zebra mussels. Like Quinner said our milfoil seems to change from year to year, and the lake associate devotes almost their entire annual budget to treating it during the summer. The mussels were really bad when my parents bought their place six years ago, covering anything that was hard and big enough for them to hold on to. Today they are still around, but not nearly as big a problem.

This past summer I worked as a field tech in N.WI for a group of Ph.D. students studying AIS; rusty crayfish and mystery snails. The crayfish are particularly nasty up there. We also had to survey a bunch of lakes and there were more than a few that the weeds made it almost impossible to get our outboard-powered jonboat around the lake. WI is also suffering from a VHS (Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia), a fish disease and we not only had to make sure no invasive specise clung to our boats and trailers but by the end of the summer we had to wash the boats and all of our gear in bleach too.

What seems most interesting to me is that some of invaders are simply non-native to that part of the country. I have read about northern pike, which we love around here (SW MI), being just hated where they have been introduced in CA. Similarly all of the invasive crayfish in the country are from this country, they just invade areas the haven't been before i.e. rusty crayfish from Ohio river basin to WI/MN, virile crayfish from midwest to west, etc.

Sorry for the long post, and BTW have any of your WI guys seen the Plum Lake Skiters before?
"The only prudence in fishermen is that designed to set the stage for taking yet another, and perhaps a longer, chance." -Aldo Leopold
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 1:51am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

They them F***IN GOOKS have destroyed a culture in south La.

LAME. Boo, hiss- I thought this was a group of educated, intelligent individuals. Take the racism elsewhere.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 2:05am
I agree with M3 that this forum is not an appropriate place for racism. BKH
Livin' the Dream

69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 2:52am
Snakeheads in the Potomac, not good.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 7:34am
Jamin, Tell me more about the snails. In recent years I've noticed more of them on one of the lakes I'm on (northern Wisconsin). they are anywhere from a nickle to a silver dollar is size.

We did have a issue with the rusty crayfish but that was maybe 20 years ago and they have pretty much gone away. They were even trapping them at one time and shipping them south for cajun cooking.

No zebras yet but they seem to come in from larger lakes in the bilges of larger boats. It's unusual to see a boat longer than 24' on our chain.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 11:41am
Boat doc, I was kidding about the wife being a Jap, it is like the piano story where the kid has no fingers
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 12:26pm
To whom it may concern;
Seems I have stuck my foot in my mouth again,and to those I offended , I sincerely apologize.I first stated this was a touchy subject with me, and should have kept my Red Neck opinion close by............
This forum should not be used by me nor anyone else for the spread of anything but Positive info and the love of these boats and motors.Again please accept my apologies.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 12:26pm
Pete,

Well the gist of the snails is that they are not very well known. The banded mystery snail, which is banded like you might expect, I think has been in WI for a long time. The Chinese mystery snail is relatively new. Just how they affect lakes, or even if there is an effect, is a mystery. They do seem to prefer certain areas of lakes, as you will find large amounts of them in some areas, and others in none all in the same lake. The large ones can make good eating if you are willing, though you should probably collect them a few days ahead of time to let them pass the sand in their gut.

The rustys are interesting too, and the work that is beind done on them is trying to figure out what allows some lakes to handle them and some lakes to not. The biggest effect they have is on the aquatic veg, since they cut it off at the lake bottom and just eat the stump. The big rustys can make for good eating too, especially on the grill, and as bait of course too. We would occaisionally run across commercial trappers that sold them for food locally, but mostly to Chicago for bait.

What lakes do you frequent? I was in the Boulder Junction/Land O' Lakes area. The worst part of the job was being on the water without a ski! Once I saw a really nice mustang on the Manitowish Chain.
"The only prudence in fishermen is that designed to set the stage for taking yet another, and perhaps a longer, chance." -Aldo Leopold
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 12:58pm
Jamin, I'm on the Three Lakes or upper side (southern 20 lakes) of the 28 lake Eagle River / Three Lakes chain. I have lake front footage on two of the lakes and only one has the snails so it was interesting to hear your comment. They really aren't what I would call a problem but have just noticed more shells in recent years. Who were the PH.D students doing the study for? Next summer, bring your ski!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 1:15pm
Pete, if only I had known! I doubt I will make it back up there to work, but perhaps to visit so if that happens I will make a point to track you down. I was real close to bringing my ski and trying to find someone to give me a pull, but I hadn't worked with them before nor had I been to that part of WI and I didn't really know what to expect. The closest I came to Eagle River was a brief survey of Lake of the Hills just north of ER and on the east side of 45. I would have to agree and say that for humans at least, the snails don't really cause any problems. I was working with students from Notre Dame, and there were also some UW-Madison folks I hung around with.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 8:14pm
taking out my dock last week and noticed several zebra mussels in our lake
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 5:09pm
We got zebra muscles a few years back. They are kind of bad but they are getting better I think. There arent enough on the bottom to cut you up at the sand bars and when I pulled the lift up out of the water this fall(water to low to put the nautique on so we stored the pontoon there during the week) there were only about 10 or so small ones clinging to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic