Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

transmission seal leaks

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
joel41867 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joel41867 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transmission seal leaks
    Posted: October-30-2007 at 4:05pm
We own a 1993 SN   My trans (PCM 1.23) has a small leak so I pulled it out yesterday (using the bottle jack method) and found that the front seal on the input shaft had popped out. Not all the way just cock-eyed enough to let it leak. What caused this? Also the input shaft has some play, maybe .015 or .020". Is that normal? Trans works great just leaks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 6:34pm
Joel, I know Eric will come in and have some comments but he must be out working on a trans. I just did a search and entered "seal pushed out" and came up with lots of reading!! Here's one of Eric's posts:

eric lavine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Posted: 23 April 2007 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | Report Post      Quote eric lavine
you may have a front seal going if it is leaking that quick, if i cant spot a leak i will die test them and use a black light, chances are if you cannot isolate the leak you will have to remove the trans, if you do and you find the seal pushed out of the front pump it is a good indication that the pump is failed. What happens in this case is the pump gets excessive clearance inside of the pumps housing and creates pressure and pushes the seal out, normally when they leak that quick it is usually the pump. the trans is 22 years old and may be due for a going through

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 9:19pm
there really is no pressure on these seals until you get excessive clearance from wear inside the pump housing and then the pressure from within the housing will push on the seal, why it cocked as in your case, i have no answer,usually the pressure will push evenly.
inspect the pump carefully when you remove.
Have you noticed anything different in the transmssions performance lately? and yes endplay is essential in any transmission and the.015 to .020 you are seeing is normal.
"the things you own will start to own you"
joel41867 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joel41867 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Have you noticed anything different in the transmssions performance lately? and yes endplay is essential in any transmission and the.015 to .020 you are seeing is normal.

Thanks for the help!
Have not had any trouble with it and haven't noticed any performance issues. We haven't had the boat that long though (about two years). The leak just started late this season.
The play in the shaft is not endplay but side to side. The endplay is only about .010.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 9:27am
side to side is not good, are you taking it apart?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 9:32am
Joel, I think you should ship the trans to Eric. While it's out, don't forget to put in a new dampener plate.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
joel41867 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joel41867 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 10:39am

side to side is not good, are you taking it apart?

Looks like I am now. I have time to do it this afternoon.
A new damper plate sounds like a good idea. I 'm beginnig to think a bad damper plate is the cause of all this.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 11:16am
chances are the damper is the culprit, to much time and energy not to put a new damper in,
a mis-aligned damper or failed damper will cause the front bearing to walk.
I recently had a customer who sent his trans in with the front bearing pushed into the pump, i rebuilt it, it came back with the same damage, being the nice guy i warrantied it and advised him to change the damper and wouldnt you know he did not change it for the third time and the trans did the same exact thing the third time. sorry for the ramble but it goes to show you the damper is a vital part of the driveline as is oil to an engine
joel41867 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joel41867 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 5:27pm
OK I got it apart. Looks like the pump and cover are shot. The pump parts under the front cover spun in the housing. The cover is worn. The case is fine. Shows no sign of wear anywhere else but I was thinking I should replace the roller bearing in the case at the rear of the input shaft as well as the input shaft thrust bearing. What do you think?
So I need: cover, pump, seal, damper plate and bearings. Anything else I should change in there before I put it back together? I was able to save the gasket. Looks like the tranny was apart before but I don't know when.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 7:17pm
Price the stuff out thru PCM,
when you call make sure you have a diaper on cause your gonna s--t. with what you need it may be cheaper to buy new. there is one on E-bay that ends in a day or so, I do have the parts from spare trannies,just a note, i'll rebuild it cheaper than what you can buy those parts for including my parts with a one year warranty
call me tommorow if you want. Eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joel, I think you should ship the trans to Eric.

Joel???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 7:26pm
COOLER, that metal went somewhere and it is close to impossible to get it out of the cooler
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 10:08pm

COOLER, that metal went somewhere and it is close to impossible to get it out of the cooler

I didn't think about that. I just replaced it because the rest was new or just back from you!

It's a little scary that I debated the expense now?!!?
lol

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic