NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting Craigs List finds

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 8586878889 442>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 4:08pm
Just my 2 cents...

The engine cover in that Skylark looks smaller than usual (most Ive seen have the V8 box over the V6), similar to some of the inline 6cyl boxes. It may need to be lengthened or widened, requiring you to split it and then re-glass and re-gel. Building a wood box and getting it upholstered might be more straightforward. It would be more original looking too, as some Mustangs came with wood boxes in '68- especially the Chrysler powered boats.

My guess is that you probably have a windshield from a '80-81 Ski Nautique on your boat... but pictures would confirm that. The '89 would be wider and probably wouldnt fit a little Mustang. Ive seen a few of the flat glass windshields on the early boats, and I dont care for the look either, really. Like this one:

That windshield would probably be worth something to someone else here. It would be worth even more if you have the vent windows and all the associated hardware.

What trailer do you have now? If its an original CC trailer, I would be surprised if it wasnt worth saving. Ive seen some VERY rough trailers that came back very nicely.

That Skylark is a little rough around the edges, but Ive seen some that were worse that came back to life! If the gel isnt too bad and most of the original parts are there (which seems to be the case) its a great candidate for restoration.

If you post some pictures of your boat, that might be helpful in understanding where youre starting from.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 5:21pm
That's the exact window that i have currently, and i have the side windows as well, but i think some of the hardware is missing( knob screwnuts and bolts).

Boat is totally in pieces right now, i took it apart and sanded down the top of the boat(everything is off of it,but the steering wheel and engine, which was totally rebuilt in 2006 with only 6hrs on it). Going repaint the top to a white color(to almost look like the 1968 mustang in the catolog on this website). it was red orginally, but faded to a burnt orange. Hence the previous owner naming it "da punkin" which has to go. The gel coat isn't in the best shape, but i imagine that is something i'll have redone when i get the money.

The trailer i have is i think from another boat, it's rusty and really beat up, actually have a newer one i'm going to get for it. It was used on a 96' 16 foot sunbird runabout, but the problem is the trailer is 720 miles away at my lake house. Hope this rusty pos can get the boat up there....

Honestly I don't have much experience in redoing a boat. So i'll definitely post pictures of the thing on here probably around May when I have time to get to it. Currently I bought a brand new gas tank and marine carpet.

I have the orginal engine box, but hoping to make something smaller along with the orginal back seat. The front seats aren't orginal, but aren't bad either. I i might just buy new bucket seats, we'll see.

I really appreciate your replys, I'm currently aksi at a loss as to how to rewire the guy, i want to add some interior lighting to the boat and also a heater core, since it will be used in wisconsin.

Anyways i was wondering if you think you could link me to a 68 wiring diagram? I know this isn't the place to ask, but i haven't had much luck otherwise.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 5:39pm
My suggestion would be to start posting pictures before you get too far along. It sounds like the boat needs a lot of attention, so it wouldnt be much more work to bring it back closer to original condition than it would be to just make it functional again. It all depends on your goals- but its always nice to see an older Correct Craft restored properly. Definitely think twice about painting- it wont hold up as well as gel. You'd be surprised at the results a little bit of elbow grease can get (wetsanding/buffing). Its also quite possible that the boat was actually orange- Ive seen a handful of dark orange boats from the late 60's and they really look tremendous when theyre all shined up... like this one:

Most late 60's Mustangs seem to have had the cream colored top deck, not white, btw.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

I really appreciate your replys, I'm currently aksi at a loss as to how to rewire the guy, i want to add some interior lighting to the boat and also a heater core, since it will be used in wisconsin.

Peter,
Driving at night in Wisconsin? I've never needed lights and heat in any of my boats!!!

Like Tim mentioned, get us some pictures so we can take a look at the project.

Wiring we can help out. It's pretty basic and almost any early wiring diagram will do. Take a look in our reference section under manuals at the early PCM manual. It will have the engine and gauge wiring. From there it's just a few accessories and nav lights.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

My suggestion would be to start posting pictures before you get too far along. It sounds like the boat needs a lot of attention, so it wouldnt be much more work to bring it back closer to original condition than it would be to just make it functional again. It all depends on your goals- but its always nice to see an older Correct Craft restored properly. Definitely think twice about painting- it wont hold up as well as gel. You'd be surprised at the results a little bit of elbow grease can get (wetsanding/buffing). Its also quite possible that the boat was actually orange- Ive seen a handful of dark orange boats from the late 60's and they really look tremendous when theyre all shined up... like this one:

Most late 60's Mustangs seem to have had the cream colored top deck, not white, btw.

That's my boat dead on, except she was in a lot worse shape when i get her. Also the interior is grey with a blue detailed center. Along with the engine cover. I was planning on having that redone anyways.

Would love it to look like that one day.

I'm almost embarrased to post pictures of it in the condition it's in right now, but if you guys can help me in anyway i definitely will get to it.

Also I was going to just paint the top and gel coat the bottom.....would that be incorrect?

I also am going to move the gas tank fill up to the center of the boat, and us the amount gauge hole. And iwas going to wire up a fuel tank monitor up to the front. Reason being i bought a brand new gas tank and the inlet is in the middle and would rather not go through theh assle of changing it....
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Peter,
Driving at night in Wisconsin? I've never needed lights and heat in any of my boats!!!

Like Tim mentioned, get us some pictures so we can take a look at the project.

Wiring we can help out. It's pretty basic and almost any early wiring diagram will do. Take a look in our reference section under manuals at the early PCM manual. It will have the engine and gauge wiring. From there it's just a few accessories and nav lights.

I'll follow the links, o and as for the lights, i want some to shine on the back ski platform to light up the boats wake for our night skiing action( like on my 1999 Supra), along with us needing heat when we're done night skiing, haha.
1970 Mustang
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:02pm
That red/orange Mustang is spectacular looking. Your's could be to! Don't even consider painting your boat. Try to bring the gel back.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:06pm
I dont mean to burst anyones bubble, but if I remember correctly the owner of that orange mustang told me it had been re-geled? I could be wrong?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:14pm
I've noticed that red Mustang in the slide shows of the MW Reunion. Too bad it's not in the diaries. If he regelled it, it was worth it! It's got to be one of the nicer Mustangs out there.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:32pm
That Mustang was most definitely dark orange and not red- same color as your friend's Wildcat, Bruce. I do believe youre correct that it had been regelled Chris... I wasnt implying that it was all original- just the nicest example of that original color that I could find quickly. There are a few others in the diaries, but not a lot- its a really nice, rare, color.

mid-60's Mustang

'66 Mustang

Another '66 Mustang

'69 Ski Nautique

Reid's '67 Ski Nautique

'66 Wildcat

Bruce's friend's '66 Wildcat

I would not paint one bit of that boat, Peter. The deck would hold up better than the hull, but still not nearly as well as gel. I would stick to sanding and buffing it out instead. Thats a beautiful color you have there- I would not change it.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 4:48pm
Bruce That boat is a beauty.. I always forget to ask you this. when i was at frye island this yr there was a 70ish white bertram with a rounded transom at the dock one day   do you know the boat?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 4:54pm
Ok well sorry if i'm taking this off topic, but.....

I've already sanded off all the paint off the top half of my boat, it needed to go the paint was chipping off everywhere. Is it possible i can bring that color back? Obviously I'd have to try to identify that color.....

Also I'm a moron when it comes to redoing a boat obviously I plan to learn a ton on here as I go, but what does Gel coat mean exactly?

Like re gel coat? is it as simple as just apply that wax gel stuff they sell in the bottle?

Honestly, I'll start a new thread here in the next week with a link to a ton of pictures to my boat and show everything I have done to it so far. Just don't cringe.

Mine looks a lot more like that 66 then the 67, but i swear it's a 68....mine also has a wood engine cover, not the fiberglass design.

Makes me sick seeing that one sell for 1600 when i paid $2300 for mine, which does have a totally rebuilt engine though.
1970 Mustang
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 5:19pm
Don't worry about how the boat looks now. If there were ever a website of men(and a few women) who love bringing a boat back from the dead, this is it.

Here's a link about what gel coat is

Gel coat link
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 5:28pm

I've already sanded off all the paint off the top half of my boat, it needed to go the paint was chipping off everywhere. Is it possible i can bring that color back? Obviously I'd have to try to identify that color.....

Also I'm a moron when it comes to redoing a boat obviously I plan to learn a ton on here as I go, but what does Gel coat mean exactly?

Like re gel coat? is it as simple as just apply that wax gel stuff they sell in the bottle?

Honestly, I'll start a new thread here in the next week with a link to a ton of pictures to my boat and show everything I have done to it so far. Just don't cringe.

Please do start a new thread. Feel free to post pictures and ask questions, no one will laugh.

Gelcoat is what the exterior of the boat is made from- it is not paint. Gel coat is essentially tinted polyester resin- so it is thicker (~.020) and harder than paint, making it very durable. Its thickness allows it to be sanded down and smoothed, so it can be restored without reapplying it. It is applied much the same as paint, with a spray gun.

If you removed paint from your boat, it was not original. Its quite possible that the original gel is still underneath and restorable... so you may want to have others with some experience look at what youre dealing with before you alter something that you cant undo.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 6:00pm
Peter, I don't know the boat. If I've ever seen a Bertram on Sebago, I didn't realize it. Are you going back there this summer? Are you still looking for property? The market is still poor. A place near me that was rough, a definate fixerupper, but had a nice right of way to the lake and a 2 car gambrel garage, was on the market for while starting at $150,000. It was finally lowered to $100,000 and went under contract. It just closed for $50K! It's definately a buyer's market around there.
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 6:25pm
Turningpoint_ you may want to search "sanity gell coat prep"   She has a great project that was a learning experience for many of us.
70 Mustang project
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 7:01pm
Hahaha...and I am STILL learning from it! Which means you will be learning more soon too! :) But AGAIN "another" project that requires less attention has come into play and into my way because "the boss" pushed it ahead. Pictures will be posted next week. :) Hang on tight! Just finished my OSHA training today, so I should be good to go with the "safety requirements" LOL.
Sanity
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by h20loo h20loo wrote:

Turningpoint_ you may want to search "sanity gell coat prep"   She has a great project that was a learning experience for many of us.

Nothing comes up when i do a search. :(
1970 Mustang
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 7:25pm
do an advanced search and make sure you are looking back more than 6 months. You will find plenty of info
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 7:43pm
Bruce .it was probably a vacationer then . the house near you might be one we looked at . was it dark brown gambrel? that was a great buy if so. I spent the aft looking for old bertrams . there were some nice boats from the 60s and 70s 20' to 25' they look like quality stable designs
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 7:49pm
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Sanity's gel thread

This is a great thread. It shows what this forum is about,shows how people let little things like weddings get in the way and teaches a whole lot about gel restoration.
Good luck with your boat and I hope you know that there are a lot of us that love those orange boats.
70 Mustang project
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 12:10pm
Check out this nice looking 1958 18 footer. 1 of 5 made? 400hp? Holy smokes on the water...
http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2217178349.html
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 2:15pm
That ones been up here a few times. If i remember correctly, its pretty far from original and the guy was asking $55,000 for it!!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

That ones been up here a few times. If i remember correctly, its pretty far from original and the guy was asking $55,000 for it!!

Yeah..but CYPRESS GARDENS!!!!
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 9:59pm
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

WOFTAM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 1:02am
http://toledo.craigslist.org/boa/2202664717.html
Just because you can does not mean you should.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 1:10am
Originally posted by WOFTAM WOFTAM wrote:

http://toledo.craigslist.org/boa/2202664717.html

'91 SN

621 hours is "super low hours just getting broke in" ???

I realize there is plenty of life left, but c'mon!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 2:01am
1980 SN
$1k Florida    needs TLC ?
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 2:03am
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 8586878889 442>
  Share Topic