Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Storage Fees

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Storage Fees
    Posted: November-04-2007 at 3:32pm
Well, as we all know, boating is over for most of us. Many already have, or in the process, of putting the boats away for the winter. For those of us who are not fortunate enough to be able to ski through the winter months (water ski, that is), and don't have big enough garages for all the toys, or that have relatives with barns, that means going to the local storage facility.

I was curious what others are paying for storage fees. I realize it varies across the country and depends on a number of factors.

I am paying $2 per foot per month, so for my 19'6" '95 SN (round up to 20'), it is only $40/mo. for 5 months, or $200 total. Fully enclosed, metal building, non-heated, concrete floor. I figure I am getting a pretty good deal. It is a small price to pay to be able to get the car back in the garage and not have to scrape frost off the windows every morning.

What are others paying?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 3:56pm
good price, you'll save that in wear and tear on the boat, i just did a 92 which is always kept out of the water and in a dry garage when not being used and if you looked at the boat you would think it was a 2007. the boat definitely will hold its value because of cosmetics alone
"the things you own will start to own you"
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 5:01pm
damn thats cheap..wish i could find that around here..
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 8:59pm
I'm paying &235.00 from Oct. to March in a closed building with a cement floor at the county fairgrounds here in Indy.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 12:40am
200 is a great price. We store in an old barn and pay the old farmer 175 for 5 months.
The guy has plenty of space- let me know if you want in. groton, MA
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 1:06am
   I paid $235 last year at the local fairground.Inside,dry ,concrete floor,no heat.
   I checked into a place 3 miles from my house this year that was $50 a foot,but it was heated to 65 degrees,with alarm system and sprinkler system.
    I'm clearing land now to build a new garage at my house to permenantly solve that issue for next year

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 3:34am
Thread jack...sorry...Hey Mike how did the Bike biz go this summer? Hope you are making some money at it.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 10:58am
JBear,

Great.Thanks for asking.We put over 350 bikes through the shop since Feb.,That's alotta work for one guy.It's slowing down now,everyone's packing it in for the year.....gettin cold up here!

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 11:38am
Mike, glad to hear things are working on the plus side for you, you work all summer long like a madmen and winter hits and you dont know what to do with yourself
Eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 12:12am
   Thanks Eric. I know what i'll be doing all winter....catching up on all the stuff I put off this summer because of work .

On a side note,I took in my first 2008 Harley at the shop today.Only 35 miles on it,owners looking to have a bunch of stuff done.Took a real good look at it.....Isolated drive system,throttle by wire(no throttle cables on a motorcycle??),anti lock brakes....What's next?antifreeze? Looks like the beginning of the end for the Motor Company

Sorry guys, Didn't mean to get back off the storage subject

Mike

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 10:31pm
Got one for 10 bucks a month haha but its a friend.
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 6:40pm
$1 per foot per month. If you pay up front you get one month free! Farmer advertized in the local paper.

I have the 23' cuddy and a 20' Hydrodyne flat top stored there for $215 total for 6 months. He even covers all the boats and motor homes with plastic. It's full.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 6:47pm
Sounds like cheap rates to me. People I know are paying upwards of $600 for 20-22' indoor storage, Oct thru May.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 8:44pm
harleys are still air cooled?? no radiator?
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

local fairground.Inside,dry ,concrete floor,no heat.

Same for me, except mine was $120....November 4-April 1.

Rob
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 10:12pm
My wifes family has a industrial sales company, heated warehouse: free!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 10:58pm
Ohh the new cheapest winner ^ haha.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 2:17am
Mike: Sorry I missed this for a few days.

Sounds like you had a great first year. Now time to catch up on everything else. Plus relax a bit.

Seen the new Harleys at Ridge Harley in Lake Wales. Kinda hard to believe where they are goin'.......think I will stick with mine...'96 with carbs and cables...rides the way you wanna...gotta feel the road.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 3:07pm
Drive by wire on a Harley... ohh that's a disaster in the making.... I'm with you Jbear, leave the cables on hahaha
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 5:16pm

Storage: my garage
Price: my truck in the drive--I can't talk my wife into leaving her car out. On second thought, I haven't even asked her to consider it.

Jbear: I've been wearing that Harley shirt while driving my . . . other named bike, even ride with some HD guys from time to time.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 6:23pm
My new storage/shop space is 300 a month plus whatever I spend on kerosene and electric. It currently is housing the 83 ski nautique, the 67 mustang, a 76 tahiti outboard, a 98 s10, a 67 landcruiser, a 2000 police interceptor, a 94 seadoo jetski, a few extra engines/outboards and an 86 suzuki quad. That leaves just enough room around most for work, one open drive in bay for day to day car repairs, a 8x12 area surrounded by workbenches for engine assembly etc.. , storage for all my tools and other junk and a small office. I am pretty excited about it, I have never had most of my vehicles and all of my tools in the same place before, if I don't finish my winter projects this year I won't have any excuses.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 1:09am
Lake: Those guys must really like you...a person could get beat-up in the past for wearing a Harley shirt while riding brandx. Glad you are wearing it tho...hope you think of the jbear when you pull it on.

Mojo: gotta agree...drive by wire...c'mon.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 1:13am
Farm shed with gravel floor: Free

Box of mothballs to keep the mice out: priceless
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 10:38am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

think I will stick with mine...'96 with carbs and cables...

john

That's what I say about new ski boats.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 12:34pm
Joe, for $300 a month I'd rent a facility like that in a heart beat. Not going to happen in California. BKH
Livin' the Dream

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 12:42pm
I store my boat in the garage, the cost being that my 2006 truck, which has far more value, has never spent a night under cover. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense other than I like having the boat where I can get to it for winter projects & measurements, and I don't like having constrictive time restraints for pick up and drop off of the boat such as "There are about 20 boats in front of yours so you can't get to it until May". The boat is such a crazy expense that it's also nice to eyeball it over the winter to remind yourself of how great it is.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 1:22pm

In the attached heated garage all winter, cost? $159 for a remote starter on the wifes car and I better make sure I clear it off when the snow flies or things may change.

I too work on my boat all winter so she "understands".    Keeps me out of trouble, also has a coffee pot 5' in one direction and a fridge for the beers 5' the other direction depending what mood I'm in. No cable for football games yet but I'm working on it.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Joe, for $300 a month I'd rent a facility like that in a heart beat. Not going to happen in California. BKH

Even here in Rural NY I jumped on it in half a heartbeat. There are lots of old barns around but ones with concrete floors are more rare, and this one is under a mile from the house and about a mile and half from work.

More in the vain of this thread before this shop I was renting a self storage unit 10x32 ft for 179 a month, held the s10 and all the random stuff I have aquired that didnt fit anywhere else.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2007 at 11:58am
Joe, Interesting that you have a 67 Landcruiser. Is it restored? How long have you had it? In my days right out of college, I bought my first new vehicle which was a 72 series 3 Land Rover. I spent lots of time out off road with it along with several friends who had the Land Cruisers. I always admired them. Didn't they have a Chevy 6 in them? Due to not having storage space (too many boats!!) and needing the money I with much regret sold the Land Rover in 92. The only great thing about selling it was I got almost to the dollar what I had bought it for!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2007 at 2:16pm
I am partners in a 67 FJ40 with a friend of mine it is for the most part his project acquired before he even owned a single tool so it has been a learning process for him I basically consult on plans, provide tools and get called in when he screws something up or is worried he is going to.. I wouldnt exactly call it restored, I mean I am the guy with two CC's with engines that turn the "incorrect" direction.

It is not a chevy inline six but it is a very close copy of one. At the time japanese engineering was not quite what it is today, so they basically took a chevy engine and converted it to metric and they always rounded up making it a tank. This one was rebuilt about 5 years ago along with the trans, transfer case, and axles... so it is a pretty strong runner, its got a two barrel holley roundy round carb and has a junkyard HEI ingnition system both helped with reliablity. It is such a close copy that some parts like the thermostat housing can be interchanged with chevy junkyard parts, however things like cams, the solid lifters, valves, headers etc are not interchangeable and very expensive compared to building small block fords or chevys.

It came to us mopar lime green and full of hacked in diamond plate and bondo from the firewall back but with 33x12.5 tires (no lift). About 6 years ago we paid a local body shop to reinforce the frame at the spring mounts along with sandblasting and painting the frame. Then came the two year rebuilding of the drive train.

Two years ago we lifted it up by the frame instead of the usual axle and the front rear axle and springs pretty much broke off the frame at the front spring mounts. Upon further inspection the "body shop" applied a fair amount of body filler where metal should have been on the frame.

Now the frame is repaired and boxed in from the fire wall back (my friend did pretty nice welding work but I would have ground down the welds if it was me) , there is a shiny new aluminum tub from the fire wall back, new front seats, we found some orignal center facing benches to restore for the back, and since it was apart it got all new springs shocks, etc. (2.5 inch lift). This winter it needs a power steering conversion and a new roll bar built and installed. There is also talk of doing something about the front end being lime green and the back aluminum. We did get a 4 speed transmission to replace the 3 speed thats on there but thats low priority until it breaks. We have the hard top and doors and they are restorable but as of yet it we have never run it with a top, probably never will.

Anyway its a fun truck off road you don't run into too many of them around town and it has been a good learning experience for my now slightly more mechanically inclined friend but what a money pit. Around the same amount of time I bought and rebuilt a 1970 jeep universal parts for that thing were everywhere and dirt cheap, and while it was no where near the capabilities of the landcruiser the average person doesn't know the difference. The jeep I had fun with and made money on the sale, couldn't get half of what we have in the landcruiser if we sold it.

I always liked the look of the land rovers but they have been out of my budget both to acquire and keep up, I always hoped to pick up a defender 90 someday but the way gas prices are going that looks a little less attractive every year.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic