NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

99 GT40 manifold drain plug size

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NCH2OSKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH2OSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 99 GT40 manifold drain plug size
    Posted: November-06-2007 at 2:01pm
What size wrench do I need for the large brass drain plug on the manifold, 99 gt-40. How much trash, scale ect should come out of there when I drain them?

Thanks
Jeff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 2:09pm
You should be able to use a 1/2 drive ratchet. I always get some scale out. Id put a drop cloth over the carpet and be ready to redirect the draining water into the bilge- I use a piece of step flashing.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 2:26pm
The newer manifold plugs take a 1" wrench rather than the 1/2 inch drive. I just bought a big adjustable wrench to use for mine.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 2:47pm
This past weekend I decided to use an extra length of 2' blower/vent hose with a hole poked through near the top side for wrench access. I was able to direct the flow exactly where I wanted it to go.
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 3:14am
Crud, my dealer just told me 1-1/16 for the wrench today.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Buckeye1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckeye1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 10:23am
My 2006 196 uses a 1 - 1/16 on the manifold plugs.
John
Buckeye1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckeye1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 10:28am
To divert the water coming out of the manifolds, I use a empty 1 gallon antifreeze container or milk jug, start cutting across the center of the bottom, 1/2 way down each side then back across. This does 2 things, creates a flap to direct the water coming out of the manifold and then collect the water in the uncut section of the container. After the water is out, I empty the container. I don't have to worry about the water and sentiment going where I do not want it.
John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Buckeye1nc Buckeye1nc wrote:

Well, maybe there's hope for me. As for the Indmar engines I've grown accustomed to working with prior to owning a Nautique, the manifold plug size didn't change between Ford and Chevy. Worst case scenario, I take it back for a 1" if it doesn't grab it.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 9:35pm

To divert the water coming out of the manifolds, I use a empty 1 gallon antifreeze container or milk jug, start cutting across the center of the bottom, 1/2 way down each side then back across.

Great idea.....why didn't I think of that? I have made similar devices out of antifreeze bottles to use as boat bailers (for the aluminum fishing boat) and cleaning out gutters.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2007 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by east tx skier east tx skier wrote:

Well, maybe there's hope for me. As for the Indmar engines I've grown accustomed to working with prior to owning a Nautique, the manifold plug size didn't change between Ford and Chevy. Worst case scenario, I take it back for a 1" if it doesn't grab it.

Well, 1-1/16" worked. I doubt it's the original plug, but it's due for another replacement after the number I did on it before having the new box wrench.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic