NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3LB Custom Trailer rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3LB Custom Trailer rebuild
    Posted: November-08-2007 at 9:20pm
Well it seems pretty slow around here lately as a lot of boats are headed to storage so I thought I'd post some pics of the trailer project. Not as much fun as working on the boat but it is coming along fairly quickly.

This will be a total restoration, sand blast, powder coat, repaint the fiberglass pan/fenders, add surge brake system and new wiring & lights.

Frame is all stripped and headed to the powder coater tommorrow. We had to heat and straighten the bow stops as someone must have really loaded the boat hard a few times. Also found a pretty good crack in a cross member that needed to have an angle welded in as a repair.

Started stripping the fiberglass piece and will get it ready for paint within a couple weeks.

Sorry about that picture, the lighting in the garage is equivalent to that in a wine cellar.

Then I'll have to make up some new guide posts as the ones that came on it are homemade and pretty dorky looking. Dorky's a word right?
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 9:52pm
Looks like a good winter project to keep you busy. I wish there was a trailer with the fiberglass pan for the BFN. Keep us updated as the project progresses.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 10:34pm
How about some background info on these trailers for us(me) older uneducated members.Were these Correct Craft built? Were they an option or were they made for certain models?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 10:41pm
Wow, it looks like it's coming along really well. Congrats once again on a sweet find. I think you're absolutely right that your boat will look like it's on a pedestal. Did you decide to go with white/blue stripe, or the other way around? I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Rob
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 11:12pm
Gary

According to the refference section the 3LB trailer was a factory option starting in 1977 and ended as far as I can tell in 1983. The fiberglass pan is all origina. I would imagine they stopped making this trailer do to lack of demand for it. My dad said it was more expensive then the regular trailer. The fiberglass pan helps keep road grime off the boat while trailering.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 11:37pm
Alan,
I didnt know you had gotten this trailer...was it the one from what was to be our "club" boat that I had listed from Craigslist a month or two ago?   I remember you saying the boat was junk? Either way...nice trailer!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 1:01am
Steve, yes the one from St Charles. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Gary/BFn from what I can tell the fiberglass skirt was available as an option from 77 through model year 81 on a #3low boy trailer. I believe the skirt option was discontinued with the hull change to the 2001 series although the trailer went on for a bit longer. They were a $1200 option and back in those days quite expensive. Seems like a lot of promo boats ended up with them and there seem to be quite a few more under 77-79 boats but very few 80-81 models.

I've been looking for one of these since I bought the 81 Deluxe as I just felt this boat wouldn't be complete until it was sitting on one.

James, This will be done before the snow flies, I don't like looking at the boat up on jack stands in the driveway, needs to be back under cover.

Rob, I decided to go all white to match the boat with some blue (same as the boat stripe of course)detailing. It will get some period correct aluminum mags to compliment the polished aluminum windshield frame. I'll get the frame back next week and start installing the brakes(motorhome can be scary to stop with the brakeless boat behind it now) and wiring.

Pretty fun so far, now I have to figure out where I'm going to spray the skirt once I get it ready for paint.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 10:22am
Alan, Keep the pictures comming. Great project!
I like your garage doors. Have you had to varnish them yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 10:36am
How attitudes can change! My '79 had this trailer, and all I knew at the time was that it was a pita to have to remove it in order to get my cherry picker close enough to pull the motor?!!?

I guess I now know why the buyer didn't balk at my price.

Alan, how did you make the transfer to the stands?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 11:45am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan, Keep the pictures comming. Great project!
I like your garage doors. Have you had to varnish them yet?

Garage doors need to be refinished badly Pete, If I gave you my list of house stuff you'd wonder how I ever get to use the boat. All I can say is when March gets here everyone here has to get out of my way cause I go like heck on that list to make room for boating.

BuffaloBFN, I can see where it would be a problem with the engine hoist but at least I got the motor situation out of the way last winter. Compared to my old trailer this will be dream. We trailer everywhere we go and protecting the boat from rocks and road debris and keeping it a little cleaner when we get caught trailering in bad weather will be worth it. I plan to make a cover that will run down to the trailer and cover the sides of the boat while traveling also. I may be a little extreme with keeping this boat looking good but I have fun doing it and it keeps me out of trouble(most of the time)

As for putting the boat on stands I used my engine hoist to lift the back, placed stands under it then went to the front with the hoist and slid the trailer out. A little tricky by myself but it worked.

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 11:59am
Be careful with who you use as a powdercoater.

You want a zinc rich powder primer, with your top coat on it. Otherwise you have no corrosion protection.

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Be careful with who you use as a powdercoater.

You want a zinc rich powder primer, with your top coat on it. Otherwise you have no corrosion protection.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I'll look into it when I drop it off today. This is a business aquantance of mine and he seems to run a pretty nice shop with about 10 years experience. I think I'm in good hands but will ask first.

Anyone have an explanation why powder would cost less than paint? He quoted me both ways and powder is $100 less stating there was less prep work with powder over paint. I am assuming powder is better than paint also, correct?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 12:28pm
Alan, With the EPA coming down on all solvent emissions the costs to make the wet paint is higher because of the controls that need to be in place. From the user end it has put a lot out of the wet paint business due to their controls that are required. Real fancy spray booths! I personally am not a fan of powder just because it's adhesion is poor. Sandblasting certanly helps with a mechanical bond but there still isn't any chemical bond like you get with wet paint primers. Any pin hole or scratch that allows moisture under the powder and the corrosion will start. I'm glad that your powder coater is a friend that you can trust. He may have slightly different views on it than me but I'm sure he will review that with you. I would go for the wet paint.

If your garage door has the factory finish on it, it's probably not much to speak of. When you find the time to varnish it, I would encourage you to ues a marine varnish with plenty of UV filtering in it. Don't let it get too bad because you know, you will end up with lots more work.

Edit: With the powder becoming so popular, the wet paint is being made in smaller batches which pushes costs up too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 1:10pm
Even if your powdercoating guy is your friend I would demand that he primes it with zinc rich powder. Most shops are only looking at the bottom line, not if you are happy in 5 years.

Find out what kind of powder he uses. I know tigerdrylac has a zinc rich powder.

www.tigerdrylac.com

I have seen $14K aircraft frames that were poorly powder coated, and they are junk because they went the cheap way out. Trust me, if the rust starts to run under the powder, that stuff is next to impossible to get off.

Tim

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 1:21pm
Alan, great to have an update. Im sure it will come out looking terrific- just like the boat.

Question- if youre keeping the pan white, why repaint? Im assuming that its gelcoat, just like a boat- could the finish be brought back by wetsanding and buffing?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 1:36pm
Behindprop, He's more of a business aquantance than a friend so I will ask the questions, I appreciate your advice. I'm starting to lean back towards paint. Thank you for your input.

Timb, Unfortunately the fiberglass needs a little repair work in a few places so a wet sand and buff isn't an option. I haven't decided to paint or re-gel it yet but I am leaning towards paint. The powder guy recommended a 2 part urethane for it and I plan to talk to him about that today but I'm weeks away from having it ready for him so I have time to do some homework and decide.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 2:06pm
Alan, It just hit me about one other thing making the wet paint $100 more. Did he qoute just one coat with the powder? The wet would probably be prime and paint (2 coats) unles he was going to paint with a DTM (direct to metal) which I would absolutly not recommend.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Find out what kind of powder he uses. I know tigerdrylac has a zinc rich powder.

www.tigerdrylac.com

Tim

Tim, I just dropped off the trailer and we talked for a bit. He uses the product you mentioned above but when I asked what he would do if it was his trailer he suggested useing a 2 part urethane primer and top coat. Said he would do it same price either way so we're going with the paint option. He could also guarantee a color match with the paint and was less certain about that with powder. He gave me color cards to bring home and match the boat exactly so once I call monday with a color should have it done within a week.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 6:07pm
It will look really nice when done..
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 9:51pm
I'm excited for you. Don't forget, IMHO, pop for the LED lights when rewiring. No more burnt out bulbs!

Rob
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 10:12pm
Alan,thanks for the back ground,it's amazing what that company has done over the years.I'll have to get working on my trailer now.I got a quote for sandblasting from one place,300.00 another wants 300 but will prime it also.Does that sound comparable to yours?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 10:35pm
Gary-

I would get it blasted, prime with vari-prime, and then corlar epoxy followed by a top coat. I went cheap on mine and used valspar for the top coat, if I would have had more $$ I would have used Imron. If you are going to paint, go rent a fresh air breathing system.

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Alan,thanks for the back ground,it's amazing what that company has done over the years.I'll have to get working on my trailer now.I got a quote for sandblasting from one place,300.00 another wants 300 but will prime it also.Does that sound comparable to yours?

Gary, I had a couple of estimates ranging from $300-$450 so for $300 git er done.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

I'm excited for you. Don't forget, IMHO, pop for the LED lights when rewiring. No more burnt out bulbs!

Rob

That's the plan dude. Will we see you guys sat night?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2007 at 11:33pm
Tim- I had planned to use centari with hardener,but maybe I will use Imron.I did my MG frame that way and it's held up great.I bought a fresh air system and would not paint with out it anymore.Those paints are not to be messed with.My Mom had pulmonary fibrous and believe me the 4 or 500 bucks for the system was cheap compaired to what she went thru.
Alan thanks for the heads up,I'll go with the guy who will prime it so I can I can get it home and not have it start rusting.I'll most likely sand down most of his primer anyway since I do have some pitting to take care of
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 2:09am
Thats so cool man. I never saw one of those with the boat off so I thought it just had the skirts but thats wayy cool with the pan. I cant Wait to see it done.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2007 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Tim- I had planned to use centari with hardener,but maybe I will use Imron.I did my MG frame that way and it's held up great.I bought a fresh air system and would not paint with out it anymore.Those paints are not to be messed with.My Mom had pulmonary fibrous and believe me the 4 or 500 bucks for the system was cheap compaired to what she went thru.
Alan thanks for the heads up,I'll go with the guy who will prime it so I can I can get it home and not have it start rusting.I'll most likely sand down most of his primer anyway since I do have some pitting to take care of

Gary-

Glad to hear you are painting with the fresh air. 100x better than sucking the air through a mask.

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 12:05pm
Progress is coming along nicely, Trailer frame is painted and if I can find a few hours sunday the Fiberglass pan will be ready for paint also. I'll try to get a few new pics up sunday.

One thing that's going to hang me up is replacing the homemade guide poles with some originals like in the photo below.

Anybody have an idea of where to find a pair or suggestions on making some. I have torches and a welder some I can fabricate to some extent. Can a muffler shop bend pipe heavier than what you would find in a muffler shop? I was thinking of going to a fence company and seeing what they have for heavy guage pipe but have to get it bent somewhere. Suggestions?
Thanks

Interesting ride home from the painters with the trailer, seems they removed the wheels to paint and when putting them back on they just hand tightened them. I got about 1 mile from their shop and the trailer started bouncing like crazy. Pulled over to find one wheel with only one lug nut left on. Luckily the other side still had five so I pulled 2 off for the other side. Never even crossed my mind to check, Here I am trying to sneak it back home with no lights or registration on it and a freaking wheel almost falls off. Live and learn.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 12:14pm
Alan,
Find someone that does chassis work on race cars, etc. You want a mandrel bent tubing.
A muffler bender will put crimps in the bend..... Very ugly.... (the crimps not the trailer)

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 12:39pm
Alan, A good electrician will have the exact bender required. The pipe used is 1 1/4" scd. 40 pipe. It is the same thing that a electrician will call "heavy wall".
Glad to hear you are making progress.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic