NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3LB Custom Trailer rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Anything else I'm forgetting?

Coors Light for saturday???

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 3:38pm
Alan, beautiful work as always. I cant wait to see it with the striping done and the new wheels/tires. If those crash bunks arent original (I know my '78 doesnt have any) you cant tell- they look great.

I need at least one set of guides made up as well- possibly 2. Shoot me an email when you figure out a plan- maybe the same measurements will work for me and we can share some of the cost.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Alan, beautiful work as always. I cant wait to see it with the striping done and the new wheels/tires. If those crash bunks arent original (I know my '78 doesnt have any) you cant tell- they look great.

I need at least one set of guides made up as well- possibly 2. Shoot me an email when you figure out a plan- maybe the same measurements will work for me and we can share some of the cost.

Thanks Tim.
You don't miss much do you, the crash pads are not original but I'm not a fan of the poles just wrapped with rubber so I slapped them together. Surprised no one mentioned the carpeted side pads on the inside of the fenders. CC put a rock hard rubber strip on there and they tend to marr the side of the boat if you load off center. I think the carpet will do a better job and the plywood underneath is completely sealed with resin and put on with SS screws so it should last.

As for the striping, my plan is to duplicate the stripe and lettering on the boat but it's a pretty narrow area to work with so it's not laying out quite right yet.

I'll let you know how the guides work out but it will be a couple weeks before I get back to it.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 4:27pm
Outstanding job Alan!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 4:31pm
Alan,

Spoke to an Electrician buddy of mine about this, former owner of a 2001 BTW, anyways he does not have a large bender but if you can provide a drawing/sketch he can bend up whatever you need, he said it would be a breeze, another thought he had was you could rent a bender and try and tackle it yourself.

What are you thinking about for wheels? Spinners perhaps?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

the crash pads are not original but I'm not a fan of the poles just wrapped with rubber so I slapped them together. Surprised no one mentioned the carpeted side pads on the inside of the fenders. CC put a rock hard rubber strip on there and they tend to marr the side of the boat if you load off center. I think the carpet will do a better job and the plywood underneath is completely sealed with resin and put on with SS screws so it should last.

Agreed- the rubber covered poles dont offer much cushioning- the gel on the Tique isnt the prettiest in those 2 spots from loading. All the blue carpet ties the whole trailer together- very nice.

Absolutely no rush on the guide poles- if you come up with a good solution and dont mind me piggybacking, that would be great. The original owner cut the poles off the '90 trailer which makes loading a bit more difficult.
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 7:11pm
Alan,

WOW......You are the "Magic Man" Nice work buddy! Cant wait to see it at green lake.
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 7:12pm
I myself like the hoops on the front on the trailers. So long as they are like the ones pictured here.

hoop
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 2:55pm
Trbenj,

Your 2 sets of guides are on the way. Should work out ok, I trimmed 6" off the bottom after bending and welded on the flanges. They sit nice and plumb and are about 48 " tall. I'd show you a completed set but they're already at the paint shop.

Eric, I ended up buying the Harbor Freight bender you suggested for $89. Worked like a charm.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 3:05pm
Wow, Alan those look awesome! Your handiwork translates over to metal very nicely.

I wasnt even envisioning the second bend- very cool. Thanks again- just let me know the damage was for shipping and Ill get that check in the mail!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 3:15pm
now you can build a tower for your boat
"the things you own will start to own you"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

now you can build a tower for your boat

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I know your kidding...right!?? everyone knows you'd use treated 4x4 lumber for the sturdiest towers...

Now Alan will be known as "Magic-Metalman!!!

Very nice!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 4:11pm
Alan, I know know you have fantastic skils working with fiberglass and metal. The next step is to get you into that wood boat!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2008 at 4:51pm
The sun has finally come out and I'm close enough to complete to get some final pics of my winter project. Only thing left to do is get a spare tire cover and figure what I'm going to do for a bow tie down, I may install a winch although I've never needed one loading I may put one on just incase.

I towed it a few miles today to make sure I didn't have any issues and I love the new brakes, even my feeble Aztec stopped it very nicely. Rob, you're right about the LED lights they are worth the extra money, first thing my wife commented on was how bright they are. Come on spring.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2008 at 5:07pm
Oh my. It looks just awesome. Can I leave my boat and trailer at your house next winter?

Seriously...you gotta be real pleased.

Nice neighborhood. Nice sunny day. I assume you've only had CQ and the PLBC guys over under the cover of darkness.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2008 at 7:08pm
Absolutely beautiful. Well done.

Rob
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2008 at 8:10pm
Alan, WOW!! It's going to be tough to back that trailer into a weedy and or dirty water lake!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2008 at 8:45pm
You do have a talent for these types of things Alan. It looks very nice. BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2008 at 8:55pm
Alan, I love the details! As always, beautiful work.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2008 at 10:45pm
You're gonna be hard pressed to find another ski boat from 1981 looking that good going down the road, and to actually go SKI behind the thing. Show stopper.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2008 at 10:57pm
Wow. That looks brand new. Nice job.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 12:53am
Looks really great Alan. You really do nice work.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 1:04am
WOW! Excellent work Alan! Looks great
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 1:06am
Magic, What a killer rig... You finished that out right !!! Glad it all worked out for ya !!!

Dave
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 1:16am
Outstanding.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 10:31am
Showoff   
bj
hasbeenskier
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 11:46am
A trailer queen trailer?

Just kidding. Stunning, simply stunning.

Can't wait to see it in 117 days.

-Steve
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

A trailer queen trailer?

Just kidding. Stunning, simply stunning.

Can't wait to see it in 117 days.

-Steve

Steve, I'll be the only idiot that has to wash his trailer after a day of boating.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I just really enjoy working on this foolish thing. Never really set out to get this involved with it but it keeps evolving each winter and I'm pretty happy with it at this point.

I think most on this site would agree there's a good sense of pride that comes with doing as much of the work yourself and that probably drives most of us that spend way too much time and money on these things.

In the end we're gonna get it wet and dirty and ski the heck out of it, if we break it we'll fix it, see you all at Green lake or sooner.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 12:34pm
Alan,

Wow, the trailer turned out as nice as the boat!!

Is the perimeter lettering/stripping painted or stickers? Looks like paint and maybe the "Correct Craft" is a sticker?

Awesome work once again!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Alan,

Is the perimeter lettering/stripping painted or stickers? Looks like paint and maybe the "Correct Craft" is a sticker?

Awesome work once again!

Your close, it's all vinyl. I was going to paint it but I didn't want to get into it. I was able to find a metallic vinyl that matchs the paint so close it's hard to tell the difference. The stripe and graphic is all one piece and the Correct Craft script is dropped out so what you're seeing is the painted fiberglass.

I originally set the stripes up to have a smaller detail stripe above and below the center one but it was too busy for such a small area so I removed it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic