Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new to ski boats

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to ski boats
    Posted: November-17-2007 at 11:39pm
Hello,

I have just purchased a 1973 nautique with a 351 and the boat runs great. But I took part of the floor up and found wet foam and soft secondary stringers. So Iam removing the foam and replacing the secondary stringers along with a new floor. Am I crazy? I bought the boat for 2k.

Also does Acid washing your boat realy work and how long do I leave the acid on the boat?

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2007 at 11:53pm
Sam- Welcome to the site!
You're not crazy. Lot's of guys here have taken on that project.
What are you trying to do with the acid? A lot of people use on/ off or slimey grimey to clean the hull. Acetone works very well and won't hurt the gel coat. Use it cautiosly around decals and pinstriping.

Post some pics!
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 12:01am
I read on this sight that maratic acid (forgive my spelling)cleans gel coat good. Removing yellowing and stains ext.

This site is awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 1:55am
Welcome Sam B; you're gonna love that boat! Ask all the questions you think of. Someone here will have an opinion. (muriatic -- I think)

BTW, we love to see pictures of new old boats

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 12:11pm
I use Hydrochloric acid to clean the bottems, its nasty but it cleans, it also cleans the concrete under the boat, I havnt had a problem with it touching the glass, these of course are boats that sit in the water for the season, it also removes the grime on the sides too
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 1:20pm
Sam, I would stay away from the straight acids and use products that are made to do the job. There are plenty of hull cleaners and even some specialty stain removers for gel coat. I would look at one of the marine supplies or if you have a problem finding something, tell us and we will help. You will find lots of help on this site, Welcome.

Stringer rot is the norm and not unusual. The opposite would be! Do NOT stop at the secondary stringers. You do not want to do this project again in the near future. I used the search feature and came up with the following thread on the subject but you can do the same and come up with plenty more!!

skibums stringer project

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 1:36pm
If you have the floor out don't half ass the project and just replace the secondary stringers. Pull the eng. and trans. and do the main stringers too. In 5 years you will be kicking yourself for not doing everything.

Tim

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Do NOT stop at the secondary stringers. You do not want to do this project again in the near future.

I dont know why you guys are so eager to multiply the complexity of a project. If the main stringers are solid and dry, why tear into them? If they survived several years being in close proximity to wet foam, what makes you think they'll be susceptible to failure soon after the water is removed and the floor is properly repaired?

My take: Remove all water and wetness. Remove all foam. Replace anything thats rotten. Reinforce any areas susceptible to damage/water intrusion (bulkheads, sharp corners, etc). It wont hurt to put a coat of epoxy resin or even a layer of glass over the main stringers- but I wouldnt go through the trouble of pulling the motor and replacing them if theyre fine. Replace foam with new closed cell stuff (or none at all, if you prefer) and seal the floor up properly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 3:43pm
Tim, excellent point but you forgot to add checking the existing wood with a moisture meter. The wood spores that cause rot can't live or develop when the moisture content is below 20%. If it below that level the great. If not then do it now and not later.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 4:49pm
Pete - How do you get the moisture meter into the stringer? Do you drill core holes? Where is the strategic place to drill them?

I would like to investigate without tearing everything apart.

Chris
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 6:14pm
Chris, I would use a small hole saw just wide enough for the pins of the meter to fit into. Drill low on the stringer. You should be able to get a drill into the bilge around the pylon and then under the floor to the rear of the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 8:49pm
Pete - thanks for the tips. A moisture meter just went on my Christmas list.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 9:15pm
Chris, It's in Woodworkers supply's catalog but being new, not on the web site yet. A stud finder and moisture meter in one for $34. I'm sure it's not the best but unless you are going to become a pro and make a carrier out of checking moisture content and looking for studs, it will work. Give them a call at 800-645-9292 and ask for part 150-722 for the "4-in-1 meter

Here's a link to a $42 moisture meter only:woodworkers supply moisture meter

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic