Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

standard or reverse firing order

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tim777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: standard or reverse firing order
    Posted: December-07-2007 at 6:27am
I have a 79 ski tique and was thinking about putting a 347 in place of the 302, but I'm really not sure about the firing order. I am a chevy guy and this is my first ford.
1979 Ski Tique
(347 stroker)
Tim J
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 7:51am
Tim, The Tique should have a reverse rotation engine in it unless someone has messed with it. The engine ID number will have a "R" in it.

Here's a link to the manual in our ref. section:
PCM

I looked in it to confirm the firing order which is: 18736245

Since you are a Chevy guy, it's too bad that your Tique doesn't have the OMC engine. It was a higher priced option but they used GM blocks!! Instead of building up the Ford, look for a 305 OMC and build it up. Take a look here:
marineengine.com

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 12:07pm
The transmission and prop to think about if you're going to change rotation. Firing order depends on cam shaft.
Tim D
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

The transmission and prop to think about if you're going to change rotation. Firing order depends on cam shaft.

Dont forget to swap over the starter and dist, and to orient the RWP properly if swapping in the LH motor.

Pete, I believe the correct firing order would be 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3 on that 302. If the motor currently runs, you can tell for sure by looking at the dist and plug wires.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 12:29pm
That's right, but I was refering to going from RH to LH (motor swap). If you're going to change a LH to RH in the engine, don't forget the rear seal too.
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pete, I believe the correct firing order would be 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3 on that 302. If the motor currently runs, you can tell for sure by looking at the dist and plug wires.

Tim, Did I make a typo? What was I looking at in the manual in our ref. section? The one I got the firing order out of is the second one in the list and not the first one that I linked above.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Tim, Did I make a typo? What was I looking at in the manual in our ref. section? The one I got the firing order out of is the second one in the list and not the first one that I linked above.

Pete, there are a few firing orders listed for the RH 302 in the PCM manual. The one you listed *might* be the 289/early 302 firing order. Later 302's used the 351w firing order. Reid would know more about which engines used what, and when the switch was made.

My LH 351 in my '90 uses 13726548, and the RH 302 in my '78 is 18456273.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 4:24pm
you really don't want to change the rotation of the motor from RH to Lh unless you are also going to replace the 1:1 tranny with a 1.23:1 tranny. You will not like the results.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 5:31pm
I thought it has already been discussed that the 1:1 tranny can go either direction. Thus being the internals need to be changed around, for proper rotation.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

I thought it has already been discussed that the 1:1 tranny can go either direction. Thus being the internals need to be changed around, for proper rotation.

It can be. I think Chris is talking about the performance of a CC swinging a LH prop.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 5:38pm
Tim,
I got you now, I was not thinking along that line. I was stuck thinking Chris ment that you could not do it.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 6:07pm
Tim's on it. It has been done before, converting/swapping a RH for a LH, but then they find out the boat handles like sh*t and their stuck with it or replace the 1:1 for a 1.23:1 tranny to use a RH prop and gain back the handling they lost.

A lot of people think they used a RH because of the way the boat acts backing up, which is completely False, those same people also think that you have no control which direction it goes when they use reverse. Me personally I could back my 79 straight back to the left or to the right it's all in the amount you turn the wheel and how much gas you use, the trick is not to cut the wheel all of the way and not to leave it in gear but to bump it and coast/go slow piece of cake.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 6:32pm
My 302 was originaly 18736245.The cam card from my new in '88 Crane cam said 18736245,but was in fact was 18456273 which I believe is 351 order.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 12:56pm
A lot of people think they used a RH because of the way the boat acts backing up

not me, im still clueless on the right hand thing
"the things you own will start to own you"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 11:13am
Tim777,
I with you on the 347! Call this guy at the link below and you can have a RH (reverse rotation) short block delivered to your doorstep for $2K, shipping included. Then you can re-use ALL of your marine parts and pieces. You will need to provide the cam and other normal items for a long block rebuild. I've gotten several from him, Paul Anthony, and he's a great guy to deal with.    http://www.pareraceengines.com/home.html

And your firing order will stay the same at the 18456273, as Tim Benj mentioned. This is the 351 firing order which 302 4V engines began utilizing when they started sharing the same cam and 351 heads back in about '71. As someone else might have mentioned many of the lower hp 2V versions still used the old 289-302 F.O.

Stroke it 777. Oh, meant to add, you may need to buy a new/higher pitch prop, as the additional cubes may have you turning the orig prop a little high. Nice problem to have though.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic