Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

84 barefoot glass

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bare12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 84 barefoot glass
    Posted: December-14-2007 at 11:24pm
looking for front glass for a 1984 barefoot nautique
bare12"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 10:21am
Mark, Is the frame ok? If so, you can just go to any glass shop. They will cut it and bend it into the frame. YES, I am told that it is flat glass that is bent cold into the frame!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 10:40am
Was the '84 curved? My '88 is a flat panel design.

I just looked in the diaries. The 84 had a cleaner look!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
bare12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 10:45am
the 84 is curved, not a lot, but it is??
bare12"
bare12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 10:49am
the frame is fine, the glass has a little scrach!!
bare12"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 11:39am
Originally posted by bare12 bare12 wrote:

the 84 is curved, not a lot, but it is??

It is flat, any glass shop can get you a new piece, They won't cut it there but will use dimensions from your existing or make a template from it and order it from a supplier with a tempering furnace.   The tempered glass will bend as you install it into the aluminum channels. Do not install a piece you get from a local shop without tempering it. Once it comes in if your not comfortable working with glass have them wrap it back into the frame for you. Rubber mallot and a block of wood is all you need, start with the top piece of al frame and tap it on to the glass working from one end to the other. The glass will slowly set into the channel and take the curve of the frame.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Was the '84 curved? My '88 is a flat panel design.

I just looked in the diaries. The 84 had a cleaner look!

Greg- I didnt realize your BFN is a '88... Im now officially jealous! I love the look of the 87-88 boats.

Alan's advice is spot on. The windshield on my '90 is curved as well, but once you remove the glass from the frame, the glass is perfectly flat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Greg- I didnt realize your BFN is a '88... Im now officially jealous! I love the look of the 87-88 boats.

Bending glass blows my mind. Obviously I don't know much about glass, but I've busted a couple of pieces of plate in the last 2 days trying to make something?!!? LOL
Greg's '88
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 2:05pm

Bending glass blows my mind. Obviously I don't know much about glass, but I've busted a couple of pieces of plate in the last 2 days trying to make something?!!? LOL
Greg's '88

Greg,

If you're trying to bend plate for a windshield please stop. It can't be done, it's not safe and at the very least will crack from even the slightest imperfection on an edge. It must be tempered and have the edges seamed. When something hits your boat windshield at 40 mph and throws daggers of plate glass at you you'll know why all glass for this application is either tempered or laminated.

If you decide to reassemble the windshield yourself working with glass is not magic. Just get yourself a carpeted table free of any debris or your'll scratch the new glass. Don't lay any tools on the glass and do not tap the edges of the glass with anything. Tap the frame onto the glass not the glass into the frame. You can use some soapy water to lubricate the gasket.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

If you're trying to bend plate for a windshield please stop.

No bending, I'm just trying to get a clean cut for a frame I'm making. It was just on my mind....but thanks in case I had been doing something stupid! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 2:15pm

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

If you're trying to bend plate for a windshield please stop.

No bending, I'm just trying to get a clean cut for a frame I'm making. It was just on my mind....but thanks in case I had been doing something stupid! LOL

Dip your cutter in a little kerosene or very light oil before scoring, nice light pressure on the stroke, your cutter should "sing" as we call it in the business and break the glass immediately. Make sure your stroke goes through to the edge of the glass and always break from the edge where you ended your stroke. It's a finess thing, practice on some scraps.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 2:25pm
Thanks Alan! Why can't the directions on the cutter be that clear?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 2:35pm

Greg's '88

Greg, very cool- I had seen your diary before but didnt put 2 and 2 together. Add it to your signature already!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 4:15pm

Thanks Alan! Why can't the directions on the cutter be that clear?!!? LOL

No Problem, 15 years in the glass business.

Ps. Closet woodworker here, start a post sometime, I bet there are quite a few that could show some handi work. I think BKH is a woodworker too. I went to vocational school for carpentry and then worked with my cabinet maker dad for a few years. Decided it wasn't for me as a career but still enjoy making furniture when I get the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic