Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Video Editing Software

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video Editing Software
    Posted: December-26-2007 at 9:13pm
Can anyone help with some video editing / creating advice?

I have many pictures and some video that I would like to compile, edit, add music to, and burn to DVD's. I've never done any of that before and need some help getting started.

I am looking to create vides slide shows similar to what 75Tique (Larry) put together in his "CCFan 2007 Year in Review" video, or just to add music to some video clips like what others on this site have done. I want to become a little more "YouTube savvy". What type of software are you guys using to create your clips?
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2007 at 10:46pm
Adobe Premiere Elements.
It's the only software I've used for this purpose and it has been very good to me.
-Brad
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2007 at 1:42am
iMovie (free with a new Mac as part of the iLife package) is not only amazing video editing software but it's an absolute marvel in general. Very powerful and very easy to use. I've run Macs as home computers since 2003 and I'd never go back to having a Windows machine at home (and I work with a blend of Windows and Mac machines at work). The software that comes bundled with the Mac, from iPhoto to burning discs to creating amazing DVD's with iDVD cannot be matched by anything else out there. If you don't currently run a Mac, it's worth buying a whole computer just for iMovie, IMO.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2007 at 1:44am
You may have it already and not know it. I just use Windows movie maker (its free) comes with your windows set up. You can import photos, video clips, add captions before or on photos or clips, add credits, edit, copy, move clips, add music or narration. I'm just a rookie, I really know very little about it, but I've been able to create the entry level stuff you've seen on here. When you complete your project, it allows you to save it as a Windows Media Player file that you can upload to photobucket or youtube. I could be wrong, but I don,t think you can burn DVDs from it. I use something called mu-vee to burn DVDs.
I don't have a DVD burner or that software, I have to pirate my daughters computer to do that. (she gets all the good stuff) The mu-vee came on her computer, I think you can download a "lite" version for free but I'm not sure.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2007 at 11:21am
Great, thanks everyone. I will have to check them out. I appreciate the feedback.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2007 at 12:24pm
It could depend on your video camera too. I just got a new HDD Panasonic camcorder that I'm still playing with. Movie Maker does not work with it at all. I have some success with Roxio but it's fairly limited. I've done some research on some of the other more popular editing software out there such as Premier Elements, Power Director and numerous others. They all offer free trial downloads to try them and see if they will work for you. That would be my suggestion. Then when you get one that works for you, just go out and buy it. You also need to make sure that your PC has the speed, RAM and HD space available because some of those editing software packages use a lot of all of that stuff.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2007 at 5:12pm
Turns out I have Movie Maker on my computer. I messed around with it and it is pretty easy to use and figure out. Seems like basic level stuff, which is fine for now, although I like 75, haven't been able to burn to DVD, if it is even possible.

I was able to take some still digital photos and short video clips from the digital camera and add some audio to creat a short 5 min. movie.

M3Fan - I currently have a Windows based system currently. I'm not necessarily looking to upgrade in the near future, although there would be benefits. I have several friends who also run Macs and share your opinions.

Backfoot - In addition to the digital camera, I also have an older Sony Digital Hi8 camcorder. Lots of video of the kids as they grow up. I would like to convert to DVD. But right now I don't have the necessary connections to copy from the camcorder to the computer, edit, etc. My current technological limitations only make it possible for me to copy to VHS.

Looks like I need a new combination of computer, digital camcorder, DVD burner/recorder, etc. Damn, there are only 361 shopping days till next Christmas.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2007 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by tnplicky tnplicky wrote:

Backfoot - In addition to the digital camera, I also have an older Sony Digital Hi8 camcorder. Lots of video of the kids as they grow up. I would like to convert to DVD. But right now I don't have the necessary connections to copy from the camcorder to the computer, edit, etc. My current technological limitations only make it possible for me to copy to VHS.

Looks like I need a new combination of computer, digital camcorder, DVD burner/recorder, etc. Damn, there are only 361 shopping days till next Christmas.

I also have a whole desk full of VHS analog tapes of my kids growing up that I want to convert to DVD. There are converters out there that allow you to convert those to digital and download to your computor and then edit (with an editing software) or just burn to a DVD. Those converters cost $100 or even a little less. Like I said, once you start tackling something like that you need the horsepower in your PC or the process will be either way slow, crash the program or just not run at all.

In your case, HI-8 is already a digital format so you only need a player (your HI-8 camera) and the editing software to convert to DVD.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2007 at 12:00pm
The other problem I alluded to earlier is I do not have the right connections to hook the Sony Hi8 camcorder to my current computer configuration. I only have USB connections on my computer. The camcorder has the Sony iLink (4 pin Firewire) connection. The only connection cables I am aware of go from Sony iLink 4 pin to either a 4 pin or 6 pin Firewire.

I think I need to by a Firewire expansion card for my computer in addition to a cable.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2008 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by tnplicky tnplicky wrote:

I think I need to by a Firewire expansion card for my computer in addition to a cable.

I think your right!

Sounds like your on the right track.
Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 12:45am
I've been thinking about doing some video editing / merging myself and a number of people I've talked to say the first recommendation is to use a Mac and if you can't use a Mac, try using Nero. I think you can download a trial version and if you like it, purchase it.
Andy

'83 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic