Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tips before I decide to buy?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kalehner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalehner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips before I decide to buy?
    Posted: January-16-2004 at 7:45pm
I am considering purchasing a 1969 Mustang. I have been around boats most of my life but never owned an inboard. The boat appears to have been well maintained. It was recently repainted, interior and carpet in good shape and the current owner claims that the Holman Moody 302 was rebuilt about 200 hours ago. The cylinders were bored and oversize pistons were supposedly installed. I would like to use it to pull skiers (mostly younger kids). What are some of the important facts I should get about the boat before I decide to buy? I am in Wisconsin and this is not Jerry Kashmer’s Florida boat. The asking price is a little less than $6000. Larry: How is your search on the east coast going? Thanks for any help you can provide. K.
Kevin
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2004 at 9:48pm
i will not venture into should or shouldn't (but i would buy it), but all the true HM's i have listened to are louder than most boats.

on that note, slip a couple hundred in the budget for mufflers if it's too loud for the kids.

buy or make a removable swim platform so it's easy for the kids to get in and out.

just like a car, fresh paint would be my biggest worry. was it gel-coated or painted?

check the stringers for integrity. (motor mount bolts should tighten up if they are not rotten)

do a compression/leak down test. a vaccume test would be a good idea. an hm cam might be low on the scale, but look for a steady reading. the date code on 1969 would be C9blahblah. the block (under the starter), heads(under the valve cover) and intake should all have this code.

smell the tranny fluid. when you take a test drive, see if the drive shaft tries to spin in neutral or makes any odd sounds when she's cold or first started up. there is a test port to check the pressures if you want to.

any vibration?

after your run, check the bilge for excessive water and oil stains.

make sure the starter/alt/dist and carb are marine approved items.

the cooling system on an hm does not flow water thru the exhaust until the thermostat opens, so it might have gotten hot a time or two.

check the prop for nicks and see if the shaft is straight and the rudder is tight.

if it checks out, i would buy it.

Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2004 at 12:36pm
Tryan covered it all-is your boat a Mustang or Mustang SS??? I think Hm engines only went in SS's in '69
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
kalehner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalehner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2004 at 9:41pm
Thanks for all the help. I’ll keep you posted as we move forward. I am meeting with the owner tomorrow and will see if he has any of the original documentation on the boat. Thanks again! K.
Kevin
PKster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PKster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2004 at 3:52am
And make sure it sits level in the water. A slight lean can mean the the floor must be replaced.
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2004 at 5:22am
Originally posted by tryan tryan wrote:

...when you take a test drive, see if the drive shaft tries to spin in neutral ...

What does that indicate? Mine does that, I didn't know it shouldn't. Should I be worried?
'86 2001
'50 Century Imperial Sportsman
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2004 at 12:05pm
funckster, from the manual......it's and indication of a warped or tight clutch pack, bad bushing and seals.

nice fog shot. it pays to know the lake at those times. been there.
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2004 at 2:50pm
Thanks Tryan. Something else I need to look into...

That pic was taken last summer. I dug it out recently because we've had high temps in the single digits and teens here lately and I'm jonesin'. That pic was taken last summer when I was on vaca and couldn't sleep. I got up before the sun and took some pics. It was one of those on one of those perfect summer mornings when it's like 80 before the suns even up and you know the fog will burn off and you'll be in or behind your boat all day. :D Is it July yet? ;)
'86 2001
'50 Century Imperial Sportsman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic