Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Nautique Logo: Stickers vs. Paint

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wakerider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Nautique Logo: Stickers vs. Paint
    Posted: January-11-2008 at 5:20pm
My dad and I recently bought a 1978 ski nautique and are trying to recover its once "good looks" Our problem is that the 1978 nautique has the logo painted on the side, therefore we can not get the original sticker kit. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to go about getting the original logos on the boat? We thought about using a stencil to have new stickers re-made (but not the original) or getting stickers from a different year to put on the boat. My thought was to make the boat completely original by designing my own "ski nautique" design in artistic format and having a sticker made from that. Would putting a design on the side of the boat that is not "original" ski nautique manufactured degrade the price of the boat in the future?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 6:47pm
The graphics and Lettering are not a sticker to begin with. They are painted on with Rustoleum enamel which you can still buy at Graingers. There are no stencils available for that as far as I aware. Best way to do it is to remove the old paint and there will be enough of a ghost image to use as a guide when retaping for the new paint.

Put it back the way it was and retain some resale value as well as classic looks.

If you do a quick search for wet sanding, painting, lettering or graphics you'll find enough reading to kill a few hours.

Several of us including myself have done just what you're going to tackle so I would suggest doing a little reading and then ask any questions you may have left before you get started.

Welcome aboard.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 7:14pm
Wakerider;

I am going through a similar process as you. As 81nautique indicates, these graphics are Rustoleum gloss enamel. Keep it original also as he said. You will have to tape it off and paint spray the graphics.

Something new I just picked up on this afternoon was the black shading around the graphics, assuming the '78s had the black shading.....leave your tape on, and then airbrush around the perimeter of the letters. Keep the center of your airbrush spray on the tape and not on the boat for best results in shading. Otherwise, too much black goes on the boat and doesn't look right.

Dave
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 7:27pm
My 76' has the same black shading... The color would look extremely bright without it..

They actually used quite a bit of black as the accent color...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 7:36pm
Wake, I'm in total agreement with Alan and Dave as far as keeping it original. In fact if I was too say anything else the members on this site would think I was a different person posting!! I do feel that doing your own graphics on the boat will hurt the resale value. Stencils for paint can be made by a sign company to make the painted lettering easy. The stripes can be masked with tape.

David (above) is going through the painting process and there is some info in this thread:
Stripes

Alan (above) painted his (a year ago?) and the job looks great.

Which color is it? The astro turf type carpet is still available. I have a 77 that the previous owner put vinyl graphics on. He did match the style but when it needs to be redone, I will go back to the paint.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 7:41pm
I masked mine with 3M's tape "the Edge". It gives a very clean edge. Find a boat with your design and trace it on a roll of tracing paper and transfer it to yours. The best vinyl is good for 7-9 years, and that's black and white, not the colors.

just don't do something stupid like this..
Tim D
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 7:54pm
Pete,
   Do you have a source for the astroturf, i see some around the home improvement stores here but I wouldn't use it is not the same.
I have to do the front floor area on my 83 this year and although I am leaning toward redoing the whole thing in some very plush modern marine carpet it would save me redoing the sides of the boat (which are absolutely perfect still) if I could match the new floor carpet to them.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 7:59pm
Joe, heres the link to the blue astroturf that Pete sent me. If its not exact, its extremely close. Though I havent compared side-by-side, the sample they sent me looks exactly like the stuff wrapped around my mufflers.

Blue Astroturf
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 9:27pm
Joe, That's the stuff. When I got the Tique, the floor Astro was all matted down so I wasn't to replace it. I went to Menards and bought enough for the floor but the stuff was really on low quality side. I saved it and used it to re carpet the bunks on my boat lift. The Carpet that I got from Capri has got extra backing and is plusher. I only re did the floor and you really need to look close that it isn't a exact match.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 10:57pm
That looks like two shade of blue, i think mine is blue with black flecks... will have to investigate.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2008 at 11:48pm
This is a photo of my 82 that was painted with imron in 1995. I loved the color combo of the new boats at the time so we just copied it using the original Ski Nautique pattern. The fog in spray down the center is almost a green color. I think think this will outlast any decal. It was a lot of tedious prep work, but well worth it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic