Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

suggestions 84SN resto

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bz84Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bz84Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: suggestions 84SN resto
    Posted: January-16-2008 at 8:55pm
In the next few months I am going to begin restoring my 84Ski Nautique 2001. I am having all the interior skins and carpet replaced and am wondering if I should keep it original or do something new. Same thing with the side and rear stickers-original or newer? I am waiting to see if SECC has the stickers and how much there going to be. I could also use a new shifter and speedos, since the chrome is becoming pitted.    I am hoping you all can help me make up my mind.
Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2008 at 9:12pm
I think you'll find that most of us here will try to convince you to do an original restore.

The graphics on a '84 would have been painted, not stickers, FYI.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bz84Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2008 at 9:38pm
I was not 100% sure they were stickers, but
California CC said they could order them if they didnt have them in stock. I tried to buff them out and give them a new shiny look and it didnt seem to make any difference so I assumed they were not painted on.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2008 at 10:34pm
Are you talking about the large Ski Nautique logos on the sides? If so, if its an original '84 (like pictured below), the main graphics are simply a lack of paint (the stripes are painted). BKH, remind me, is the "2001" a decal?

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2008 at 12:10am
I myself do not like the look of the newer decals on the older boats, some members do but I don't. The interior I would keep the close to original. Functional changes are usually widely accepted. But in the end it is your boat. Just my two cents.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2008 at 12:57am
My thoughts are if you are going to modify, do it in a manor that suits the boat. If it improves your ability to enjoy & use the boat, then do it. i believe towers & bimni's can look good if done right. Some hate towers full stop
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2008 at 11:28am
The "2001" the pinstripe, the correct crafts since ? , and flag decal are all stickers the rest is rustoleum or lack thereof as Tim described. Of course someone may have modified the boat in the past and "updated" it to later SN decals.   Let us see some pictures on that boat BZ. Now as to original or not I say do whatever makes you happy with the boat, just don't expect to see that money back if you try to resell it. We can talk you through just about any fix/update/upgrade you can think about here.

Good luck,
Joe.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2008 at 12:34pm
Bz, Since I'm noted for being very pro original, I'm throwing in my normal keep it original comment!! Chopper mentioned "do it in a manner that suits the boat" and to me that manner is the way the factory made it. Joe mentioned that the resale value will go down. I concure with that simply because everyone tastes in what looks good differ.

This is a extreme case of what looks "good"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bz84Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2008 at 12:58pm

My boat is identical to the 84 in the pic above,
Joe says the pinstripe is a sticker, which is what I want to replace as well as the 2001 logo and the American Flag emblem. I would never put a tower on my boat, it looks tacky.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bz84Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2008 at 1:17pm
Is the rub rail on the 84 as same as the 85 2001? I will most likely replace that as well. Thanks again for the suggestions, as soon as I get out of Iraq I can start spending all of that money I saved on my boat. p.s. I dont have a wife or any kids, so my money goes to the boat, gas, and beer.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2008 at 2:10pm
Get out of Iraq safely, and thanks for serving! I like the stock look. Although I varied mine a bit (see recent paint vs decal thread) I was pleased with the results. I think a thicker carpet makes a big difference in feel and sound. You can try and clean up the gauges, and someone here sells a very nice replacement decal for the speedos. I love the airguides they make the dash! Take your time and tape out the stern lettering instead of painting over it. All lettering should be the hull color with no paint...as previously mentioned. best of luck

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 2:34am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

This is a extreme case of what looks "good"!!

Hey now THAT looks good
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 1:37pm
Bz -
My brothers 84 2001 is just like yours.
I'm a silly servant @ Cherry Pt MCAS are
you east coast or left coast ?

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bz84Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 5:38pm
waterdog,
Twenty Nine Palms CA-5 months
Iraq-7 months
Its a great way to spend the next couple years.
I am originally from FL,SE of Orlando
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic