NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Info plate on SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Info plate on SN
    Posted: January-24-2008 at 2:02pm
Hi
Is there a way of seeing what was on the ID plate as it has worn off, but has a faint ghost image left if I hold it in a dim light.
As my boat has no other markings left just the engine number, which I think would have changed over the years.
My SN could 1976 or up to 78.

Many thanks roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2008 at 2:51pm
post a picture of it and we'll help you out
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2008 at 3:05pm
Roger, You might want to try and get an "etching" or "rubbing" of it. Place a blank white sheet of paper across it and lightly color over it with a dark colored crayon, artists chalk or by using a #2 pencil (not mechanical) and rub it back and forth with as much surface area of the lead as you can. Hopefully that will work. Let us know.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2008 at 7:17am
Roger,
There's some discussion of the age of yur boat in this thread:-

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5028&KW=Tomski.

How's resto going? My progress is slow since my covered storage man has let me down and the weather is not helping at the moment. I hope to get the rest of the floor out this weekend.
Easily Parted From Money
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2008 at 1:29pm
Hi
Thanks for all the thoughts 79 shall post pic of plate and boat ( its all in bits at the moment).
Morfoot
Shall try the rubbing out, and let you know how it works.
Tomski
I have all the floor out,and engine,stringers would have been ok for few years, but gone for complete renew, so when I regel the boat will not move and crack the gel. will post pic of it so far as it has been drying out
for 2 weeks ready for the new stringers.
Sounds like you are on the same track, best of luck as the floor is not to bad to remove,but wet foam and the smell is not good.
Thanks for the thread shall have a look.

Thanks All roger.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2008 at 8:49pm
Hi
Some shots of my SN before the foam was taken out,and yes I know she bad but we have few old SN over here.
And of the ID plate.

roger.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2008 at 9:45pm
HI
Some shots with the foam out
roger.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
nautiquefanatic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2008 at 11:48pm
Roger, Paul here....your parts buddy here in the U.S.A.!! Your boat is DEFINATELY not a 79, just from looking at the missing front vent on the bow of the boat and the way your speedos will mount. It will be a 78 or earlier model. I am still working on your "wish list". May have some more items for you soon!

Your hull identification number should be stamped in the hull, on the transom, in the upper right corner, just below the rub rail. That is the number everyone is wanting you to photo or trace. That will put to rest the question of the year of your boat.   

Keep up the good work!

Paul
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 1:39am
Hey Tim; Fix this guys pics so we can see them better huh?

UK; Keep up the good work and keep those pics coming. We love to watch the progress. Stick with Paul...if he ain't got it...you ain't gonna get it!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 7:31am
Good to know it's not just me with my hands in that stinking stuff then. I worked in a boat yard for 6 years and that rot smell never leaves you - I can smell a decaying boat about a mile away. My stringers are OK though, which is a bonus, just letting them dry out now.

Can't decide whether to stick with the fibreglass floor or just go for plywood, I'm thinking the latter for speed and ease.
Easily Parted From Money
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 8:38am
Nice engine stand!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 8:58am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Nice engine stand!

Agreed! It even looks like Rodger made it from Maple!

Rodger, It certainly looks like you have a project but from the looks of the engine stand, I know the boat will be easy for you. I'd like to make a suggestion though. Are you making new stringers or just drying out the old? It's not clear in your post. I would replace the stringers with new wood. You mentioned that they are good but just need to be dried out. My concern is that the rot spores may have already started but visable signs haven't shown up yet. I would hate to see you put it all back together and then have a problem within a couple of years. It wouldn't take much moisture to start up the process if spores are present. You have the old ones so your patterns are in hand. Do use epoxy and make sure the bottom of the stringers/wood has epoxy on them too. You do not want the wood absorbing moisture from the bottom edges. Keep in mind the problem with polyester is it is hygroscopic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 9:56pm
nautiquefanatic
Paul thanks for your post, let me know if you find parts, I know you are the man for parts.
Had a look for this number,nothing as yet, you do mean up inside the boat, if it was on the outside the boat has had many coats of paint, so long gone.

thanks roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 10:06pm
jbear
Thanks for the encouragement as it hard to get on when it's cold wet and dark.

roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

if it was on the outside the boat has had many coats of paint, so long gone.

It is on the outside, and yours may even have filler in it. I bet someone here knows how to recover it.
1988 BFN-sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 10:11pm
Tomski
Yes I think Ply will be the way I go too,will coat in Epoxy all over to seal it all up.

roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 10:23pm
BuffaloBFN
Hi Glad you like the engine stand, got the idea when I saw your one in the pick up, just add a small mod so I can move it around with a pallet truck or fork lift.
Thanks for info on the number, shall get the sander out.
Will post a picture on the pallet truck.

roger
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 10:35pm

just add a small mod so I can move it around with a pallet truck or fork lift.

Nice touch!

Thanks for info on the number, shall get the sander out.

The hull ID is made of the same material as the hull. It's just a raised part of the mould when they shoot it so be careful. From the outside, it's a recessed rectangle with the numbers recessed a little more and is under the rubrail behind the driver's seat as mentioned. Try a really bright light...maybe it wasn't filled perfectly.

1988 BFN-sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 10:49pm
8122pbrainard
Hi Thanks for your thoughts, well spotted on the Maple I had some off cuts, so as it came from the US its only right to use on an SN.
I am changing all the stringer's,I hope to use grp but hard to find something in the UK that would work, so it's back to wood,will use a mahogany type wood I think,all coated in Epoxy and re fixed with Epoxy.
Please keep all the feed back coming as it all helps as this is my first boat.
roger.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 11:06pm
BuffaloBFN
Thanks for the tip shall be careful,will keep you posted, now off to bed its 1am over here.
roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 12:23am
Roger: Sure is "fun" talking to you and Tom...you guys even post with a British accent. That is one of the great things about this site. We get to meet guys from all over that love these boats.

You sure got yourself a project for your first boat but I bet you'll be glad you did it when its finished. Probably not to many C/C's over there huh?

Keep up the good work and those pictures.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 7:10am
John, glad you like our posts, and our accent - I feel it's my duty to try, at least, to maintain the standards of the Queen's English.

Ordered the ply yesterday, boat goes into the barn this weekend so it's all go from now. I'm determined to have it ready for the water by easter, even if it's freezing and there's no way I'll use it.

On the big project point, my other half said to me on Sunday when she came back from shopping and looked in the boat "ooh you've got on well. Do you ever think "what have I done?" I mean you've taken a useable boat and pulled it to bits. All that work and it looks a lot worse than it did when you started."

Can't argue with that really, not at this stage anyway.

Easily Parted From Money
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 9:26am
Rodger, It sounds like you have some wood background in you but I'd like to get my 2 cents in or in your case wouldn't that be a couple of shillings!! If you go with mahogany for the stringers, be very careful on the species. These days so called mahoganies come in many species that only resemble the good old African and Hondurus. The one to stay away from is Okume. It is popular especially in plywoods but it is very prone to rot. Okume is used successfully in cold molded boat hulls but this is because that method is epoxy saturation of the wood. From a cost standpoint, in the UK, you can probably get a mahogany for less that our standard over here - Douglas fir. Close relatives to the doug fir that you may want to investigate would be Sitka spruce (Scandinavian) or Siberian larch. Keep the pictures coming!

When you get a chance, go back in and edit your posts with the pictures. Using the "enter" key between the picture descriptions will stack them from top to bottom instead of left to right. This will narrow up the thread to a normal page width and just make it easier to read.

I must say again that you certainly have a project in your hands!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 5:48pm
Tomski
Good to here it all on track,keep me posted on the floor using ply as you will be fitting before me, and tips can save time.
Nice to see the other half is full of support.

roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 6:23pm
jbear
Thanks to you guys over in the US for all the help, Correct Craft is not a well known in the UK I came across the make on holiday on the Greek island of Corfu, the 2 boats run 8 hours a day 6 days a week from May to midd October each year, with few brake downs and this year will be my 7th, so if a boat can do that its the one for me, so I looked around for one there are a few around new and old, and could go new but its not me,like to build and restore find it more fun,each to there own I think.

roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 6:50pm
8122pbrainard

Hi will be using an African mahogany for the stringers but they keep changing the names probably to beat import restrictions, I use some a few months back, machined very well only thing was the dust was like snuff even with a mask on.
Thanks for the tip on the pictures and how to post, sorry guys have reset now.
And yes I do a bit of woodwork.
Will let you know what they call the wood in the UK may be the same in the US.
Thanks roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 2:02am
Sure like the sound of your wife Tom.

Roger; I agree...to restore is more fun...at least for us guys that don't have to do all that messy work...we just get to enjoy your labors.

Keep those pictures coming guys.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic