NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Correct Craft Trailer Fenders

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct Craft Trailer Fenders
    Posted: January-29-2008 at 1:28am
My Tique needs new trailer fenders. Since generic fenders dont fit or look quite right on a CC trailer, Ive been looking for a shop to make a set for me.

Ive found a local shop that can fab them up based on the one good one that I have. If I have them make several sets at once (~5), the cost is slightly lower. Pricing would be roughly $200 per set, which seems very reasonable to me.

I am wondering how much interest there is in having these fenders reproduced. Judging by the diaries and brochures in the reference section, I believe all the CC single axle trailers from 77-82 used these fenders. It is also quite possible that the later 2001 trailers (83-89) used the same ones. I could confirm that if someone was willing to measure their's.

Here are the fenders in question:

Any takers?

Pete, I know the fenders on your trailer arent original!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 9:56am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pete, I know the fenders on your trailer arent original!

Tim, I'm not too sure. The PO didn't say that they had been replaced. I guess I was just lucky that I was able to clean mine up some and repaint. One was pretty mangled from a blown tire (the PO liked to use automotive cheap tires!) but with some hammering and some filler it didn't come out that bad.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 11:04am

Pete, no way are those original. Im surprised you didnt notice! They do look great, but maybe you should get an original set- it will make you feel better
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 11:51am
OK Tim, The bottom flanges had rotted off and the PO crudely welded on some old angle he must have found in a field someplace. Yes,I did bend up the non-original diamond plate to replace the flanges plus put the anti-skid pads on the tops!!! It did hurt my strong pro original character but I rationalized it as stepping points. I did have painted on it before the diamond but then everyone climbing into the boat messed up the paint. I know you can appreciate that because I know you certainly like things clean and neat!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

OK Tim, The bottom flanges had rotted off and the PO crudely welded on some old angle he must have found in a field someplace. Yes,I did bend up the non-original diamond plate to replace the flanges plus put the anti-skid pads on the tops!!! It did hurt my strong pro original character but I rationalized it as stepping points.

Pete, I wasnt talking about the flanges- the height and angles look different to me. I always assumed them to not be original. They look great, though.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 1:06pm
I got $5 on Pete "keep it custom" having some taller fenders than original. Tim, they very well may be the same ones through '88, I think the '89s were a bit different the bends aren't as sharp. The fitment may be the same though.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I got $5 on Pete "keep it custom" having some taller fenders than original. Tim, they very well may be the same ones through '88, I think the '89s were a bit different the bends aren't as sharp. The fitment may be the same though.

Thats a bold statement!

Good call on the '89 fenders- they do look a little softer. The overall shape looks the same though, and I bet youre right that they would bolt up fine too. I still gotta confirm that the 2001 dimensions are the same as mine- they did make a jump to a 15" rim in '86.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 1:12pm
Who really knows what was going on down at the Billy-Bob trailer and screen door factory?? (I'll probably get another chewing out from the Doc on this again!!) I have noticed the 2 styles too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 1:15pm
edit: Pete you may be right on this one. If your trailer is a Low Boy, those could very well be original fenders. It looks like the frame on the low boys extended all the way to the back of the boat, so Im guessing thats the case.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 1:41pm
I guess I'll be donating $5 to the site... sorry Pete.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 1:48pm
Pete, there you go again with that mindless bantering and gutter talk of the fine craftsmanship that can only be found down here..........
I seem to remember that this type of behavior only surfaces during the long winter nights and cold days that "you guys" tend to have north of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Just to clarify one more small detail, Billy and Bob have dissolved their relationship.This is in an effort to add some new genetic material to the gene pool.
The last we heard from Bob was he heading North to open a whore house, having very little start up money , he will run it by hand till it gets on terra firma.
Billy will stay here close,as he and his sister are expecting their first child.The screen door shop does well in the winter here , go figure that.
There is a large workforce to pull from within the small town . Family values stand tall there and everyone is related,one Dad and 4 Moms with 37 kids keeps the Uncle /Aunt /Cousin thing close to home.
Hope this brings you up to speed as to the inside workings of the Billy Bobs Fab Shop...........   
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 2:18pm
ah the dreaded lowboy factor... Tim I will attempt to remember to measure my fenders at lunch today I have to stop out at the shop anyway.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

ah the dreaded lowboy factor... Tim I will attempt to remember to measure my fenders at lunch today I have to stop out at the shop anyway.

That measurement would be great, Joe- but no rush. I havent even measured mine yet, as the boat is a few hours away. Im just trying to get a jump on this project!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 3:23pm

Who really knows what was going on down at the Billy-Bob trailer and screen door factory?? .

Hilarious, My first job out of high school was working at a screen door factory, it's all starting to make sense now.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 3:57pm
TRBenj,those fenders on that Tique trailer,I know they look bad but are they rotted through or can they be sand blasted?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by bmiller bmiller wrote:

TRBenj,those fenders on that Tique trailer,I know they look bad but are they rotted through or can they be sand blasted?

The right fender looks like swiss cheese... I suspect the left isnt far behind, though there are no holes yet. Trust me, if I could save them, I would!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 4:37pm
Well I forgot to get the angle but its about 15.5 across the top, 9 for each angle and the mounting flange is about 2.75 on each side.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Well I forgot to get the angle but its about 15.5 across the top, 9 for each angle and the mounting flange is about 2.75 on each side.

Should be enough info to figure out if theyre the same. If anyone with an earlier trailer wants to measure theirs for comparison, go right ahead. Otherwise, Ill measure mine in a few weeks when I cruise back to CT.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

edit: Pete you may be right on this one. If your trailer is a Low Boy, those could very well be original fenders. It looks like the frame on the low boys extended all the way to the back of the boat, so Im guessing thats the case.

To be completely honest, I really don't know which trailer I have! I also never took a good look at the differences nor have I seen them side by side. The bunks do go almost to the transom of the Tique but this may be because it is a #3 and not a #2. My trailer does not have a drop axle and I thought the LB's were all dropped! Looks like we need to do some research.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 7:59pm
I dont know Pete- you also have a prop guard, which I dont think #3's had either. Those are supposed to be for a 17-18' boat, so now Im confused. Your axle lines up in the same place on your Tique as a #2 would. From the pics it looks like you have a drop axle, but it could be my eyes playing tricks on me. I agree that your boat doesnt seem to sit as low as the Tique on the lowboy shown above. Strange.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 9:03pm
Tim, My Tique trailer is up north but my other trailer is here. I just went out and took at look at it. The Tique trailer is slightly smaller so I feel now it is a #2 and the one here (used for my X55) is the #3. I painted the Tique trailer and rewired it so I know for sure it isn't a drop axle but yes it does have the prop guard. The #3 does have the drop and doesn't have a prop guard. The bottom line is none of this really helps with the two different fenders!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 9:07pm
Not to hurt you guys feelings, but why do you suppose CC switched to those ugly boxed fenders versus the much better looking round ones?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 9:45pm
COST.....................
CC was not in a cash flow mood during that time, and any means to save a buck.......
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 7:35am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

COST.....................
CC was not in a cash flow mood during that time, and any means to save a buck.......

Yes
Or making their own fiberglass vents with left over glass/resin.
Or on the cheaper models using 2 step pads instead of 4.
It all adds up!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 9:26am
The LB trailer I used to have did have a factory prop guard...welded on instead of bolted on.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 10:54am
Pete, I think you're right that your Tique trailer is a #2. The #3 came with or without the drop axle. This is an assumption but I think the drop axle came with a prop guard because the boat sits so much lower to the ground.

I've seen a bunch of 18' Nautiques with the #2 trailer and although they must be capable of carrying the weight it just doesn't look right with 3' of the boat hanging off the back. That had to be a financial decision on the original buyers behalf to go with a #2 as I'm sure a #3 was standard.

The brochures don't show a prop guard as an option so maybe it was part of the "loading Package". I wouldn't own a trailer without one.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 12:13pm

My trailer does not have a drop axle and I thought the LB's were all dropped!

Was that a typo? Double or nothing there is a drop axle under that Tique, alteast in those pictures there is...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Was that a typo? Double or nothing there is a drop axle under that Tique, alteast in those pictures there is...

Ok Kev, I'll take you up on this one! You haven't been doing to well on your bets lately! You will have to wait until I get up north and that won't be until Memorial day. You do realize that a drop axel is the forged offset from the spring seat to the centerline of the wheel.

Don't worry, I'll remember. I still owe Reid a beer when I see him at GL. I even think he said he wanted a New Glarus Spotted Cow! At least he has good taste. I was drinking the Uff-Da Bock when I was up north over New Years. Great stuff!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 1:03pm
Drop axle showing offset from spring seat to wheel centerline. It is not a bent center setion of the tube between the spring seats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 1:11pm
How many of you guy's out there need inside wheel well close outs? I made a couple for mine as it also came with out them. I made them out of Carbon- Fiber and used some sheet metal screws to hold them in place. Found out the hard way that they work well as I blew a tire once and the fender was sacrificed but no harm to the boat. I still have the mold and can make a few fairly cheap to those who might be interested. You can install them without removing the boat from the trailer and they are one piece so installation won't be but maybe an hour. I can try to take some pics when I get home and post them if you guy's can let me know.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic