NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Woodworking Show and Tell

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 2:14pm
Now this going where I hope'd it would! That's tight Alan, I really like the style with the 'balls'. I never would have thought of that use...until now?!!?

And the story is awesome; give her a hug from me! Good people do good things and often end up together. A key west wedding comes to mind as well...

I have explored hidden catches and hiding things in plain view. My 'security hardware' is in a place noone would guess...and it's close and handy! I also don't use fasteners other than for hardware and not always for that.

Again, very nice and I'll admit to being outclassed! Put up some more.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 2:16pm
Everyone should know that there are 2 Gregs in Atlanta(or close to it)...maybe 1 is more of a jokester than the other?!!? LMAO
1988 BFN-sold

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That's really nice. What is the light colored wood, quarter sawn oak?

Thanks, That's poplar. most of my stuff was done a very tight budget back then. I could barely afford to eat so I saved money on any unexposed wood.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan, Well I must say that you have wood in your blood as well! I enjoyed your story and especially the outcome as much as seeing your projects. Very nice.

Thanks Pete, I never believed in Soulmates before I met her. We ended up buying the business together and the rest is history. You will very rarely see one of us without the other nearby. Most people can't imagine being with their mate 24/7, I feel sorry for them a bit.

Now as for real wood working you need to make sure you're still around here in about 5 years because that's my timetable for commencing a lifelong goal of restoring a prewar mahogony classic. I think I'll need you to help find one and also advice on restoring it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Again, very nice and I'll admit to being outclassed! Put up some more.

Thanks but you surpase me with detail and finishing. I can just tell from a quick glance.

I'm my own worst enemy, everyone looks at my work and loves it, I look at it and see every defect or mistake I made. Without having the time to become really good at it I've moved on to other things. Like boats!!!! I've also discovered that I really dig working with metal and am starting to have a little fun with that.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Thanks but you surpase me with detail and finishing.I can just tell from a quick glance.

I'll take that as among the highest of compliments coming from the guy who made the above projects! How 'bout we call it even? I see design and technique in your work that I don't even 'allow' myself to explore. As for the finishing part; my Dad used to own a curved stair company here in atl, and he always said that the hard part was the finishing. I've learned some about how to finish what, but I have a lot to learn. And on that note, Pete, I've enjoyed your knowlege on this subject...you must have some to share? Also on uk's thread, I was thinking 'no way it's maple' considering where he was...but you nailed it?!!? 2 points!

I'm my own worst enemy, everyone looks at my work and loves it, I look at it and see every defect or mistake I made.

You and I are kindred spirits sir! I go through the same thing. Can you say "my project is a little smaller than I intended?!!?" LOL
I've heard it said that...'the best woodworkers are those skilled in working around their mistakes'.   
1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 11:25pm
Man am I impressed! Can't wait to meet Dana after that story. Guess we could say she liked your wood.
Couldn't resist Alan..sorry.
Me and Patti work together now at the same place...know exactly what you mean. I love working with her. So much to talk about around the dinner table now.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 1:32am
Gotta luv a gal with similar interests! Here's Amy(Ms. Buffalo) working on last year's Christmas presents.

1988 BFN-sold

rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 1:40am

Most people can't imagine being with their mate 24/7, I feel sorry for them a bit.

Well said.

Rob
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 1:51am
Well, mine can't compare with the above projects, but here are my latest 2 amateur wood projects. Made the corn hole game for my daughters boyfriend for his birthday this weekend & the teak step pads on my BFN were pretty rough, so I decided to try to replace them myself. Got one of them done & one more to do.

Greg

86 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Well, mine can't compare, but here are my latest 2 amateur projects. the corn hole for my boyfriend for his birthday & my pretty self.

Don't be so hard on yourself! How much trouble was it to make those teak strips? I know Feelgood M.D. is missing a couple on his 86 BFN.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 1:22pm
ski, im having a hard time with the name of the game?   corn hole?   is it a game invented at the local correction's facility?
"the things you own will start to own you"
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 1:37pm
haha well done as usual Hollywood. & yeah eric, when you tell people you're playing cornhole, it's always good for a few really awkward looks. haha

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 1:45pm
I am actually pretty sure cornhole originated around southern Ohio.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

...in cell block D.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Joe, I think your right on that.
The name comes from the fact that the bean bags that you throw into the hole were originally filled with corn.
But I think Ohioans play two different games of the same name.
We play the same type game, with plastic sets, that is called Baggo. In fact there are Baggo leagues at some of the bars around here.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 10:32pm
I read somewhere it was New York or michigan
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 11:14pm
They are starting to play down here in the Deep south as Skicats pics showed you. Kim and I went to a huge sports bar and the had a huge game room set aside that had that specific area for that game. Looks fun! Guess its a Northerners version of Horse Shoes.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2008 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Don't be so hard on yourself! How much trouble was it to make those teak strips? I know Feelgood M.D. is missing a couple on his 86 BFN.

I am replacing all of mine with new so they match. I have several of of old ones that are fine, just need some teak oil. I would be glad to send a few out, just let me know.
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 4:55pm
Ski, Greg, besides the razzin i gave ya it is some beautiful work, you have more patience than I
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 2:08pm
That would be perfect skicat, his are old and gray so your old ones would blend in perfectly. Can you bring 2 or 3 to GL?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2015 at 11:59pm
I tried to make a new paddle.

Spalted Maple.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 9:16am
Al,
Nice work. It can be hard to find a large piece of spalted Maple that hasn't gone to far to the punky side.

I just finished this for the house up north. Douglas Fir with both leaves. Now my next decision is if I should distress it or not and then stain or natural??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 9:30am
That's sharp Pete. Do you have a detail pic of the long edge joinery?

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Now my next decision is if I should distress it or not and then stain or natural??

I've heard it all now! Distressed?!!? All that work getting it as straight and square as I'm sure it is, and you wanna beat it with a chain? I could go on with this...Mr. KeepItOriginal.   

DF is soft enough to get torn up on its own.    
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 9:45am
Greg,
I appreciate the comment from a class A woodworker. Yup, I've pretty much decided the same and not to distress it, leave it the natural color and even go the easy route with a Tung oil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 10:09am
You wood worker guys and your fancy schmancy terminology!
Looks good guys....so is the paddle to be used or for looks only!

Good to see you back Greg!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 10:48am
That was meant as a joke more than anything Gandalf; couldn't get by the association.

My first 'nice' furniture as a child was distressed oak. It wasn't sold that way I guess, but it sure had taken a few knocks and was splattered with black paint all before it was priced as new.

I bet the build quality will see it through a few chair dings and dropped bowls. Then it'll be both.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 10:53am
Thanks Tim.

That paddle is a wall hanger for me. What Pete said about that wood is understated IMHO.

I lost a big chunk of my sugar maple in the front yard this spring and have the wood where I hope it'll see that progression.
1988 BFN-sold

ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 2:34am
Man you guys all have the gift. Alan Love the Curio !
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 4:18am
nice work. I personally hate wood, more of a metal person. If this was a metalworking show and tell thread i would be inclined to share. my only woodworking projects are usually a chainsaw, an ax and maul. then stack.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic