NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Woodworking Show and Tell

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 1:18pm
Wow, that is cool!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 6:20pm
Our oldest is making progress on the table he is working on in wood shop. So far he has pretty much all the pieces ready to go to start building the base. It doesn't look like a lot right now, but when those pieces start coming together, it should start really looking good. The base is all cherry and the top will be done with the reclaimed wood we got a while back.

DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 6:41pm
That marble machine is amazing.
This kind of counts as woodworking.It is another instrument Made of wood. substrate, Keys, and cover were all hand made out of wood. I did not build the piano, that was done by a friend of mine but I built the folding aluminum frame and Legs.

1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 7:04pm
Amazing!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2016 at 11:04am
We decided to work on a couple pallet repurposing projects this weekend. Our youngest has been wanting to build a headboard and/or bed frame. He found a couple cool ideas to get the basic sizing and style down and took it from there. He got the headboard built and still has a little trim work to do. I think it's looking pretty cool and he is definitely improving his basic carpentry skills.

I decided to build myself a little shelving/table unit to keep out near the BBQ equipment for storage and a work space.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2016 at 11:20am
The table our oldest is making is coming along nicely. He has all the pieces for the legs cut and is working on fitting.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2016 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Late looking at this thread but all this talk and posting of chainsaw stuff makes me all itchy and figgity!    Cool work on the Pelican project as I have trouble cutting up a limb.

You didn't have any trouble at all cutting up your limb. I think we would all agree we would rather see you cutting on some trees or something though...

GREAT projects in here, love the re-purposing projects.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 6:31pm
Pallet repurposing projects are done and the table legs for our dining/harvest table are pretty close. He is getting ready to start on the table top now.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 6:26pm
More progress on the dining table our older son is building.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2016 at 6:14pm
Our son is basically done with the table. We're going to do a spray polyurethane finish on it once we get it home. I think he did a great job on it and I'm proud of him.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 11:38am
So, our son is done with the table, with regards to class. We're going to do a few fine tuning finishing touches at home, then put the final finish coat on it. It's not going to be stained, but it will be cleaned up a bit more on the reclaimed wood before the clear coat. The competition was today. He got some great looks and questions just in the brief amount of time we were nearby. The judges gave him a perfect score 30/30, based on the criteria they were looking at. We're very proud of the work he did and the results. In the final competition results and awards, he didn't get anything, but he is the winner in our book and we have a piece of furniture to cherish for years.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 11:52am
Speaking of "pallet projects" my brother's son-in-law has a "secret spaces" business and makes all kinds of hidden entry projects from hidden spaces for gun or valuable storage to secret entrances (like behind bookcases and such) into complete hidden rooms. This pallet wall door was one of his projects.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 1:53pm
Very cool!
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 12:46am
Bought a couple of Airguides from Steve while at Whitelake. He said they weren't from a cc. I decided to hang them in the house. This is what I came up with. Scrap wood, quick route, painted, and to be hung this weekend at the lake. Not sure why the depth perception is funky in the pic...must be an iphone thing.

78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 7:32am
I wish I could have the time, patience and talent to create such nice wood work items! You guys are gifted! The table is awesome!
Js
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 11:34pm
I finished the basement four years ago and I had this odd shaped opening that went into the storage/workshop part (unfinished) of the basement. I wanted to keep it large, in case I wanted to move big items in and out. I had this idea of a big steel fire door that was in the plant at Motorola Solutions, Inc. (as it turns out, I was just visiting the plant a few weeks ago and it was gone, so I probably could have gotten it). Then I ran across an old barn door hung in a coffee shop as decoration, and the idea stuck - create a door out of barn wood siding.

Over Easter, we were up by Green Lake at my hunting property and we noticed one of the neighbors burning in his old abandoned farm yard. There was an old barn with most of the siding stripped away, but some was still there. So we stopped in to visit and my timing was perfect as he was cleaning up for the bulldozers who were coming to knock down all the buildings the very next day (tear down the buildings you don't have to pay taxes on them). So he said take whatever we wanted. So I reclaimed the door and bunch of siding, all from the barn built in 1886.

Here is the finished project:

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 6:26am
Steve,
VERY nice! I love the door. Where did you get the hardware? The HD sells the track kits!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 11:23am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
VERY nice! I love the door. Where did you get the hardware? The HD sells the track kits!

Pete - the hinges and handle were original to the door. The track kit I got from BarnDoorsHardware.com, the HD kits only come in 6 ft tracks, I needed at least 8 ft. or at least I thought I did, probably could have got away with a little less, but 6 foot probably would have been a little short.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 6:24am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
Where did you get the hardware? The HD sells the track kits!

The track kit I got from BarnDoorsHardware.com, the HD kits only come in 6 ft tracks, I needed at least 8 ft. or at least I thought I did, probably could have got away with a little less, but 6 foot probably would have been a little short.

Steve,
You didn't ask if longer kits were available did you!! I did when I was wearing the orange yesterday!! They are. I'm familiar with barndoorshardware. I've been looking for new tracks for the boathouse doors.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2016 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Bought a couple of Airguides from Steve while at Whitelake. He said they weren't from a cc. I decided to hang them in the house. This is what I came up with. Scrap wood, quick route, painted, and to be hung this weekend at the lake. Not sure why the depth perception is funky in the pic...must be an iphone thing.

Very nice!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2016 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

I finished the basement four years ago and I had this odd shaped opening that went into the storage/workshop part (unfinished) of the basement. I wanted to keep it large, in case I wanted to move big items in and out. I had this idea of a big steel fire door that was in the plant at Motorola Solutions, Inc. (as it turns out, I was just visiting the plant a few weeks ago and it was gone, so I probably could have gotten it). Then I ran across an old barn door hung in a coffee shop as decoration, and the idea stuck - create a door out of barn wood siding.

Over Easter, we were up by Green Lake at my hunting property and we noticed one of the neighbors burning in his old abandoned farm yard. There was an old barn with most of the siding stripped away, but some was still there. So we stopped in to visit and my timing was perfect as he was cleaning up for the bulldozers who were coming to knock down all the buildings the very next day (tear down the buildings you don't have to pay taxes on them). So he said take whatever we wanted. So I reclaimed the door and bunch of siding, all from the barn built in 1886.

Here is the finished project:

Beautiful. That barn wood and any reclaimed wood is very popular. There is a place here that you can get old wood like that. The stuff can be expensive...up to $20 a board foot for large planks.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2017 at 11:24pm
Built a super simple little bench the other day from LVL beams w/ no metal fasteners.
Took longer to find this thread than it did to build the bench.

Half round cut-outs were intended to reduce weight, but on 2nd thought, flipped-over and added to increase stability.

Shame all the photobucket pics are gone from this thread.   Deleted my acct. the other day.

Keep it....from sinkin'
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2017 at 3:34pm
Very cool. Yeah, that is a shame about photobucket. I need to post a couple new pics on this thread. We've done a few more projects that would be good for this thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic