NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Woodworking Show and Tell

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woodworking Show and Tell
    Posted: January-29-2008 at 2:02pm
Alan, you suggested I start this a while back...so here goes; and thanks man, you literally saved this one for me!

This is the project I was working on when I got his good advice on glass cutting. It's a concert memorabilia case Amy asked me to make, and it will soon be full of keepsakes from Donna the Buffalo and Railroad Earth shows. The case is 31x21 and is brazilian cherry and soft maple. The purple cloth is over cork for pins.
I wish I was a better with a camera...the richer color is actual.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 3:08pm
Nice looking work Greg. I need new teak strips for my step pads on the BFN made. When can I drop off the teak?
Greg

86 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 3:17pm
first you show off your orange masterpiece, now this, do you want a picture of me for your frame? lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 3:22pm
Nice woodworking Greg
If it needs to be made out of concrete or steel, I can handle it. When it comes to woodworking, forget it. Although, I did redo my swim platform, and surprisingly, it came out great.
BTW, are those bands Country, or Western?
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

I need new teak strips for my step pads on the BFN made. When can I drop off the teak?

Thanks cat, anytime you like with a day's notice. A CCFan would also be welcome to use my shop some saturday morning if he wanted...
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

first you show off your orange masterpiece, now this, do you want a picture of me for your frame? lol

Wow...masterpiece?!!? You're either yanking my chain or being too kind. LOL

And sure, at least send me a few more FFM stickers. ...I'm still intending to darken your door someday as well.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

BTW, are those bands Country, or Western?

Thanks Lefty, and they have a touch of both but are americana. DTB does everything from rock to zydeco with reggae and cajun mixed in. RRE is bluegrass mostly...maybe a sort of rock-bluegrass.
1988 BFN-sold

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 5:34pm
Very Nice Greg,

It'll take me few days to dig out my old photos and scan them, been about 7-8 years since I did anything serious but there are a few pieces I'm pretty happy with.

I'm sure you've got plenty more, let's see um.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I'm sure you've got plenty more, let's see um.

Thanks Alan, I do have some more, but I got it started. Let's see if any of your 'closet woodworkers' care to share.
1988 BFN-sold

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 12:31am
I did a fair bit of woodworking, but soon my standards eclipsed my abilities (damn you Fine Woodworking magazine!).

Honestly, lack of space and time led me to sell off the tablesaw, jointer, planer, etc. Now I design the things I need and contract talented people to make it.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 12:45am
Man some guys on here are talented.

Don't mention "coming outa the closet"...no telling what CQ will post.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 3:15pm
Since this is a "family" site, I probably shouldn't post the pictures of the work I do with my wood.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Since this is a "family" site, I probably shouldn't post the pictures of the work I do with my wood.

What's wrong Hollywood, don't you have a zoom lens?
Greg

86 BFN
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 7:35pm
Here's my woodworking project from a couple winters ago...Kayak Album

Hopefully more wood(boat especially) projects to come...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

Here's my woodworking project from a couple winters ago...Kayak Album

Hopefully more wood(boat especially) projects to come...

Nate

Nate you F...g sandbagger you been holdin out on us, That is freakin awesome. nice job I am genuinely impressed.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 9:58pm
Nate, I too am impressed...beautiful lines and nice detail!
Edit: In going back through your pics I see a lot of manual labor...did you ever get it wet?
1988 BFN-sold

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 11:04pm
haha, well...in reference to getting it wet...im not completely sure which direction youre going with that...but in case youre not going where i think youre going...Kayak Launch

& Thanks again for the compliments guys, sorry for the thread hijack. I'll start another thread for it with the links to all the pics maybe later.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 12:58am
Skicat: LOL!!!!

Nate: Nice freakin' work! ANd that looks like quite a shop too.

BTW: I am from Ohio too...where is Rossburg?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 2:33am
jbear, Rossford's right around the Toledo area..just a couple mins south of it...near Perrysburg, Maumee, etc. where are you from?

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 3:06am
Well I started out in Lakewwod...lived and went to school in Strongsville and last lived in Avon before we moved south.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 8:58am
Greg, Your occupation as a custom woodworker isn't a understatement! Very nice. Of coarse your engine isn't bad ether!!! I knew from some of yur posts that you had wood in your blood. How about some more pictures?

I'll have to see what I can dig up too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 9:12am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'll have to see what I can dig up too!

Thanks Pete, and please do before this goes the way of the three stooges! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 9:21am
This is my Grandfather's burial flag. The pic in the corner is him in the captain's seat of a 747. He logged over 35,000 hours with 7+ years in the Navy and 32 years with Eastern AL. Yes, he was my hero and man does he have some signatures on his short-sn-order(he wasn't a drinker, so he pronounced it differently). The case is bloodwood and bird's eye maple; some laminated and some inlayed. Alan, the 'glass' on this one is UV lexan...easy to cut.

1988 BFN-sold

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

What's wrong Hollywood, don't you have a zoom lens?

You would need a zoom lens to see it from Atlanta Greg, but trust me if you're in the same room as me you'll know it's there.

Other Greg, that is some OUTSTANDING work you have done. Woodworking is a lot of fun, I enjoy it myself but don't have all the fancy tools.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 12:55pm
Ok Greg, Here's my first one but you'll have to suffer along as I need to tell the story behind this piece. Although the styling is my least favorite it is the most treasured item in our home.

The date on the back of the picture is 1994, a few months prior to building it I came home from work one day to find my wife and 2 very young children were on a plane 1000 miles away never to return. We'll leave that as it lays but being blindsided and without knowing a single soul in Chicago except the people I worked with I fell into a pretty deep hole.

Luckily one of my counterparts at work saw what was going on and knowing I did a little woodworking challenged me to get myself busy and make her something. I asked her what she wanted and she said "I don't know, maybe a box to keep trinkets in or something, surprise me"

I went to Raindogs dreaded Fine Woodworking Magazine and saw this item that caught my eye and decided to give it a shot. It is a reproduction of an 18th century spice cabinet, in those days many spices were so rare and valuable that the elite owned cabinets designed specifically to store them. Many had secret compartments to hide their most valuable items.

It is white oak and has no mechanical fasteners except for the hinge screws.

There are three hidden comparments behind the front drawers.

There is also a hidden drawer for documents in the back, you have to trip a little slide latch and the back panel drops down to expose the hidden drawer.

I put this together in one week as I was on a mission and nothing else to do with my time anyway. I presented it to my friend and she was awestruck. I really hated to give it away but I was happy she was the one recieving it.

Less than one year later she moved in along with her prized Spice Cabinet and the two have never left.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 1:06pm
Here's another of my favorites and you'll be pleased to know it comes without the long story.

Much more contemporary which suits Dana and I just fine.

This a shoe box with Matching mirror. The woods are Lacewood, birch and Mahogoney. My first attempt at inlaying. Again no fasteners except for hinge screws. Very functional item that is still in use after 13 years. this is an original Dana design, note the ball on the wall that appears to be falling from the top of the mirror.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 1:14pm
Alan, Well I must say that you have wood in your blood as well! I enjoyed your story and especially the outcome as much as seeing your projects. Very nice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 1:21pm
Very cool Alan!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 1:49pm
Bad ass projects alan...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2008 at 2:01pm
That's really nice. What is the light colored wood, quarter sawn oak?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic