NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’63 Classic on e-bay

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
Author
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 12:49am
I believe that engine box is original although it might have originally had white vinyl on it. Looks very similar to mine and other wood boxes I've seen with the solid wood reinforcing pieces to support the hinges. And that trailer really looks original, and helps make the deal as someone mentioned above. I've got a tandem axle under our Classic which was custom fab'ed by EarlJoe and JimmyLee and is the hokiest thing I've ever seen. It looks OK and pulls nice but has balance issues, which are coming from the hinged piece ?? that connects the springs to each other, as one keep becoming inverted. Opinions welcome.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 1:24am
Greg I know it's a little bit early,but if you need parts for that trailer check here-
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm
They had some parts I could not find anywhere.The springs tho no one had the right size but I was able to have them custom made,and turned out less than ones that almost fit.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 8:42am
Bob has a 45' car hauler and says he does this about every week from the northeast to georgia/florida. He said he'd put the boat and trailer 'right on the nose'...whatever that means, and he would want me to meet him at a mall or large shopping center on this end. I should have a copy of his insurance this morning.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

What's great about that boat, if it's as nice as I'm hoping, is that it's just about all original, everthing's there and the gel coat is in decent shape.

In the pic with the bassboat in the background, I see a relection on the side of the hull...like it's been in a barn or garage for years. The bassboat is pretty nasty though?!!? LOL It's missing the wing windows, but it does look very complete otherwise. I've seen here as well that those little wings are often missing.
63 Classic
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 9:09am
Greg, It's the height of the dog house that struck me as being non original. This height all depends on whether it came from the factory with the downdraft or the dual side drafts. I however feel it was equipped with the dual side drafts. My "Y" block manual does not show a downdraft version. During that time, the side drafts were really popular because it chopped so much of the engine height (5" to 6"). Besides Interceptor, Graymarine used the design too. The dog house, if not original could have been easily been rebuilt using the same construction with the plywood and corner blocks. Post the engine ID number when you get it and I'll see what info it tells.

Here's the factory picture that by now I'm sure you have looked at probably 100 times!! The dog house is low.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 9:24am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

I've got a tandem axle under our Classic which was custom fab'ed by EarlJoe and JimmyLee and is the hokiest thing I've ever seen. It looks OK and pulls nice but has balance issues, which are coming from the hinged piece ?? that connects the springs to each other, as one keep becoming inverted. Opinions welcome.      

Spring shackle centers correct?
Put a single axel under it. I remember that when I was at Watercraft Sales, I blew several tires out on dual axles. The only way to get them where you really want, is hooked up to the front end of the truck and I'm sure you know that they do not like to make sharp turns when you are manuvering them in tight places. It sure squishes those tires sideways!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 9:24am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The dog house is low.

The stern is riding low too?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 10:13am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

The stern is riding low too?!!?

Two people in the rear and about 1/2 throttle.

I wonder if Reid has ever experienced 1/2 throttle in his Classic???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 4:39pm
Pete, good point about the box being rebuilt. I originally thought mine was original but no longer think so, as it sticks about 2" above the center crossbeam. The wood is certainly old, but then this non-original engine as been in my since '63, which necessitated a taller box.

Along the line of the low boxes and side-drafts, I often concluded, whether correct or not but along the same lines you mentioned, that most vintage boat builders didn't like the box sticking up higher than the gunnel or crossbeam (is there a real name for that?). Centurys typically had the box flush with the deck for I guess what they figured gave it a cleaner look. Back 10yrs ago, I bought a little wood '67 Resorter 15', with a disassembled 4V Intercepter. When I got the pieces home I found one of the most unique 4V intakes I've ever seen. It's actually an aluminum "negative" rise, meaning it dropped down into the lifter valley as far as possible, and significantly lower than a factory cast iron low-rise. So to further that low profile goal when not wanting to use the side-draft, Interceptor or whoever had this piece cast. And it did fit below the box we verified. I've also managed to accumulate a 2V version of the same intake. If someone should ever need one of these let me know, but it's not a good piece to target unless you have a serious height restriction, and they're are for the 221-260-289-302 Ford engines only, and are for a lower HP or stock engine.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 5:06pm
Oh, and Pete as you expected, mine normally only runs at 0/2 or 2/2 throttle. But wait, I think I do recall pulling MaddMarxx on the training skis last summer at 1/2 throttle or 26.3 mph, but for only about 50yds as he fell.

These boats typically do run with a "classic" bow-high attitude at a slower cruise.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 7:09pm
Reid, Look in your Interceptor manual (the one you were giving away) and take a look at the larger engines (bigger than the Y blocks). They were available in two versions. A standard with the normal downdraft and a low rise version like you described. So the idea goes back I feel to the late 50's. Couldn't be very good for the fuel/air flow though!

Glad to hear that you got Mark out of the water on the trainers!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 8:58pm
Guys, I'm sorry to say I turned this deal down. Tim went to look at it and found it to be less than represented. The biggest discrepency was the gel...it was cracked badly and painted over. Clearly, it was not 'nice gel'. There were several other problems as well, and he turned out to be a less than pleasant fellow when he found out he wasn't getting the check.

I'll get some details up later, but what do I need to do where ebay is concerned...if anything?
Thanks
1988 BFN-sold

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 9:31pm
Sorry to hear of your disappointment. Was looking forward to another Classic restoration on the site.

Better luck next time and thank goodness that another CCF brother had your back.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 9:38pm
Greg, Im sorry the boat was a disappointment. Hopefully this all worked out for the best! Here are some pics.

The boat was sitting out in the weather when I arrived (it snowed a bit today). It didnt look as though it had been covered in some time.

This made things a little difficult, as the deck was covered in a layer of ice. I broke through in a few spots to find some pretty serious crazing/spidercracks (the dark spot is a leaf, not gel damage)

At first glance, the hull below the rub rail looked to be much better. A closer inspection revealed that it had been painted. There were a few spots where the paint was chipped, and cracks were visible through the paint.

The front was the ugliest.

I moved to the interior and discovered the cover.

As one might expect, the interior was pretty ugly since it had been exposed to the elements. There was an inflatable frozen into the front seat that I didnt dare pull out.

The running gear is present, but not the prettiest. Whats with the LH prop?

The trailer wasnt quite roadworthy yet, either.

I turned to the engine. It seems everyone was correct about the motorbox. It appears to be original AND modified to clear the taller carb.

Like the hull, the engine didnt look too bad at first glance.

Then I looked closer. Was there something living in the intake manifold?

Is it missing the crank pulley?

Oh, there it is!

Hmmm... the valve covers look loose. Lets look underneath.

Maybe the block is still good? Milky oil... maybe not...

I didnt see a dipstick on the tranny, so thats an unknown.

There was some good news- most of the parts were there. The badges, step pads, foot pedal, etc. Would these gauges have been original, by the way?

The gas gauge may have still been working- there was gas in the tank.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 9:46pm
Sorry to hear that Greg. All you need to do with ebay, if you want, is wait for the seller to write his feedback on you, (he'll call you a dead beat bidder) and then politely respond saying the boat was not as represented.

Take care of Tim. I hope he wasn't alone when he went there. I'm suprised he went today as it's been snowing since yesterday.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 9:50pm
After looking at Tim's pics, it is a real pig. Ya think some of those valves are stuck?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 10:02pm
Wow! Greg it certainly wasn't as described. Sorry as I know you were looking forward to the project. I think the owner has been letting the field mice do some restoration work on it!

As far as ebay goes, I fell HW can fill you in but don't let Reid give you any advice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 10:06pm
Oh, I forgot to mention the kicker- all the motor mount bolts spun free, so the boat probably needs stringers!

Bruce, you sure you dont want it?

It actually isnt a bad starting point for a project- though it clearly wasnt in the shape that the seller claimed. I definitely dont blame Greg for backing out! I know of someone looking for a trailer, so maybe Ill give him a call and make a lower offer once he has a chance to cool down.

It wasnt really snowing this far south, by the way. We've gotten less than an inch so far, so the trip down to Walpole was no big deal.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 10:12pm
Tim, I figured it wouldn't be as nice as I was hoping, but didn't think it would be that bad. Tell tale ebay sign = bad pictures, which they were.

For the right price, its worth buying. More than I'd want to restore, though.

Were you alone or did you have company?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 10:13pm
Well that is a let down but thanks to Tim and the forum,you weren't let down as they were unloading it at your house!
Tim, I can just imagine your jaw dropping on arrival
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

thanks to the forum, you weren't let down as they were unloading it at your house!

Exactly- nothing lost on this one.

Gary, the boat didnt look too bad until I started looking pretty close- its a nice 10 footer, as the ebay pics prove!

Bruce, I ended up going down solo- not a bad way to spend a few hrs. Dont worry, I can handle myself- bring on the rain, snow and unpleasant sellers!
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 10:57pm
Whoa- Certainly not worh the sale price + shipping costs! Greg, sorry this didn't work out for you.
Tim- very cool of you to go check it out and give the straight line on it's condition.

hey- the squirell/ mouse nest didn't look too bad in that thing..At least you could see in the bilge
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 11:29pm
As they used to say in the E.F. Hutton ads....when TRBenj talks..people listen.

Nice to know your back is covered.

Was the guy pissed that you blew his cover Tim? Bet he'da loved to put that thing on the truck and cash the check.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 1:22am
Way to go Tim. It is nice to have friends all over this fine country of ours . Tim ,, By the way , you call that a prop ? It looks well into the wall ornament phase .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 1:25am
Tim,

Excellent work, I knew Greg would be in good hands with you checking it out for him. I'm glad you were able to side track what would have been an unfortunate deal. Well, there will be others.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 1:31am
Well my heart is heavy. I'm so sad, but glad at the same time for the reasons mentioned above. I was wondering why that engine was red to begin, and now after seeing the prop I'm confident it was swapped for an auto rotation, which were red for a few years. Poor, poor girl. Maybe someone local will pick up the boat for the song it's unfortunately worth.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 1:35am
Reid , What? Not even worth the dance ?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 8:43am
Yikes! Tim, were you trying to let me down gently on the phone?!!? Those pics have completely dried my tears! I didn't expect it to look new of course, but the gel and stringers and so forth were supposed to be in good shape. I asked the seller many questions about the engine and nothing about loose parts and stray animals came up.

I just have to say that this is a shining example in how to treat people and how not to. Tim, you're the best and we thank you more than we know how to say! Know that you have an open favor to call here, and I'd be happy to send you a 'non-finders' fee or if you prefer, I'll send Keith a donation in your name; or both. The same goes for this site/all of you. I'd be happy to pay forward the efforts Tim extended to me.

The funny part is that I told the seller from the start that the sale was pending approval from an inboard expert friend of mine in his area. I guess he couldn't know that Batman/Boatman was coming to look the boat over?!!? LOL   And Tim, I'm sorry for putting you in a potentially tight spot. I guess he's the sort who's nice enough till he doesn't get his way. If I had driven up there on his word to pick it up and he had gotten nasty with me, he'd not soon forget me.

Thanks again Tim, you're a four-star Poobah!

A question I might've asked sooner, what color is the engine supposed to be?

1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Yikes! Tim, were you trying to let me down gently on the phone?!!? Those pics have completely dried my tears! I didn't expect it to look new of course, but the gel and stringers and so forth were supposed to be in good shape. I asked the seller many questions about the engine and nothing about loose parts and stray animals came up.

I just have to say that this is a shining example in how to treat people and how not to. Tim, you're the best and we thank you more than we know how to say! Know that you have an open favor to call here, and I'd be happy to send you a 'non-finders' fee or if you prefer, I'll send Keith a donation in your name; or both. The same goes for this site/all of you. I'd be happy to pay forward the efforts Tim extended to me.

The funny part is that I told the seller from the start that the sale was pending approval from an inboard expert friend of mine in his area. I guess he couldn't know that Batman/Boatman was coming to look the boat over?!!? LOL   And Tim, I'm sorry for putting you in a potentially tight spot. I guess he's the sort who's nice enough till he doesn't get his way. If I had driven up there on his word to pick it up and he had gotten nasty with me, he'd not soon forget me.

Thanks again Tim, you're a four-star Poobah!

A question I might've asked sooner, what color is the engine supposed to be?

Yikes! Tim, were you trying to let me down gently on the phone?!!? Those pics have completely dried my tears!

Just think how you would have felt if you had paid for it all through paypal and not had Tim look at it, when they unloaded it in your driveway.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 1:03pm
Greg, dont mention it- Im glad we averted disaster! There are several Fans who have been very generous to me with their time, money and hospitality. Im just glad to have a chance to pay it forward. Heck, I probably would have gone to take a look at the boat eventually anyway!

You didnt put me in a tight spot- I thought it was comical how the seller reacted. I read the same discription you did:

"I DONT KNOW IF THE ENGINE RUNS BUT IT DOES TURN AND LOOKS LIKE IT HAS BEEN OUT AND MAYBE REBUILT.THE FLOOR AND STRINGERS ARE SOLID,GELL COAT IS NICE."

Talk about BS! The best part is that he said he's had problems like this before selling things on ebay where the buyer was upset with "as-stated" condition. I almost suggested that if he took some better pictures and didnt lie in the description that maybe he would have better luck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
  Share Topic