NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1516171819 24>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 2:25pm
I forgot
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 10:31pm
I'm waiting for epoxy sometime next week so it's a good time for dry fitting. The front is level left to right and the whole floor slopes to the rear. The side stringers from the front of the bilge back have a 1/4" slope accross the length of those wing stringers to the bilge...or whatever they're called.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 12:28am
We got a little rain here this morning so I had time to switch these studs and get the tensioners on. The original studs were too short for the clips and these are stainless ARP's.

Eric, thanks for the tip on smearing the 'cheese whiz' on!

Pete, I'm almost ready for the crane!   

1988 BFN-sold

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 7:24am
Buffalo,

This is one of my favourite threads on this forum.
Amazing work and great pictures. I already put it in my favourites on my computer, in case I have a stringer job in the future...

Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming...!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 7:59am
Greg
You keep raising the bar for the rest of us, top work keep it coming,its going to be hard to match.
Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 10:00am
Thanks Kristof and Roger! Waking up to such kind words is a great way to start my day.
1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 10:21am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Thanks Kristof and Roger! Waking up to such kind words is a great way to start my day.

Man, you just got married. Waking up next to your new wife should be all you need!
Greg

86 BFN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 10:23am
Looks, great. I wish I could make mine look like that. Are you going to refoam it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 8:26pm
Cat, I just checked my complaint box...it's empty!

Thanks Riley, and I am going to refoam...and why wish, this is my first?!!? LOL

Billy, here's the pic I was talking about; gotta get back to the green.

1988 BFN-sold

Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 1:31am
I really enjoy these updates Greg. Wonderful work.

Sorry if this has been asked but are you planning on rebuilding the raised kickpanel area under the bow back to original?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:35am
Greg give me a call and I will suggest a few changes, JMHO.........Looks great and the fit and finish first class. My DAD would be proud of the quality.........Billy
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:48am
The fit and finish are awesome....seems a shame to cover up that kind of work.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 7:33am
Greg, Looking good!! I see you have to order more resin. It's always amazing how much you go through. I used a 5 gal. kit on my little Atom!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Bremsen Bremsen wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked but are you planning on rebuilding the raised kickpanel area under the bow back to original?

Yes, I cut it out with the intention of reusing it...put in other words, I didn't use the BFH on it. LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 8:51am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Greg give me a call and I will suggest a few changes, JMHO.........Looks great and the fit and finish first class. My DAD would be proud of the quality.........Billy

Thanks Doc! And that's quite a compliment.

Will you be up and with coffee at 8:30 or 9?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 8:54am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

The fit and finish are awesome....seems a shame to cover up that kind of work.

Thanks John, and I think it'll show through to the top! Not literally, but I shouldn't have white caps in my floor either?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 9:03am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, Looking good!! I see you have to order more resin. It's always amazing how much you go through. I used a 5 gal. kit on my little Atom!

Thanks Pete! When my first epoxy order came in, I looked at it like there was no way I'd use it all...that was a 6 gallon kit and I'm halfway through another just like it?!!?

I'm itching to know what Billy wants to add; any ideas? I think it'll have to do with the removable floor piece and how to keep it from doing what it did last time.
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:06am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Cat, I just checked my complaint box...it's empty!

Thanks Riley, and I am going to refoam...and why wish, this is my first?!!? LOL

Billy, here's the pic I was talking about; gotta get back to the green.

why wish, this is my first
Well, maybe if I keep going in the direction I'm going. I keep tearing stuff out as I go, and before long everthing's going to have to be replaced. What a SOB getting that pylon out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:47am
This is dry fit on top and afterwards I got the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th bulkheads glassed in.

This is also dry fit...

This is what's behind the gas tank. The wet biaxial really picks up the flash at night?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 1:33am
Looks better than some of the repairs I've seen come out of our composite shop at work Greg. " You Da Man!!"

Question though... Has Amy offered to help in any way, giving you grief over it or just telling you to HURRY UP I'm ready to go skiing??
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Question though... Has Amy offered to help in any way, giving you grief over it or just telling you to HURRY UP I'm ready to go skiing??

Amy's been a trooper! She has yet to get her hands dirty, but she's not giving me grief either. I asked her to cut a couple pieces of cloth the other day, and she said she'd just mess it up...of course I say the same thing about cooking?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 8:48am
Greg, Did you find out what Billy's idea was? I'm curious too! I know he has been busy with finishing his cruise control but that won't hold the guy back - seems like he always has lots on his mind!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 10:53am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, Did you find out what Billy's idea was?

We talked about several things like a removable floor and some sleepers to the outside between my logitudinal stringers. He's a fountain of useful info!

Maybe if I put up a pic of something really stupid, he'll come show me how to do it right?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 11:21am
It's time to figure out what to use for a finish coat in the bilge. Is Bilge Kote my best option? I saw where I have to use a specific primer first over the epoxy; maybe Krylon would be cheaper?
1988 BFN-sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 11:44am
Hi Greg
Have a look on this site, they say worked with West Systems for a Gel coat over Epoxy must be in the US as well.

http://www.scottbader.com

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:00pm
My plan is to give the rhino liner a try in the bilge this time out, I would probably stay away from the krylon.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:04pm
Greg, I think what you are thinking is when you what to put a polyester like a gel coat over the epoxy. Yes, then you need to go with a polyvinyl "conversion" between the two. The easy way is to just go with the Bilgecoat. I'd have to go back into Bill's (skibum) thread and take a look but I think I remember he did go all the way with a final coat of gel (brushed/flowed on).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:57pm
Pete, I thought he mixed white pigment right into his epoxy and I seem to remember that he wasn't completely happy with it. I need to go back and read some more.

I was joking about the krylon!

I was reading on Jamestown dist. that the bilge coat required a product called Barrierkote(?) when applying to epoxy. That's what I'll probably do. If it was still March, I'd prep it for gel.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 2:29pm
Greg,
I know you were joking about the Kylon!
Like I said, I need to reread Bill's thread too. I remember he got a real nice gloss to the final coating so I don't think it was just pigmented epoxy.
You are doing such a good (some could even describe it as extream but I love it) job that you may want to put a pretty high gloss finish on it. The Bilgekote isn't a real high gloss. If however you want it to look more like the original then the Bilgekote is the easy way. Yes, the Barrierkote is recommended but I do know that can be skipped.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 2:44pm
Here's Bill's thread: Bill's bilge
It looks like he did end up with the Bilgekote! I remember now he was having problems with the vinylester.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1516171819 24>
  Share Topic