NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1617181920 24>
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 2:53pm
pete I believe bill actually sprayed gel-kote in the bilge
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 3:59pm
Cool, if the bilgecoat can be used w/o the primer then it should be easier to sand out next winter? My plan is to re-do the gel on the outside next winter and the engine will be out for that anyway. I'll do the bilge with the rest and it'll match. Good info Pete!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Question though... Has Amy offered to help in any way, giving you grief over it or just telling you to HURRY UP I'm ready to go skiing??

Going back to an earlier post, it seems I left out a few things and may be having hot dogs for dinner tonight?!!?   LMAO!

From Amy... "You forgot to tell them that I’m the Chief Gofer, company keeper, late night cheerleader... I’m pretty good at fetching parts at West, cups at J&J, picking out shiny stuff for the engine and buying you new tools at Slacks. I even feed you while you’re working !!?!!??   LOL

I think this one's a keeper!   
1988 BFN-sold

korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 7:33pm
-
Korey Morris

1970 CC Barracuda Project
1993 Sport Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 11:55pm
Guess you need to go out and marry that Southern Bell don't you..................OH Wait! ....You already did.

Maybe she wants you to "Git er done" just so she can have her new husband back. Surely the honeymoon isn't over?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Surely the honeymoon isn't over?

Not to worry, we turned that hourglass on its side!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 12:18pm
Railroad Earth was in town last night...not too bad for a bunch of Jersey boys?!!?   

I did get a little more done.

1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Cool, if the bilgecoat can be used w/o the primer then it should be easier to sand out next winter? My plan is to re-do the gel on the outside next winter and the engine will be out for that anyway. I'll do the bilge with the rest and it'll match. Good info Pete!

If you are planning on gelling the bilge,(not original - had to get that in!!) I would just forget the Bilgekote. Tint the top coat of epoxy and leave it till next year, then you won't need to worry about removing any of the paint. Prime with the polyvinyl and then gel. When you get some time, I would reread Bill's post. The pictures of his bilge sure looked like it turned out nice!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 12:54pm
The stuff I am grinding out of the bilge certainly seems like gelkote, what is it?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

The stuff I am grinding out of the bilge certainly seems like gelkote, what is it?

Pete, I'm pretty sure mine had gel as well. See the grey spots on the front of the airbox? They are the same grey as my exterior.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 1:57pm
I've always felt that the bilges final coats were just pigmented polyester resin. Almost the same as gel. They were always shades from white to gray and it matching the color of the boat is just a coincidence. It may have some gel because A lot of left overs went into it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It may have some gel because A lot of left overs went into it!

That has a certain ring to it! LOL

The bilge was white and may have been the pigmented resin. The grey was on the floor I think before carpet glue went down...and it was sprayed under the ply around the pylon, maybe as a sealer?

I'll check Bill's post again tonight.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 7:23pm
Almost ready for the foam. My appologies to those who are against it. LOL

I have a few more support strips to put in and I want to glue in the fittings before the foam shoves them around. Then I'll take a long look to see what I forgot?!!?   LOL   If any of you see anything or have ideas...

I used 3" pvc for the accessory tube and 2.5" for the air ducting. The flexible hose is 3" ID so I used 3 pieces of 4" shrink boot and it fits like it was meant to be there.

A lot of water got into the front of the hull from the battery box drain that was broken and air hose that had holes in it. These parts should last a while! I'm also hoping that the flexible hose in between will help.

Pete, I'm deviating from original on the front seat/cooler. It's not much of a cooler so I'm leaving the drain out(another source of water in the hull).

1988 BFN-sold

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 7:37pm
Make sure all those hose/tube connections are smooth on the inside to push and pull wires, tubes and cables through. Make sure everything will glide in and out without any ridges or ledges anything could get caught on. My main concern would be the PVC elbow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2008 at 9:58am
Good point HW. If you mean the elbow on the 3" acc. tube, I wanted to use a 45 there, but had to settle on a long 90. It's better than a short 90, but maybe not as smooth as a 45 would have been.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2008 at 11:00am

Here's Bill's thread: Bill's bilge
It looks like he did end up with the Bilgekote! I remember now he was having problems with the vinylester.

So he used the 202 solvent wash, the primer, and then bigekote? Then he talks about gelcote again when the pics come up and there is overspray on the sides?
1988 BFN-sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2008 at 12:04pm
Hi Greg

Looks great, just a thought, what do the team think if you were to coat all the inside of the hull with Epoxy before you refoam to seal the hull?
As I do think moisture can come in over time on these old hulls.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2008 at 12:57pm
Roger, (I just noticed that you don't use a "d" in your name - sorry I have been putting it in!) A coat of epoxy as a non hygroscopic barrier coat is a excellent idea. In Greg's case it sure won't take much since he's got so many places coated already!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2008 at 3:00pm

A coat of epoxy as a non hygroscopic barrier coat is a excellent idea. In Greg's case it sure won't take much since he's got so many places coated already!

I almost asked about that but was thinking I might be short on 'question credits'.

I'm down to ~3.25 gallons of epoxy with the entire floor to go...I'll see how far one 3 to 1 mix goes.

I'm intending to use a layer of mat, 6oz, and biaxial for the floor. Anyone have a guess on how much goo for that?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 2:39am
It's not everyday that I can say that a Brit kept me up late last night?!!?   LMAO     (jk Roger)

I was up anyway, I forgot to tell yall that Amy went to see her mother and the party's at my house...shucks!

1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 2:45am
Man that is coming out awesome. No way you should cover that woodwork!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 2:54am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Man that is coming out awesome. No way you should cover that woodwork!

john

It's Pete's CPES that makes it look so nice!
1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 3:16am
Well no matter what its called...it is beautiful. Been fun to watch. Gotta admire the talent and effort.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 8:53am
Hi Greg
Looks even better, just a thought would 2 coats be better than 1 while its still green?
The team will know.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 12:33pm
Has anyone used either of these metal cleaners or know of 1 that's better?

This is to clean up the gas tank, pylon, and engine cradle.
Thanks
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 1:09pm

Has anyone used either of these metal cleaners or know of 1 that's better?
This is to clean up the gas tank, pylon, and engine cradle.
Thanks

Greg, Now your ARP is really showing!!! Both those cleaners are polishes that will give you a mirror finish. If you just want to clean up the tank, go with "Toonbrite". It's for bare aluminum fishing boats and pontoons. The pylon had a brush finish on it originally so I would go after it with a scotch bright pad to bring the brush finish back. My Tiques pylon is straight so I chucked it up in the lathe and used the belt sander on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 5:26pm

Greg, Now your ARP is really showing!!!

Are you picking on me about my valve cover studs?!!?

Don't look behind you...your's may be showing too!!! LOL

Do you know if #1 is machine or hand application?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 7:01pm

Greg, Now your ARP is really showing!!!

Are you picking on me about my valve cover studs?!!?

Don't look behind you...your's may be showing too!!! LOL

Do you know if #1 is machine or hand application?

I wasn't referring to the valve cover studs. Better check the ARP out with Amy! I'm pretty sure she'll know! Don't take it wrong because your project is really turning out great. It's a piece of art that I hate to see covered up with foam. Polishing the gas tank is just getting a little extreme! The Toonbrite will bring the aluminum back to look like a regular standard mill finish. It will not however remove any scratches or abraded areas.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 7:08pm
Toonbrite it is then. I don't want to spend any time on it and I don't need a mirror finish; I do hate to put it back in dirty!

Metal is a foreign substance to me. I know I can clean some things with a wire brush, but I tried that on the engine cradle and it looks terrible.

ARP=a**l retentive person? I like OCD better.

1988 BFN-sold

anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 9:21pm
I used POR-15 on my motorcycle tank and the product is amazing. Their "metal ready" removed and neutralize the rust on the tank actually revealing leaks from the rust eat threw the metal. They said it works on aluminum. I finished with a coat of their sealer and that stuff is really hard. My tank has been good for 2 years and the product is still solid. Really easy to work with.

Just an idea,
Anthony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1617181920 24>
  Share Topic