NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 24>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weeding the Pumpkin patch
    Posted: September-09-2011 at 10:45am
Originally posted by must_dash must_dash wrote:

What a fantastic thread and an inspiration. I am planning a Martinique job next year and the BFN is fairly close.

On the off chance that 'horkn' sees this thread, I would like to contact him as he did a Martinique some time ago.

Thanks you sir! We did try to have fun with it.

Horkn's Matinique is a 78 I think and a different hull. The odds are good that your 86 and my 88 are the same below the rub rail. We have a few hull experts here who can add to what I said...or correct me.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 9:44am
What a fantastic thread and an inspiration. I am planning a Martinique job next year and the BFN is fairly close.

On the off chance that 'horkn' sees this thread, I would like to contact him as he did a Martinique some time ago.
1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 9:29am
Yep Chris, we almost had a localized feline extinction!

Kind words Mark, thanks.

Doc, whenever you get to your project you'll probably find most of your questions answered here in this thread...because I had to ask so many.
1988 BFN-sold

dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 3:50am
I just love threads like this one, just went through it for the first time. There is so much great info. I know someday mine will need the same treatment - I hope its not this summer :)
I want to thank you all for taking the time to post your experiences!

Kirk
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 2:56am
Just got so excited seeing the name of this thread raise to the surface again. I can remember looking forward to the morning updates on this thread when I first joined CCfan.

Greg the memories....................
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 2:14am
Greg - Seems you had a cat episode too? Damaged your new upholstery?   
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 1:00am
Nothing is wrong. When I set up the floor, I thought it was a good idea to put a slight slope in the floor towards the bilge for drainage. What's 'wrong' is I didn't compensate on the other side; so now a performance intake won't go under the doghouse without using that spacer I built...and I hate that.
1988 BFN-sold

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 12:07am
why the floors? whats wrong?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 11:56pm
Good one Chris; and they are indeed perennial!

Looking back, I wonder if I should've completed all the cosmetic issues it has first. Ever since I got it mechanically and structurally sound, it's too easy to just twist the key and go.

My favorite rationalizations go something like this...

Why stress over the few little scabs that need fixing in the gel and getting the hull to 100% when I haven't coughed up the cash for a lift yet? I proved to myself last year that I wouldn't pull it every time we were finished with it. Plus, the quick weekday trips aren't so relaxing!

I had a somewhat amateur upholstry job done back before the stringer job, so why spring for the nice cover and it goes on and on.

Cry me a river right? It's not so far from showroom, and it'll get there one day. I'm collecting parts and pieces and have it loosly on next winter's schedule. I'll add to this thread then because part of the project list is redoing the floor and carpet. It'll be interesting to see if I find any water.

1988 BFN-sold

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 9:03pm
Must be perennial weeds!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 7:08pm
Thanks Paul, except now the kids will see.

1988 BFN-sold

67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 4:35pm
Greg,

Just went through this entire post.......You are very talented!!

Great job!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 1:40am
Till I'm blue in the face my friend.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 9:36pm
John, I meant to say that we got a big laugh on that one...she said "tell him to hold his breath"?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:18am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm getting worried that Amy has got you chained down in the basement!!

I'm not sure how you know about that, but she only did it once last week?!!?

You know we love pictures here Greg!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 1:04pm
I got the cam...but no spec sheet. It was slightly different than the other. It's in and running pretty well, though I'm still not happy with it. The vacuum is still low but is a little better. The secondaries have the white spring and are trying to open all the way up.

Looks like I'll have to accept a partial defeat this season as we are very short on water again. I could write a dissertation on what the Corps has screwed up, but the bottom line is black forest wherever you go. I will ride this w/e before I decide to put it in the garage!

The lighter side is that old/new tub is riding high in the water and cuts through rough water like it almost wasn't there...very solid with excellent handling!

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm getting worried that Amy has got you chained down in the basement!!

I'm not sure how you know about that, but she only did it once last week?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 9:24am
Greg, What's up?? No cam yet?? Is SECC still getting (got)it for you? I'm getting worried that Amy has got you chained down in the basement!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 2:48pm
Hope the new cam cures the problem, hate to see any boat out of water for repairs.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 10:27am
i bet it will pull 18 inches of vacuum
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 8:32pm
Thanks Eric...except now I'll have to take back half that stuff I said about you?!!?   LOLOL

JK Thanks!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 4:42pm
your a good sport and can handle a couple speed bumps
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Greg you know your never going to hear the end of this

I'll probably survive.

The cam was a melling off the shelf part the parts store ordered. The part description reads like it should work, but the PCM cam is its own animal. I know details about this mill now that I expect many don't. The engine doesn't come from a specific car or use other than chevy truck. The odds and ends parts come from different applications...it's been an adventure running them down, but I have receipts now! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 3:52pm
it was an honest mistake and he was going on someone elses word and I probably would have done the same exact thing.
Seth get out your die grinder were gonna grind us a cam
Greg you know your never going to hear the end of this
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 3:44pm

it should have 16 lobes and an extra lobe for the fuel pump

well I hope he doesn't half ass it like some on here do quite often.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 3:41pm
it should have 16 lobes and an extra lobe for the fuel pump
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I think I have it figured out...with the help of some good friends! If the cam gets here today or tomorrow, I should have it back in the water by saturday. As it turns out, these PCM big blocks have their idiosyncrasies!

well I hope you compare the two cams very closely before you install the new one doesn't make much since to install the same thing you took out and have the same results.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 3:30pm
I think I have it figured out...with the help of some good friends! If the cam gets here today or tomorrow, I should have it back in the water by saturday. As it turns out, these PCM big blocks have their idiosyncrasies!
1988 BFN-sold

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 3:07pm
Greg,

She still giving you trouble, or did you get it all figured out?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 11:51am
its the bevel cut planetaries, they are roughly turning 3 times engine speed when in reverse.
the whining kicks in at 1 year btw, i get first dibs on the boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 9:57am

whine? you sure that whine wasnt coming from somewhere else?

LOL I was messing with you...and no whiners here if you're still joking!

Didn't I read a post from you a while back that reverse has that certain sound because of the planetary gear?
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 24>
  Share Topic